Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Polishing tool - which would be the most suitable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys

I'm looking at buying an orbital polisher to use when I get little scratches on my new Model 3. I've had a couple already, and feel the best way to buff them out may be to use ScratchX and an electric buffer.

It seems that an orbitol polisher is the recommended way to go for people who aren't experienced in polishing, as it reduces the risk of swirling. My car is midnight silver metallic, so it would potentially show swirls (although not as much as black).

I'm keen to go with Ryobi, as I have other tools from their range, and hence have a couple of Ryobi 18V batteries.

One key criterion in my decision is being able to buy replacement buffing pads easily on Amazon or eBay, rather than spending a lot more to get genuine Ryobi ones (which seem to be around $10 each!).

Here are the options:
This one seems to be pretty simple, and only has one handle, so may not be easy to hold and control.

This one seems to be a step up, with larger pads (probably not necessary for small scratches, etc). It also has two handles, which would probably make it easier to hold.
I've heard though that the pads for this one are not a standard size, and therefore only the original Ryobi ones fit properly.

This one is a smller diameter device, which I'm guessing would make it easier to work with for the kind of small scratches I'm expecting to be fixing.
It also uses velco-based pads rather than tie-one ones, which may potentially stay on more reliably.

Overall, I'm unsure which is the most suitable for treating simple scratches.

If you've got experience with any of these, I'd love to hear from you. (Or even if you have experience with similar products from a different brand!)
Really keen to figure out the pros and cons before I jump in and make a decision.

Thanks everyone!

Cheers
Mike