Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Circuit sharing NACS and J wall connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know that two Tesla wall connectors with two teslas can share a circuit. Can the standard wall connector share power with one of the new J1772 wall connectors and a non-Tesla?

I have a Leaf and a ChargePoint home charger. When my MY arrived, I figured I would charge that with the CP and use the Leaf’s mobile connector on a smart plug to charge during off-peak times. We seem to drive the Leaf just a bit too much to fully charge it in six hours (it only has 64 miles of range these days). We’ve been rotating charging but that isn’t ideal. So I’m wondering if the standard Tesla wall charger and the new J wall charger would work together. Anyone try this yet?

I know that two Tesla wall connectors with two teslas can share a circuit. Can the standard wall connector share power with one of the new J1772 wall connectors and a non-Tesla?

I have a Leaf and a ChargePoint home charger. When my MY arrived, I figured I would charge that with the CP and use the Leaf’s mobile connector on a smart plug to charge during off-peak times. We seem to drive the Leaf just a bit too much to fully charge it in six hours (it only has 64 miles of range these days). We’ve been rotating charging but that isn’t ideal. So I’m wondering if the standard Tesla wall charger and the new J wall charger would work together. Anyone try this yet?
Another option you might consider is a dual-plug EVSE, like the Grizzl-E Duo ($799) or Clipper Creek HCS-D50 ($1,627). Both of these, but especially the Clipper Creek, are pricier than buying a single-plug J1772 Tesla Wall Connector; but you wouldn't need to run more wire to the second unit, so installation would be cheaper -- and you could sell your existing EVSE used. You would need to use a J1772-to-Tesla adapter to charge the Tesla, obviously, but that works close to seamlessly if you just leave the two plugged together all the time. (That's what I do with my single-cable Clipper Creek EVSE.)

Reactions: TunaBug
Thanks for the info! I’ll send an email to Grizzl-E to see if they make a hardwired version of the Duo. Their website just seems to show a plug in model.
If they don't, then I'm sure anybody qualified to install a hard-wired EVSE could replace the plug with a hard-wired connection. I'm not an electrician, so I don't know if there might be any "gotchas" in doing that -- but that's why I said "qualified." ;)