Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Power Sharing no longer requires Subpanel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its buried in this thread ( New "Universal Wall Connector" doesn't charge the Rivian. ) but the new Universal Wall Connector manual shows that you no longer are required to use a subpanel when connecting multiple wall connectors on a single circuit. Per the manual ->

powershare.jpg

Note, it doesn't make a distinction that all need to be Universal Wall Connectors...just says gen 3 wall connectors (per the power sharing sections on other pages of the manual).

Many speculated before that Tesla was going to change the manual in the future (since requiring a subpanel didn't make sense), and they did! (and rumors that they were already telling other installers that a subpanel wasn't actually needed). Of course, they really just shoehorned that diagram in since the rest of the manual doesn't talk about single circuits. Glad they added it officially..since my install just a few weeks ago we decided to bet against the future and just used polaris connectors instead of a subpanel.

20231103_200957.jpg

Its buried in this thread ( New "Universal Wall Connector" doesn't charge the Rivian. ) but the new Universal Wall Connector manual shows that you no longer are required to use a subpanel when connecting multiple wall connectors on a single circuit. Per the manual ->

View attachment 991017

Note, it doesn't make a distinction that all need to be Universal Wall Connectors...just says gen 3 wall connectors (per the power sharing sections on other pages of the manual).

Many speculated before that Tesla was going to change the manual in the future (since requiring a subpanel didn't make sense), and they did! (and rumors that they were already telling other installers that a subpanel wasn't actually needed). Of course, they really just shoehorned that diagram in since the rest of the manual doesn't talk about single circuits. Glad they added it officially..since my install just a few weeks ago we decided to bet against the future and just used polaris connectors instead of a subpanel.
They still need to update the official manual on the wall connectors for it to be truly NEC complaint.

They still need to update the official manual on the wall connectors for it to be truly NEC complaint.
I presume the formal manual update is needed so that the power shared group of chargers is shown installed on a single 60 amp circuit so as to satisfy an electrical inspector that it has been installed in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.

I do not understand any advantage if the units are each connected to a single breaker.

I presume the formal manual update is needed so that the power shared group of chargers is shown installed on a single 60 amp circuit so as to satisfy an electrical inspector that it has been installed in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.
Yes, that's what is being discussed. The Universal Wall Connector shows that, but the normal Wall Connector as of that post was not updated yet to show that (not sure if it has been changed since then). NEC requires you to follow manufacturer instructions, so if that configuration is not shown as allowed in the manual, the inspector has the right to fail you.
I do not understand any advantage if the units are each connected to a single breaker.
I should note however, even if it is shown, not all inspectors would necessarily pass you. One example is the software toggle to limit the max current. Some jurisdictions accept that toggle and allow you to install smaller conductors and breakers. Some require a hardware toggle (like the older generation wall connectors had), so you would not be allowed to small conductors/breakers if the unit only had software units.

There certainly are multiple cases of advantages, or at least use cases.
Let's say the supply line is 150A. None of the wall connectors would be allowed to just have a 150A breaker. The other aspect can be for wire cost saving if the property owner doesn't want to install all 16 units at maximum capacity. Maybe they will put 4 of them at 60A and then 12 of them at 40A or 30A. Then they could use smaller wire and breakers for those. (That may not be what you would choose to do, but it's a valid use case.)

Attachments

• IMG_4865.png
    IMG_4865.png
    572.3 KB · Views: 34
Just ordered the universal wall connector, since my TeslaTap took on water and shorted itself out. Lovely….

The manual does indeed allow the single circuit. They even support daisy chaining from within the connector !

Oh interesting...they are continually updating the manual That didn't use to be there.

Edit:.... yeah, they added it as an appendix, but they do mention you can only daisy chain with the universal connector.

Oh interesting...they are continually updating the manual That didn't use to be there.

Edit:.... yeah, they added it as an appendix, but they do mention you can only daisy chain with the universal connector.
Any thoughts re if that also applies to the terminal node in the chain ?

I am planning to do the following for the chain.

60A breaker -> universal -> gen3.

Obviously you need a universal connector for any non terminal position due to it having the 2 sets of wire connectors.

Any thoughts re if that also applies to the terminal node in the chain ?

I am planning to do the following for the chain.

60A breaker -> universal -> gen3.

Obviously you need a universal connector for any non terminal position due to it having the 2 sets of wire connectors.
I mean, I don't see how a gen 3 would be able to tell where the wires are coming from.....wires are just wires...I would assume a terminal position would be fine...

Reactions: bryan995
Will try soon and report back!
Any update here?

I have a Gen3 today and planning on adding a Universal.

I would prefer to go:

60A Breaker -> Gen3 -> Universal TWC

Question is, will it work?
Second question, do we expect they will update guide to officially support daisy chaining with Gen3 (non-Univeral).

Assuming no updates are made to the guide, can a Gen3 can be a follower to a Universal TWC, assuming it’s the last link in the chain.

Thanks for feedback!