Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Cheyenne, WY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[Update]

Bummer! I drove up to see the Cheyenne SC progress for myself. Since Cottonwood's report last week there has been little progress: they've set the slab but there is no transformer in sight and no one was working there at noon today.

It's not a total loss, however: there's a Five Guys in the Frontier Mall. :biggrin:

Cheyenne is one of those places with a municipal electric utility. I think installing the transformer is about the only thing left. Let's how responsive the town utility will be...Farmington has its own municipal electric utility as well.

Thanks for the pics. I almost thought they were of my car then I remembered that we both have Sig Red MS's. :biggrin:

> Lusk is the definition of "out-of-the-way." Way out of the way! [imherkimer]

But in a month or so if denizens of Denver wake up to the fact that winter is all downhill from there, that their hot town will once again be just that, and begin chanting 'Twin Cities, Twin Cities' desperately hankering to be wrapped in bone-chilling cold one last time (but in a convenient big city setting), well those that own an MS will have their route all cut out for them. Gotta think numbers here.
--

Cheyenne is one of those places with a municipal electric utility. I think installing the transformer is about the only thing left. Let's how responsive the town utility will be...Farmington has its own municipal electric utility as well.

One more thing I noticed about this specific location: there probably needs to be some bollards installed near the corner to (better) protect the transformer from errant traffic- curbs offer almost no protection.
Also, I hope that the transformer is a bit low (not the tall type), because it may be a bit of a visual obstruction to seeing approaching traffic adjacent to the corner.

> Lusk is the definition of "out-of-the-way." Way out of the way! [imherkimer]

But in a month or so if denizens of Denver wake up to the fact that winter is all downhill from there, that their hot town will once again be just that, and begin chanting 'Twin Cities, Twin Cities' desperately hankering to be wrapped in bone-chilling cold one last time (but in a convenient big city setting), well those that own an MS will have their route all cut out for them. Gotta think numbers here.
--

This denizen of Denver(ish) is champing at the bit...

- - - Updated - - -

One more thing I noticed about this specific location: there probably needs to be some bollards installed near the corner to (better) protect the transformer from errant traffic- curbs offer almost no protection.
Also, I hope that the transformer is a bit low (not the tall type), because it may be a bit of a visual obstruction to seeing approaching traffic adjacent to the corner.

That's a fair point, purplewalt. But the visibility thing isn't likely to cause much of an issue: it's all low-speed parking lot traffic and right-turners coming out of the SC lane won't be affected at all.

This denizen of Denver(ish) is champing at the bit...

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for using the proper expression, "champing at the bit." There's still hope for the English language!

Yes, and not only that: once the Supercharger string is in place, I intend to go careering across the countryside in my Model S. :biggrin:

Or make the trip interesting:

Denver-MiddleburyVT-viaCA.jpg

--

Any news on the Cheyenne Station ?

This SC will be great. I intend to shuttle up friends and family from the Ft. Collins area. Just the right distance. When people show interest in the car, I have mentioned the idea of a lunch in Cheyenne! Ha. Why not. I've run into scientists, local journalists, politicians and people on the golf course that show an awareness of what this stuff is.
I've never really cared about the cars I drive. This one is different. pretty fun/

We should plan a gathering at the SC and maybe 5-Guys to celebrate this Golden Spike moment. I will need confirmation that the SC is working before I rip up my 'return home free' card as I drive over the pass at the Lincoln Memorial in Sherman. So I'll keep my eyes peeled here for the latest. Calling out the Posse!!
--

We should plan a gathering at the SC and maybe 5-Guys to celebrate this Golden Spike moment. I will need confirmation that the SC is working before I rip up my 'return home free' card as I drive over the pass at the Lincoln Memorial in Sherman. So I'll keep my eyes peeled here for the latest. Calling out the Posse!!
--

I don't know about a "Golden" Supercharger moment; still need Vegas, Kingman, and Moab to the west of us, Cranberry and Hagarstown to the east of us.

In the local (half the country) area, this will certainly be a "Bronze" or "Silver" Supercharger moment! :biggrin:

Whoa, I jumped the gun here. I'll check with Control Central on 'doable route' vs 'official route'.

I did discover that HawthorneCA SC is only ~3 miles due east from El Segundo Beach. But on the East Coast WashDC is 124 miles west of Rehoboth Beach, DE so doable in an MS85 with a bit of care. 'Coast to Coast' is a valid concept.

Someone mentioned that CranberryPA SC is not needed since an MS85 can make it to Somerset SC without assistance. Likewise I can't comment on HagerstownPA.

Moab is not needed since Blanding > Grand Jctn is only 174 miles via UT128 shortcut. But how does one get from the Coast to Blanding? (Rhetorical question, don't answer).
--

--

While it may not be the true Golden Spike, Cheyenne is, to those of us on the Front Range, our Get Out Of Jail Free card. I exchanged phone numbers with the lead electrician at Cheyenne yesterday. He promised to send a text when the Supercharger goes live. We shall see; it ought to happen Monday, but it's out of Tesla's hands at this point. If it does go live on Monday, wycolo, I'll meet you there on Tuesday, as well as anyone else who wants to make the jaunt.