Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

China Market situation and outlook

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe they are not bound by the same safety regulations and could get away with some under the table deal?
Even if that were possible to do (and everything is possible in China), I don't see Tesla using such a loophole, for the same reason that I don't see Tesla polluting the environment to save a few bucks just because a state government might be okay with it. It only takes a rear collision to kill a child to unleash a media firestorm about how the cars are not safe. Ain't gonna happen (I hope.)

Ah yup, Tesla rep got in touch with me today said it was not possible to install the seats. He did say that they are getting a lot of requests for them though so they will be looking into it.

Wall charger installation is more or less required and is done via an outsourced team.

On another note, I have visited a charger at a local mall here in Shenzhen(Coco Park), and it was taken up by another car the whole day. Even at the Service Center/supercharger, there were other cars parked in front of their chargers. This is going to be a problem for China, as people do not heed road signs or designated parking signs, so even if Tesla has free chargers installed at public parkings, it will be impossible to use.

IMAG0292.jpg
image hosting over 2mb

- - - Updated - - -

Yup, I've been to the one in Longhua, I think the other spot is in Futian closer to Nanshan. Possibly Luohu near Meiyuan Rd. You can't really call the supercharger stations in HK China, cause you cannot drive from China to Hong Kong.

Ah yup, Tesla rep got in touch with me today said it was not possible to install the seats. He did say that they are getting a lot of requests for them though so they will be looking into it.

Wall charger installation is more or less required and is done via an outsourced team.

On another note, I have visited a charger at a local mall here in Shenzhen(Coco Park), and it was taken up by another car the whole day. Even at the Service Center/supercharger, there were other cars parked in front of their chargers. This is going to be a problem for China, as people do not heed road signs or designated parking signs, so even if Tesla has free chargers installed at public parkings, it will be impossible to use.

IMAG0292.jpg
image hosting over 2mb

- - - Updated - - -

Yup, I've been to the one in Longhua, I think the other spot is in Futian closer to Nanshan. Possibly Luohu near Meiyuan Rd. You can't really call the supercharger stations in HK China, cause you cannot drive from China to Hong Kong.

"you cannot drive from China to Hong Kong"?

why is that so?

IMAG0292.jpg
image hosting over 2mb

- - - Updated - - -

Bleh on both accounts. Hopefully the government will step in and start punishing people for parking in EV spots. And I too was not aware you can't drive from one to the other... It is all controlled by China now I thought? Plus there are roads that clearly go across the boarders... How disappointing!

Bleh on both accounts. Hopefully the government will step in and start punishing people for parking in EV spots. And I too was not aware you can't drive from one to the other... It is all controlled by China now I thought? Plus there are roads that clearly go across the boarders... How disappointing!

I think it's just "people" who can't drive across the border. I've certainly ridden in a bus across it, and I think commercial trucks can too. I flew into Hong Kong for a week of meetings in Shenzhen. Fill in a form on arrival at the new airport. Get on a bus. An hour later fill in a form to leave HK. Drive across the bridge. Bus goes up and down overpasses, seems to circle a few times, you get off, fill in forms to enter China, go out the other side of the building and get back on the bus. It seems to circle the parking lot a few more times, and somehow pops out of the process on the opposite side of the road!

Great news for Tesla China super charger deployment!
http://tech.qq.com/a/20140829/015409.htm

Tesla Model S 3G network parter China Unicom cooperates with Tesla again to build super chargers in 20 cities and 400 destination chargers in 120 Unicom stores around China. This will greatly and "easily" improve the super charger coverage in China, which currently has 11 super chargers in 5 major cities only. This is a win-win solution, China Unicom can team with Tesla to become the service provider in "
Internet of Vehicles" area, while Tesla can leverage the network (land, utility and brand) to expand super charger network fast and easily. I think this is just one step of Tesla China to build a master super charger network in China. It does bode very well!

Tesla Model S 3G network parter China Unicom cooperates with Tesla again to build super chargers in 20 cities and 400 destination chargers in 120 Unicom stores around China. This will greatly and "easily" improve the super charger coverage in China, which currently has 11 super chargers in 5 major cities only. This is a win-win solution, China Unicom can team with Tesla to become the service provider in "
Internet of Vehicles" area, while Tesla can leverage the network (land, utility and brand) to expand super charger network fast and easily. I think this is just one step of Tesla China to build a master super charger network in China. It does bode very well!

Wow this is huge :) that is a great find thank you for posting it.

I think it's just "people" who can't drive across the border. I've certainly ridden in a bus across it, and I think commercial trucks can too.

"People" can, but not the masses.

You need a car with special dual plates (registered for both china and Hong Kong), extra insurance coverage, driving licenses for both countries, and permits for access to the border areas. Overall, lots of $$$, and plates are limited in number, but very convenient if you have it.

Oh, and you also "need" a power lift gate if you don't want to have to get out to open and close the boot, as you have to drive through customs with it open.

Hit English media so fast, just occured several hours ago :)
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/08/29/tesla-motors-china-unicom-hk-idUSB9N0Q603320140829
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-08-29/tesla-signs-deal-with-china-unicom-on-charging-points.html

Last edited:
Actually there is a "bad" news from China today. The sale tax waiver doesn't apply for Tesla from Sept. 1st. The vechicles on the first batch move are all domastic made EVs, no imported EVs included. Probably need to wait for another several months to eventually get Tesla in.

Actually there is a "bad" news from China today. The sale tax waiver doesn't apply for Tesla from Sept. 1st. The vechicles on the first batch move are all domastic made EVs, no imported EVs included. Probably need to wait for another several months to eventually get Tesla in.

The Shanghai waiver for license plates you mean? Or something else?

In one of the TMC connect threads someone said there was a presentation where the presenter explained how Tesla is taking a very unique approach to solving the charging situation in China. Wondering if the recent announcements are the fruits of those efforts. Does anyone have any comments on this?