Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

chg_f081 error but still charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

meomyo

Nov 30, 2017
colorado
ok so today my gen 1 charger showed red on outside charger input on car when plugged in and red bar was flashing(on the telss part just below wall plug in) 3x in a row....then stop..the 3 times in a row, Had a new cable i always kept in car(newer gen) and plugged in and it works but only will chage up to 32 amps where as my gen 1 went to 48 amps charging if i wanted. Al;so the new cable seems to be charging but the tiangle comes up and says its not charging try reconnecting which i did but still get the error... and under service i get chg_f081...yet it is charging..but only max is 32 amps. anyone have this happen?

Reactions: Alexbv
Don't know if lights are same on your gen as the newest Wall Connector, but three red flashes are now:
Three (3) red blinks
High temperature detected; charging limited or disabled
Check the faceplate and cable handle for excessive warmth. Have an electrician remove the Wall Connector from the wirebox and verify that the conductors used are sized correctly and that the terminal block is torqued to specification.

it works but only will chage up to 32 amps where as my gen 1 went to 48 amps charging if i wanted.
40 amps, not 48
I was told the new mobile GEN 2/3 chargers vs wall only charge to 32amps
The current newest version is gen2. There is no gen3 yet of the mobile charging cords.

.i guess the original gen 1 mobile one went to 48MPS
40 amps

The old wall connectors used to be able to provide 80A, but the newer ones are down to 48A now.

Don't know if lights are same on your gen as the newest Wall Connector, but three red flashes are now:
Three (3) red blinks
High temperature detected; charging limited or disabled
Check the faceplate and cable handle for excessive warmth. Have an electrician remove the Wall Connector from the wirebox and verify that the conductors used are sized correctly and that the terminal block is torqued to specification.
its just an outlet on the wall in garage and we use the mobile charging cord that came with the car..its a 50 amp socket. We didnt get the actual wall charger unit.

40 amps, not 48

The current newest version is gen2. There is no gen3 yet of the mobile charging cords.

40 amps

The old wall connectors used to be able to provide 80A, but the newer ones are down to 48A now.
thanx sorry i meant 40 amps...so the gen 2 cable works but still shows the triangle that states unable to charge..yet its charging..Nothing has changed as far as pulling it out wrong or dropping it..the gen 1 just stopped working and makes the car input color turn red. Luckilly i have the gen 2 mobile cable but i cant understand why its charging yet gives me the triangle saying unable to charge. on and off then steady yet still charging. Did open issue in app and mobile is coming in 2 days and they made apt at service center.

Attachments

• PC230004.JPG
    PC230004.JPG
    297.3 KB · Views: 124
  • PC230005.JPG
    PC230005.JPG
    480.3 KB · Views: 70
  • PC230006.JPG
    PC230006.JPG
    369.8 KB · Views: 65
  • PC230008.JPG
    PC230008.JPG
    200.2 KB · Views: 59
  • PC230009.JPG
    PC230009.JPG
    322.7 KB · Views: 58
thanx sorry i meant 40 amps...so the gen 2 cable works but still shows the triangle that states unable to charge..yet its charging..Nothing has changed as far as pulling it out wrong or dropping it..the gen 1 just stopped working and makes the car input color turn red. Luckilly i have the gen 2 mobile cable but i cant understand why its charging yet gives me the triangle saying unable to charge. on and off then steady yet still charging. Did open issue in app and mobile is coming in 2 days and they made apt at service center.
I’m getting same error. Did you figure out the issue ?

