Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chrome touch up or polish

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

I have the same issue and I wonder why do you guys say that you made a mistake. Is Tesla saying that you improperly operated the opening/closing of the doors? Also, did the service tech fixed the behaviour of the window not staying in it's lower position?

I just took ownership of my Model 3 LR few days ago, and I have the same issue with the rear left pasanger window that in multiple ocasions did not stay retracted and when the door was shut the window closed over the chrome trimming resulting in schratches.

For starters, the window should not go up if the door is open. It is a manufacturing defect.

The couple of times where I realized that the window was staying up rather than it's lower position, I had to keep the handle open so I can close it properly. That is not normal operation mode.

I have a service appointment setup for next week and I have no intention of paying to have the chrome trimming replaced. So I hope I won't have to deal with a headache, or worse have to take them to court. Paying $262 is nothing compared with having to deal with litigation but it doesn't seem right to me to have to pay for something that was caused by a malfunctioning part.

Thanks!

Hi guys,

I have the same issue and I wonder why do you guys say that you made a mistake. Is Tesla saying that you improperly operated the opening/closing of the doors? Also, did the service tech fixed the behaviour of the window not staying in it's lower position?

I just took ownership of my Model 3 LR few days ago, and I have the same issue with the rear left pasanger window that in multiple ocasions did not stay retracted and when the door was shut the window closed over the chrome trimming resulting in schratches.

For starters, the window should not go up if the door is open. It is a manufacturing defect.

The couple of times where I realized that the window was staying up rather than it's lower position, I had to keep the handle open so I can close it properly. That is not normal operation mode.

I have a service appointment setup for next week and I have no intention of paying to have the chrome trimming replaced. So I hope I won't have to deal with a headache, or worse have to take them to court. Paying $262 is nothing compared with having to deal with litigation but it doesn't seem right to me to have to pay for something that was caused by a malfunctioning part.

Thanks!

Dude you are not taking someone to court for $262 lol.

Dude you are not taking someone to court for $262 lol.
That's for sure :) It's not worth it getting out of bed for that amount.

However, what if for every single issue you'd have to shell out of pocket to have Tesla repair an issue caused by their own manufacturing defect simply because they are not worth it to be addressed in court individually? Costs can add up quickly overtime. One could could consider legal recourse which may be made under the appropriate state Lemon Law statutes.

OP - there are no "touch-up" products for plastic. unless you're a skilled craftsman that can fill and re-paint that area, you're looking at a replacement or just living with the damage.

think of it as a reminder. every time you look at that scratch, you'll be reminded to not do it again. if you drop the $300 to swap the trim and do it a second time, who's the dummy?