Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Class III Trailer Hitch - 3500-7500lbs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello

I am wondering is there is anyone who has or is planning on putting on a class III hitch on their model 3 with a brake controller and lights set-up. Note sure if it is possible but would love to see some pics.

Also if anyone thinks the eco hitch (class II) is strength limited to the stated 2000lbs based on it's bolting to the car or support supports?

Thanks.

Hello

I am wondering is there is anyone who has or is planning on putting on a class III hitch on their model 3 with a brake controller and lights set-up. Note sure if it is possible but would love to see some pics.

Also if anyone thinks the eco hitch (class II) is strength limited to the stated 2000lbs based on it's bolting to the car or support supports?

Thanks.
It's bolted to the bumper supports. I doubt there's any class III hitch attached in a similar fashion.

I guess my question is that I have not seen a crash bar mounted Class III hitch before. I think they would need to grab under the frame from the middle for the load rating. I have no doubt the power and torque is there to do it. Also the brake controller and wiring could be tricky.

I guess my question is that I have not seen a crash bar mounted Class III hitch before. I think they would need to grab under the frame from the middle for the load rating. I have no doubt the power and torque is there to do it. Also the brake controller and wiring could be tricky.
The official tow package they sell in Europe is also rated at 2000lbs. My guess is that that's the safe limit.

Reactions: Tomski
Wacky. The Model 3 has 6 M10 studs instead of 8. I don’t really have a feel for how strong it has to be. My intuition is that the failure point would be the attachment of the studs to the unibody and I would think that it’s primarily designed for compression force.
Are you talking about the studs that hold the rear rebar? If so, the 3 does indeed have a total of 8 studs.

Reactions: Tomski
Haha well you’re right as well. There’s 4 on the frame rail. But there is an intermediate plate that has 3 studs each side. I don’t know how most model 3 hitches are installed, but the stealth hitch uses all 8 studs.

Stealth hitch. Tesla Model 3 (2017 - Present)

Installation instructions https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2182/3043/files/Tesla_Model_3_Tow_2017_-_Present.pdf?1197
The Stealth hitch attaches to the 8 studs and replaces those intermediate plates. I should have known, I've got one.

Reactions: dennisvab
I contacted Stealth Hitch for some more details.

Q: What is the physical strength of the hitch (not the vehicle capacity). Can the Hitch handle 5000lbs towing?

A: Our hitch exceeds the vehicle capacity that is listed on our instructions. We are never the limiting factor, it is always the vehicle. The hitch will handle the 5,000 lbs but it is very doubtful the vehicle can handle it.

Q:Can you fit a weight distribution hitch to the stealth hitch?

A: We do not support weight distribution systems or anti sway. I doubt the light weight frame of the vehicle can handle the leverage these systems put on them. Even a BMW X5 does not support these features.

Q: Can you connect a brake controller to the electronics for the 7 point wiring harness?

A: It is not a problem to install a 7-way, just no one I know has ever requested one for a Tesla 3