Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chrome delete is a wrap?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wasn’t expecting to see this this morning but saw what looked like a piece of tape coming loose on driver side “chrome delete” trim and pulled on it. Turns out the trim is actually wrapped in black film and there is more black underneath it. Odd as I thought I heard this trim was some kind of dark metal finish. Will be reporting to Tesla to see what they say about replacing it. For what it’s worth the passenger side is starting to do the same thing (i.e. portions appear to have this “film” starting to come loose). Anybody else see this on theirs?

Attachments

• C065A508-E4D9-4528-A0DC-74FB6F3FBCF6.jpeg
    C065A508-E4D9-4528-A0DC-74FB6F3FBCF6.jpeg
    295 KB · Views: 157
  • 86D19D55-9176-4AEB-A82F-09DA0D99036E.jpeg
    86D19D55-9176-4AEB-A82F-09DA0D99036E.jpeg
    274.8 KB · Views: 133
that's just protective film on the trim someone forgot to remove during delivery prep. the trim is made of anodized stainless steel. If it was a wrap, it would be satin black not clear plastic.
The pictures don’t show it well but the film is black as well. I’m nervous to peel it all the way off so have sent pics to Tesla and will see if they say it’s just a film that should have been removed or if it is in fact damaged trim.

I meant to ask someone about this and forgot. I know others have said this piece was anodized aluminum. After tapping on mine, it really feels like vinyl wrapped plastic. It has that tacky satin vinyl feel that's entirely different from anodized aluminum.

Additionally, I know the aluminum has been discoloring in car washes, so I was wondering if they made a recent change here.

I meant to ask someone about this and forgot. I know others have said this piece was anodized aluminum. After tapping on mine, it really feels like vinyl wrapped plastic. It has that tacky satin vinyl feel that's entirely different from anodized aluminum.

Additionally, I know the aluminum has been discoloring in car washes, so I was wondering if they made a recent change here.
Having had experience removing and reinstalling the trim, I know for a fact that it's not plastic wrapped in vinyl. You can easily feel the weight of of the trim piece. Anodized aluminum is another finish much like powder coasting and is prone to stains from those drive-thru car washes with harsh/acidic chemicals.

Thanks for the reply’s all. If its unremoved protective tape its pretty convincing and doesn’t look temporary. That said, I have an appointment for Tesla to take a look and will see what they say before I try to remove it myself to be sure. To be clear, this in no way changes how awesome this vehicle is, its just another quirk that makes the “Tesla experience” so interesting. More to come and will update this thread when I have “official” word.

Reactions: db93
All other Tesla trim is chrome. If the logic of the thread is that it is wrapped then is op saying it's black trim wrapped in black? Or chrome wrapped in black with a second black wrap?

Common sense would point towards protective film left over from delivery.
Black trim wrapped in black...Tesla says nothing is wrapped at factory and it’s only in the driver side after further investigation. Will be replacing that side trim.

Mystery (?) solved. Tesla suggested I remove the tape and see if it was concealing damage (i.e. someone vinyl wrapped vs replacing damaged trim). Small scratches noted near driver side mirror. New trim on order to replace. Very weird.

Attachments

• 3D1F2AC8-0ECA-42C0-B8C4-92E48451C841.jpeg
    3D1F2AC8-0ECA-42C0-B8C4-92E48451C841.jpeg
    341.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 61D93132-EA79-456B-A087-447920B43079.jpeg
    61D93132-EA79-456B-A087-447920B43079.jpeg
    246.3 KB · Views: 85
  • E3E74301-3087-4E7B-B194-88F33CC43EE0.jpeg
    E3E74301-3087-4E7B-B194-88F33CC43EE0.jpeg
    419.6 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Mystery (?) solved. Tesla suggested I remove the tape and see if it was concealing damage (i.e. someone vinyl wrapped vs replacing damaged trim). Small scratches noted near driver side mirror. New trim on order to replace. Very weird.
"Someone" being Tesla in this case? Did you buy the car new? This is really weird. That damage is because the window didn't go down like it was supposed to and slammed into the frame.

Reactions: Nakk