Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New "Universal Wall Connector" doesn't charge the Rivian.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Chatted with Tesla customer online. Didn't say much. Seems they are already very well aware this issue. They quickly offered to push a different firmware version to my TUWC. An hour later, I checked the Tesla app, and saw that the firmware version went back to the 2023 Feb version. Now it finally can charge my Volvo XC90 Recharge

Just got a Cadillac Lyriq and had the charging issue with the TUWC that I had installed yesterday. Support pushed the HEAD firmware to me and I “think” it’s working now.

However, one of the status messages on the dash gives me an error, but when I go into the main charging app in the Lyriq, it looks like everything is working.

I have yet to get below 90% SOC in the vehicle so my testing is somewhat limited.

Just wondering if others have seen issues with their vehicles not reporting charging correctly with the HEAD fw.

Just got a Cadillac Lyriq and had the charging issue with the TUWC that I had installed yesterday. Support pushed the HEAD firmware to me and I “think” it’s working now.

However, one of the status messages on the dash gives me an error, but when I go into the main charging app in the Lyriq, it looks like everything is working.

I have yet to get below 90% SOC in the vehicle so my testing is somewhat limited.

Just wondering if others have seen issues with their vehicles not reporting charging correctly with the HEAD fw.

HEAD fixed the issue with one of my two UWC (other was working fine without a fix) on my R1S, but it operates (kind of)like you describe. The R1S initially flashes red when plugging in on the HEAD connector, but after a couple of seconds it switches to normal and charges without issue - app shows a very brief “error” but then resolves. On the non-HEAD UWC, it works immediately and never flashes red/app is fine.

Nice to be able to compare two different connectors side by side, but annoying that one “just works” and the other needs special firmware.

Good news, I got it working. The bad news is I'm not sure how. I have what I did below.

One important note is I installed the charger myself with my dad. It was an easy hardware swap from the old wall connector but I hadn't used the Tesla Pro app to install this new one, just the standard Tesla app. Perhaps these problems wouldn't exist if I had properly used the Tesla Pro app.

Here's what I did that may have fixed the problem:
  1. After issues connecting tonight, I shutoff the charger from the circuit breaker for 10 seconds and began again. Maybe it needs a reboot.
  2. I tried connecting to the Tesla Pro app but had trouble connecting. So I switched the charger a 2nd network we have here at home. Both are 2.4 but the second network is Starlink and technically closer to the Garage. I did this switch in the standard Tesla app which has network controls.
  3. Once I got into the Tesla Pro app, I took the advice of @Tam and found the Access Controls setting. This involved setting this charger up in the Tesla Pro app. Perhaps that was my problem all along, an incomplete setup. When checking the Access Controls however, it was already set to All Vehicles. I tapped "All Vehicles" anyway and hit save.
  4. The Tesla Pro app was asking what amps the circuit had. Completing this 5 second form made a yellow alert in the Tesla Pro app disappear.

I then plug in at this point using the built in adapter and it worked! The light goes blue, a few seconds pass, and I hear the electrical parts click. The Rivian displayed charging speeds of 20mph. This really is a dream charger when you have more than just a Tesla to plug in.

@rstx, I think you'll love this connector as much as I do and hope your install is smoother than my experience. I hope anybody else having issues can find the solution I have with the above steps.

To those who left comments in here trying to help me so quickly on such a new product, thank you.
This worked and when I came home - not working now.

I guess I spoke too soon - I came back after using a fast charger (not sure if this is the issue) - still had my range set to 400 - going on trip tomorrow - and the universal did not work - reset it again after it didn't work when plugging in - and nothing now. The Tesla Tap works with it with no issues - so I have a workaround - really confused - thought I had it - when I use the Tesla Tap it goes blue - and charges - but nothing with the magic doc connector now. Annoyed.

This worked and when I came home - not working now.

I guess I spoke too soon - I came back after using a fast charger (not sure if this is the issue) - still had my range set to 400 - going on trip tomorrow - and the universal did not work - reset it again after it didn't work when plugging in - and nothing now. The Tesla Tap works with it with no issues - so I have a workaround - really confused - thought I had it - when I use the Tesla Tap it goes blue - and charges - but nothing with the magic doc connector now. Annoyed.
And you’re definitely on the HEAD firmware?

If not, start a chat with Tesla support and relay that you’d like the firmware pushed to your UWC because it is not charging non-Tesla. That’s all it took for me to get HEAD and it worked without a hiccup since.

If you’re already on the HEAD firmware, sorry to hear this and I unfortunately don’t have any other ideas.

Not sure I’m on the latest but not the one on the Tesla download firmware site … 23.24.4 - 23.8.2 is on the Tesla firmware page but when I tried to upload it I also tried the charger and it worked again. Which version is the HEAD one?
HEAD is a Tesla-only firmware (ie only Tesla can push it to your UWC). I think when I got my UWCs, both were on 23.24.4 and I had to ask Tesla to push it. My guess is HEAD is supposed to be internal only so it doesn’t have a 23.24.4 type of number - instead, the version reads “HEAD-3CAE3FBA856679“

If it’s working for you, probably no need to go to the HEAD version (one of mine worked out of the box) but if you’re getting no charge or inconsistent (like my #2 was), the HEAD firmware will likely fix it like it did with mine.

