Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

China Market situation and outlook

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It still looks like Tesla needs to deliver 2200+ cars to China to meet guidance. Is that even in the realm of possibilities?
Of course, the other big wild card is US deliveries. If 3600 insideevs number is very low, we have some luck there.

Tesla, a US electric car company, announced on Weibo that the company will join hands with Tmall for the sales of automobiles on Double-Eleven Day (11 November). The customers can settle the payment through Yu'ebao and they can pick up their cars as early as 5 days.

http://www.aastocks.com/en/stocks/news/aafn-content/NOW.633114/latest-news

Cars to be picked up in 5 days?

Tesla, a US electric car company, announced on Weibo that the company will join hands with Tmall for the sales of automobiles on Double-Eleven Day (11 November). The customers can settle the payment through Yu'ebao and they can pick up their cars as early as 5 days.

http://www.aastocks.com/en/stocks/news/aafn-content/NOW.633114/latest-news

Cars to be picked up in 5 days?

Now also on Bloomberg Tesla Starts Selling Model S on Alibaba’s Tmall.com - Bloomberg and business week Tesla Starts Selling Model S on Alibaba’s Tmall.com - Businessweek

"A total of 18 pre-configured cars are being offered through the marketplace, which means the buyers can’t customize and choose their trim and other features, Yang said"
"Buyers who place their orders through Tmall will receive their cars five days at the earliest after full payment is made, Yang said"

Still strange. When is full payment made in China ? Once the car is imported into China ?
I hope these are not the sold-but-not-yet-registerd-cars that I have seem some posts about. Such could easily be interpreted in a bad way.

Its basicly equivalent kind of Ebay deal of the week at Christmass, question is, is there discount, and what does Tesla pay to Tmall for this?

I wrote a story Tesla Motors Backlog

Showing that there was 3300 vehicles produced not sold, the number increased since the time of chinese launch by 2000.

I think Veronica Wu f'cked up big time, there was a post on Chinese Forum with pictures that a Car dealer Giga from Chengdu got 15 preconfigured cars on the lot in August not being official tesla dealer, it was said the cars are there on commision, so if he couldnt sell them, he could give them back. The forum post disappeared next day after being posted on seeking alpha.
There was allready rumors of cars being sold in 10-20 Packs, its obviously not for consumers.
In any other company, her head would have been rolling for a long time, looks like they fear to damage the stock price, IMO its bad when tail wags the dog.

Its basicly equivalent kind of Ebay deal of the week at Christmass, question is, is there discount, and what does Tesla pay to Tmall for this?

I wrote a story Tesla Motors Backlog

Showing that there was 3300 vehicles produced not sold, the number increased since the time of chinese launch by 2000.

I think Veronica Wu f'cked up big time, there was a post on Chinese Forum with pictures that a Car dealer Giga from Chengdu got 15 preconfigured cars on the lot in August not being official tesla dealer, it was said the cars are there on commision, so if he couldnt sell them, he could give them back. The forum post disappeared next day after being posted on seeking alpha.
There was allready rumors of cars being sold in 10-20 Packs, its obviously not for consumers.
In any other company, her head would have been rolling for a long time, looks like they fear to damage the stock price, IMO its bad when tail wags the dog.

The claims you are "showing" in the other thread seem to be a patchwork of selective snippets of information sewn into a pretty farfetched theory... is there any solid evidence that dealers in China are selling these cars on commission? That would be a very interesting development, but call me skeptical if it's coming only as fourthhand information.

The claims you are "showing" in the other thread seem to be a patchwork of selective snippets of information sewn into a pretty farfetched theory... is there any solid evidence that dealers in China are selling these cars on commission? That would be a very interesting development, but call me skeptical if it's coming only as fourthhand information.

Yes, a, this is a FUDster if you look at all his previous posts...it's one thing to be bearish but it's another thing to twist snippets of information from various sources to spin a story of FUD.

Mainland China (excluding Hongkong) opened 23st super charger station today. Per the director of TM China charging department, many more are under construction. It's laughable that people think how difficult to build super chargers in China several months before although there are still long road ahead.

Basically I didn't see much resistance of building super charger stations in metropolitan area because many highend hotel/shopping center/park are willing to cooperate with TM to have this thing done and it helps promote their business and green image. Per Veronica Wu, for the cities like Beijing/Shanghai (with more than 10 million population), TM China will open 10-12 super charger stations for each city, currently they have 3-4 for each.

I still don't see much progress on super chargers along the highway, I suspect TM is working on charging compatibility with China standard. Once it's done, then government will build thousands of "fast" chargers along the highway and they can be utilized by Tesla owners. Btw, even without super chargers along the highway, considering the desity of Chinese cities, it's still feasible to do long distance traveling by hopping from one city to another city.

Last edited:
Just to give some real world perspective....In Hong Kong I see at least 2 Tesla's on the road per day. The first few times I got really excited, but now it's very normal to see Tesla's cruising around. More and more seem to be coming since the first batch of Model S's arrived a month or so ago.

I was in Shanghai yesterday and saw a Model S cruising down the highway, so they are in China as well. I didn't keep my eyes open for them while in China, but they are definitely around. I was surprised how popular EV bike are in Shanghai. They are so quiet when you are walking on the road you really need to keep your eyes open because they don't make a sound and can really creep up on you in a flash. A lot of times they might politely honk to let you know they are right behind you. If not, you could easily take a wrong step into their path. It seemed like HALF the scooters/bikes going around town were electric, so it seems there is a push to go electric, at least from what I saw in Shanghai.

I was pretty shocked actually to find a Tesla in Shanghai. There are a zillion cars in that giant sprawling never ending city. I figured the odds of seeing one were pretty remote, given Tesla has just entered the market, they are just scratching the surface, and Shanghai is so huge! It was a very pleasant surprise.

Just to give some real world perspective....In Hong Kong I see at least 2 Tesla's on the road per day. The first few times I got really excited, but now it's very normal to see Tesla's cruising around. More and more seem to be coming since the first batch of Model S's arrived a month or so ago.

I was in Shanghai yesterday and saw a Model S cruising down the highway, so they are in China as well. I didn't keep my eyes open for them while in China, but they are definitely around. I was surprised how popular EV bike are in Shanghai. They are so quiet when you are walking on the road you really need to keep your eyes open because they don't make a sound and can really creep up on you in a flash. A lot of times they might politely honk to let you know they are right behind you. If not, you could easily take a wrong step into their path. It seemed like HALF the scooters/bikes going around town were electric, so it seems there is a push to go electric, at least from what I saw in Shanghai.

I was pretty shocked actually to find a Tesla in Shanghai. There are a zillion cars in that giant sprawling never ending city. I figured the odds of seeing one were pretty remote, given Tesla has just entered the market, they are just scratching the surface, and Shanghai is so huge! It was a very pleasant surprise.

Thanks for the report from the ground on your perspective of the market! This really does help :D