Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Checking out a Used Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning to purchase a used Model 3 LR, and other than driving it, I have no idea what else I should check before buying. Are there any diagnostic tools or anything that can be used to pull error codes or anything?

Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, all!

I'm planning to purchase a used Model 3 LR, and other than driving it, I have no idea what else I should check before buying. Are there any diagnostic tools or anything that can be used to pull error codes or anything?

Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, all!

First, will this be a private party? What are the specs and how much are they asking so we can tell you if it's a good deal etc..

What's your price range? Please keep the remaining warranty in mind when buying a used Tesla. The warranty is exponentially more important on a Tesla due to repairs being done out of warranty are way more expensive than repairing a gas guzzler. I just got done with ordering my new Model 3 recently after spending about two weeks working out an order on a used one because of warranty. You will definitely need a record from Tesla as to what it has been brought in for. Maintenance on a Tesla is dirt cheap but repairs are not!

Reactions: tvad
There are no such “diagnostic tools” that I am aware of. If you are buying from a private party treat the purchase like any other used car. If you are buying from Tesla, ask for the service history of the car.

DO NOT BUY FROM THE USED TESLA INVENTORY!!!!!! EVER!!!!!!!!!

Watch this video, which is the first of three parts of a guy trying for months trying to get Tesla to deliver a Tesla:

Lol jeez man dont scare OP out of buying a used one. I'd rather not buy a used Tesla either but my friend got about $6 off for every mile that was on it and still had years on the warranty so he is happy with it.

I love Rich's channel but just lay out the cons instead of straight up telling OP not to buy one XD I live in Hawaii where we only have one SC. I was going to have to ship the used Tesla I was eyeing from Oahu to Maui. And it was going to take a total of..... 1 day of flying to Ala Moana to sign the cargo ship documents, 1 day to ship to Maui. I think its easier for OP unless OP is looking at a Tesla from out of state.

OP, are you getting the LR specifically for the LR? Or the upgraded interior? Or both?