Thanks all for this good thread. I installed my Tesla Universal Wall Connector on Christmas and updated to 23.24.4 and am having the same issues trying to charge my Rivian R1S using the built-in NACS > J1772 adapter in the wall connector. When I instead use a 3rd party NACS > j1772 adapter on the cable, it charges my Rivian fine.

So it’s definitely something with the firmware and the built in tesla NACS > J1772 adapter combo causing funkiness.

I did login to the configuration page when connected to the Wall Connector’s IP address and changed the “All Vehicles” to “Compatibility Mode” with no better result.

Will reach out to Tesla Support and ask them to push the HEAD firmware and see how it goes.

Proviidng an update - reache dout to Tesla Chat SUpport this morning and they immediately knew what I was talking about and sent the HEAD firmware to my wall connector remotely (FYI - the wall connector must be disconnected from a vehicle to update firmware, according to them). The firmware updated in about 20 minutes and now shows on my mobile app as the HEAD firmware.

Hey all, I've been watching this thread and experiencing problems with my Honda Clarity as reported here. It's been very frustrating and I do not have a fix yet. I wish you all well with your Rivian's and the Universal Wall Connector.

Thanks to this forum I can use my Tesla Wall Connector to charge our Alfa Romeo Tonale Hybrid. I bought and had installed a Tesla Universal Wall Connector. Initially the unit could not communicate with the Alfa Romeo Tonale battery using the J1772 adapter. Contacted Tesla support and they sent an over the air update (version head 3cae3fba856679) this fixed the charging issue and I am now able to charge the Tonale using the Tesla Wall connector. Very happy with that! Hope they roll out a permanent fix.

Reactions: brkaus
It’s ridiculous this is still an issue that you have to contact support for and it’s not resolved in a final release firmware.

Considering the firmware seems to be closest to the march-april 2023 release, it is a bit behind now. Not that I'm looking for any newer features, however this does connect to the internet I do want to make sure anything security related is up to date.

On a non-Tesla EV has anyone successfully used the J1772 adapter that comes with the Tesla Universal Wall Connector at a Tesla Destination charging station? I read in earlier posts you have to use tape to be able to remove the J1772 adapter from the NACS plug on the Universal Wall Connector.

On a non-Tesla EV has anyone successfully used the J1772 adapter that comes with the Tesla Universal Wall Connector at a Tesla Destination charging station? I read in earlier posts you have to use tape to be able to remove the J1772 adapter from the NACS plug on the Universal Wall Connector.
I would not expect this to be successful. This thread has shown that 3rd party adapters have some additional circuitry to enable their successful operation while the Tesla adapter integrated with the UWC is a simple passthru device.

I have not attempted that but my Lectron Telsa to J1772 adapter worked at a Tesla Destination charger at a hotel a week ago.

Reactions: KyleDay
I would not expect this to be successful. This thread has shown that 3rd party adapters have some additional circuitry to enable their successful operation while the Tesla adapter integrated with the UWC is a simple passthru device.
I didn't expect it either after reading this thread. I had a family member that had a new Jeep 4xe and I initially told him if he got the new Tesla Universal Wall Connector he would be ahead of the curve as future EV's would have the NACS plug. His Jeep only has the J1772. I also assumed the Tesla to J1772 adapter would work at Tesla Destination charging stations and he would not need to purchase an aftermarket one like the Lectron. And then I read this thread which does make it sound like the included adapter is not only difficult to remove from the unit, but also appears to be passive.

I didn't expect it either after reading this thread. I had a family member that had a new Jeep 4xe and I initially told him if he got the new Tesla Universal Wall Connector he would be ahead of the curve as future EV's would have the NACS plug. His Jeep only has the J1772. I also assumed the Tesla to J1772 adapter would work at Tesla Destination charging stations and he would not need to purchase an aftermarket one like the Lectron. And then I read this thread which does make it sound like the included adapter is not only difficult to remove from the unit, but also appears to be passive.
This is the same wall connector sold to hotels. They dont want to manage guests stealing the J1772 adapter from the TUWC. Thats why you have to dock the connector first to use the J3400 adapter.

I have a 2024 Audi RS Etron Gt and cannot get the Universal wall connector to work. The first unit worked only a single time (the first time I used it 20% to 100% charge), but after that, it never worked again.
Called Tesla and a firmware update was sent to my unit, but that never got it to charge my vehicle.
They advised the unit was faulty and their replacement connector was installed yesterday (03/21/24). I called and the newest HEAD (3CAE3FBA856679) firmware was downloaded.
Still not charging........

I unplugged and plugged it back in multiple times, but nothing. Turned the breaker off (waited over 10 mins the last time) and back on to reset the charger and still nothing.

Reached out to customer care and now waiting for the next step(s)...

Quite silly and a bit annoying that these "Universal Wall Connectors" do not update themselves with this HEAD firmware and that one has to call in. After lots of $$ and time spent on getting this Tesla charger installed, it cannot and has not been able to charge a 2024 Audi.

While I have a CT on order, this is the main reason I went with the Universal charger. If not for that, I may have gone with a different manufacturer altogether re the wall charger.
I may pick up an aftermarket J1772 adapter to see if that gets it to work. Seems like it has worked for others that have the same charging issue (non Tesla vehicles).
We shall see......