Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chill Mode in Snow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe it's more of a shift to Tesla no longer continuing to support classic cars. It literally has nothing to do with autopilot hardware and doesn't need autopilot enabled, so it's clearly an artificial cutoff; at some point Tesla will simply tell us to buy a newer car or deal with it, I guess. At least they aren't intentionally slowing us down like Apple! Imagine installing 9.0 and suddenly having a 12 second 0-60 or something...

I've found the standard traction control/stability control to be excellent on snow and ice. I've tried to intentionally slide by flooring the go pedal on snow and ice and all I get is gentle acceleration. Same with braking. I can slam on the brakes and I get a nice controlled stop.
I'll have to try the chill mode in the next snowstorm and see if there is any difference.

It takes the edge off, especially for RWD cars with the old traction system that allows a lot more slip, and will otherwise actually break the tail loose in ice. I find valet mode does a good job of taming the slip, but would really appreciate keeping my driver profile enabled and my glove box / frunk accessible.

Reactions: isjka
It takes the edge off, especially for RWD cars with the old traction system that allows a lot more slip, and will otherwise actually break the tail loose in ice. I find valet mode does a good job of taming the slip, but would really appreciate keeping my driver profile enabled and my glove box / frunk accessible.
If you don't have AWD, it's difficult to prevent slip. Probably best to learn how to steer the car out of a slide (hint: turn the steering wheel in the direction of the slide... but not too much).

Valet mode already does it perfectly.

One of the reasons I love my TEsla in winter is it handles liek a mid engine car in snow, rear wheeldrive for predictability and weight distribution that makes it easily controlled. I simply use Valet in ice because it remaps the throttle positions of the pedal to be easier to manipulate.

Could Chill Mode perhaps change the mapping of the brake pedal too? If so, that could be one explanation it only being on AutoPilot-capable cars since those cars have the electromagnetically-actuated brake booster, allowing for more dynamic range of control.

I am trying to avoid the "Tesla coders were lazy" thoughts that it is related to simply changing some more coding for a different component the AutoPilot-capable cars replaced.

Unlikely, but I suppose possible. Nobody at all has commented on brakes acting any differently, and it doesn't change for Valet mode either, which is functionally almost exactly the same thing. More likely, it's a side effect of my car not getting the "performance" mode selector easter egg either - as you put it "lazy coders" but more likely it's simply an adoption of the Apple way of forcing early obsolescence.