Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clacking noises in the footwell area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

My 2013 MS with 250'000km (160kmiles) is making clacking noises in the footwell area on the driver's side when I drive over cobblestones (really bad) or any other bumps or humps. It sounds similar to when you turn off the faucet in a house very fast and the piping vibrates as a result.

I am a car engineer myself and my first thought was that there must be a loose pipe in or around the battery pack.

On the lift we found out that all 4 front suspension arms are worn out (known MS problem). One of them was making a similar noise. Although I had my doubts, we replaced these control arms first, because they needed to be replaced anyway. I had my doubts because the noise sounds like a springy object hitting the chassis. Worn out suspension parts typically sound different in my experience because they are constantly under load and therefore sound less "springy".

After having changed the suspension arms, the noise is still there as I thought. After looking at it again, we found out that the problem could rather come from the steering gear. When the car is switched off (no power steering) and you move the steering wheel very fast back and forth, you hear a similar noise. The same is true when you turn the steering all the way to the max on the lift. You can then virtually feel the noise with your hand on the steering gear.
The steering rods, on the other hand, do not seem to be worn out and the steering arms (connection to the wheel suspension) also seems to be fine. Our "best guess" was that either the rack and pinion steering needs to be adjusted or in worst case needs replacement.

Does anyone already know about this problem? If so, I would be glad about hints, what else could cause such a noise.

Best thanks and greetings

Heinz

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

That's not what it is. It's the Foot Chopper that's gone loose. The Foot Chopper rarely activates in only very particular conditions, which are kept secret by Tesla and the hacking community.

Take it in to Tesla, describe the problem and tell them 'you know what it is'. They'll understand.

That's not what it is. It's the Foot Chopper that's gone loose. The Foot Chopper rarely activates in only very particular conditions, which are kept secret by Tesla and the hacking community.

Take it in to Tesla, describe the problem and tell them 'you know what it is'. They'll understand.
Thanks rooter,

May I ask, what ist the "Foot Chopper" is?? Not even my translator offers a sensible solution. :)

Remember: it sounds pretty much like a loose tube knocking against the chassis.

Thanks