Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chrome Delete Folding Mirror Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for some help.

I did the chrome delete on my new Model S and it looks fantastic. I'm having one issues with the folding mirrors that I'm trying to figure out.

The mirrors fold really really tight to the door trim...especially on the passenger side. It's so tight that when folded the mirror is rubbing on the door trim causing the vinyl to pucker.

It's almost like the added thickness of the vinyl on the door trip and the mirror are just enough to cause this.

Anybody else having this issue? Is there anyway to adjust the mirrors to they don't fold in quite so much?

Image of the dame on the door trim attached.

Dropbox - IMG_0287.JPG

Last edited:
Oh dang I had trouble with vinyl under the moving part of the mirror in the past, but that looks like your mirror is misaligned and/or just closing too far? If it is doing that to the vinyl was it leaving a mark on the chrome before as well? Either way, I've had vinyl wrap and plastidip and neither had a problem as you show in the pic.

Yeah, I'll have to pay attention to mine and see how much room there is, as you mentioned maybe the tolerance on yours was so close that the added width of the vinyl was enough to cause a problem. The pic almost makes it look like it touches at a point and then rubs down the length (looks like the vinyl is "rippled" like something is being pulled across the surface).

Exact same issue here. And the wrapper warned me at the time. They don’t wrap the whole mirror these days - they leave a bit unwrapped. Then no issue when folding except you see a bit of chrome in that mode.

I had the same problem on my passenger side! It's actually the window trim! A ranger came to my home and replaced the sideview mirror at first, and the problem persisted, and then he looked closer, and realized it's because the trim piece is not as tight (glue coming undone on the trim piece, apparently it's made up of 3 parts).

So he ordered me a new trim, and now it's perfect. By the way, the ranger showed me how to take apart the window trim, I am so surprised that it pops out so easily. No tool required.

I had the same problem on my passenger side! It's actually the window trim! A ranger came to my home and replaced the sideview mirror at first, and the problem persisted, and then he looked closer, and realized it's because the trim piece is not as tight (glue coming undone on the trim piece, apparently it's made up of 3 parts).

So he ordered me a new trim, and now it's perfect. By the way, the ranger showed me how to take apart the window trim, I am so surprised that it pops out so easily. No tool required.
Are you referring to the chrome trim around the windows I am assuming? How did he remove it? was it easy to put back on? Being able to remove it would make it easy for almost any beginner to do their own chrome delete to it. Besides that you can basically buy every other area pre-made. I am very curious about this as I like to change the appearance of my car frequently

• Disagree
Reactions: towelie
Wow that’s funny. I took my car in last year and addressed the dent on my trim in that exact same spot. The service manager said, “Yep, yuh ever realized that someone has bumped your mirror and dented it? Not a warranty issue.”

I figured he was semi correct and just let it go. HA I REALIZE NOW IVE BEEN DUPED. Bout to go whoop some words tell y’all what.