I’m getting same error. Did you figure out the issue ?

i took it into service yesterday and waited 3 hrs while they did diagnostics.I took my gen 1 mobile charging cable and my gen 2 cable..they tried the gen one cable on 2 cars and it wouldnt work so they deemed it shot. The gen 2 cable was ok...
The errors i was getting where the car triangle said not charging but it was they deemed the main unit under the back seat for charging and 2600 to fix. They didnt give me any other diagnostic proof this was it though so i am unsure what to do. they did order the part for me and scheduled it next week..i know the service people so they removed the diagnostic fee($250) from the total...My gf who is a tech/ai person was on my case about asking for more info on diagnostics but tesla is never direct about stuff like this and she doesnt trust its that issue necause its still charging even though the orange triangle pops up and goes away.. and pops up and goes away.
My only thought is that the unit they want to replace is failing and this is how it starts?????? but who knows...what if i replace it and it still happens? lol...will they reimburse me cause i would be pissed...or are they trying to just get money for this from me? I cant believe they didnt know from it likely happening to a few other teslas in years past from the errors i showed them and such. Tesla is all about software and i would think they could go in and see why this is happening.
Will it just stop charging one day if the unit is really failing??? 2600.00 is alot...i mean i can do major repairs on my 2006 300k mile mdx if i need to to keep it going(bought it new in 2006 and it runs great) -

I just think if they were decent knowledgeable techs they would already have seen this in the database and knows what oit means and not take 3-4 hrs to diagnose it. They dont let you on the floor to watch then do anything so who knows. Algo gf thinks it should be under battery warranty because it deals with the charging of the battery but its not...Also decided to not get another gen2 cable for 275.00 and will likely get the wall charger and just retro fit it to mt outlet in the garage myself if its not hard to do? there is just an outlet box now with the 220 round plug so maybe i can figure out how to do it ? cause would rather invest 425 for that then 275 for the cable...but this isnt gonna solve my problem. lol

Reactions: Alexbv
ok then it is onboard charger issue for both you and me as there are different modules of 16A on onboard chargers. One of those module is failing and thats why we are seeing these fluctuations.
So they cant replace that one module? but the whole unit? my car is 2017 s 75d...seems kind of young to fail -did they tell you the same thing? what year is your c ar?

So they cant replace that one module? but the whole unit? my car is 2017 s 75d...seems kind of young to fail -did they tell you the same thing? what year is your c ar?
I am in Canada and technicians here are dumb. My understanding is that Tesla changes whole box. They cannot take out 1 module. After charging us for full onboard charger, they take the faulty one back to factory and replaces the faulty module in it to sell it again as refurbished part. They make double money like this and thats their business model.

I am in Canada and technicians here are dumb. My understanding is that Tesla changes whole box. They cannot take out 1 module. After charging us for full onboard charger, they take the faulty one back to factory and replaces the faulty module in it to sell it again as refurbished part. They make double money like this and thats their business model.
wow thats shady of them....i mean why not just replace the module for us and we keep the same box for less $$$? or better yet give us a NEW BOX NOT REFERB for that much $$

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Can you tell me how many Amps you get when you charge at home and when you charge at a Tesla Destination charger (not super charger)?
i dont charge at telsa destination center(service center?) ever....supercharge only on trips like 2-4x a year. at home on my 50amp circuit in colorado i used to get 38amps with my gen1 cable but it died and then this error came up..hmmm...maybe its really not dead or the faulty charger somehow ruined the gen 1 cable? But now the gen 2 cable only gets 32amps which is a shame...so i am considering getting the wall charger for 425$ aND trying to see if i can retrofit it myself onto the same outlet the plug i have now on it is.I mean all the wiring is there its just the plug now(like what on the wall for a dryer in your house in usa)..So i think turning off the power and taking off the outlet marking wired and just installing the wall outlet wouldnt be too hard.

wow thats shady of them....i mean why not just replace the module for us and we keep the same box for less $$$? or better yet give us a NEW BOX NOT REFERB for that much $$
You've got to be realistic about what the purpose of the service centers are. They are a space to get cars in and then quickly back out on the road. Swapping components is the way to do that. They don't want to allocate workbench space and manpower at service center locations to taking apart and rebuilding components. They don't want every service center to be factory space. That's something to be done somewhere else.