Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clean Air Vehicle Decals - minimum occupancy requirements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the 101, it's 2 or more, so no.

Aren't there some areas of 101 in the Bay Area that are now 3 occupants? If the posted is 3, than you would need the stickers.

Don't know if this will help anyone but here's a map Caltrans has on local HOV/Express Lane Status. Believe the Express Lanes will be time/traffic fee based. http://www.dot.ca.gov/trafficops/tm/docs/HOV_NorCal.pdf\

and here's the VTA 101 and 85 Express Lane projects map: US 101 and State Route 85 Express Lanes Projects

Last edited:
Reactions: T3SL4AFBruh
Aren't there some areas of 101 in the Bay Area that are now 3 occupants? If the posted is 3, than you would need the stickers.

Don't know if this will help anyone but here's a map Caltrans has on local HOV/Express Lane Status. Believe the Express Lanes will be time/traffic fee based. http://www.dot.ca.gov/trafficops/tm/docs/HOV_NorCal.pdf\

and here's the VTA 101 and 85 Express Lane projects map: US 101 and State Route 85 Express Lanes Projects
Yup yup, I think best rule of thumb is if you don't have the CAV, you needa follow the minimum number of the sign, if you DO have the CAV, your gucci everywhere else unless otherwise stated.

Yeah there are some of those around as well.

The $490 is sort of a joke because there's very little enforcement. One of my team members used to take the HOV lane to and from work every day under the theory that if he got caught a couple of times it'd balance out because of time savings. For something like 2 years of working with me, he never once got in trouble for it.

The biggest problem with this is not the individuals, its when tons of people start doing this en mase. Those folks are ruining it for everyone.

The reasons why the regular carpool lanes are going away and being replaced with pay lanes is because of California law. There is a minimum speed differential that the fast lane must stay moving faster than the slower lanes to count as an HOV lane. The threshold is something like 30% faster during commute hours.

If the HOV lane is slowed down by cheaters such that it does not meet this threshold then they start considering the toll lane as an option, where folks just pay for the right to get into it. This is why 680 and 880 are no longer carpool lanes but toll lanes. 85 is still HOV and I'd hate to see it go the same as the others.

The biggest problem with this is not the individuals, its when tons of people start doing this en mase. Those folks are ruining it for everyone.

The reasons why the regular carpool lanes are going away and being replaced with pay lanes is because of California law. There is a minimum speed differential that the fast lane must stay moving faster than the slower lanes to count as an HOV lane. The threshold is something like 30% faster during commute hours.

If the HOV lane is slowed down by cheaters such that it does not meet this threshold then they start considering the toll lane as an option, where folks just pay for the right to get into it. This is why 680 and 880 are no longer carpool lanes but toll lanes. 85 is still HOV and I'd hate to see it go the same as the others.
"Parts" of 680 and 880 are toll lanes, but I think majority of them are still HOV/carpool lanes? I didn't hear of them getting rid of them fully and replacing them with toll lanes, that's freakin insane.

I-680 Carpool Lanes| California Toll Roads

But I agree, the cheaters didn't help the cause for sure...

OK, then how about 2 person? Still CAV needed?
It is very simple:

1. If you have one person in the car, you can use any HOV lane only if you have the stickers on the car.
2. If it's a 2 person HOV lane, then you need either the stickers or two people in the car.
3. If it's a 3 person HOV lane, then you need either the stickers or three people in the car.

I'm just reposting what run-the-joules wrote above, which was 100% correct.

"Parts" of 680 and 880 are toll lanes, but I think majority of them are still HOV/carpool lanes? I didn't hear of them getting rid of them fully and replacing them with toll lanes, that's freakin insane.

I-680 Carpool Lanes| California Toll Roads

But I agree, the cheaters didn't help the cause for sure...
Note that they are also planning to move away from free use of the lanes for CAVs to just a discounted toll (which is already the case in some places in South CA):

New Rules Coming to SR 237 Express Lanes Next Summer

Discounts for users

California is trying to strike a balance between continued promotion of CAVs to further state climate and zero emission goals, and continue to provide a reliable commute via carpool and express lanes. In Silicon Valley, the increasing popularity of CAVs (that are predominantly single-occupant vehicles) has resulted in challenges to maintain travel speeds in the lanes to meet the minimum federal speed requirement of 45 mph. The new decal sticker program rules could provide relief to the existing overcrowding of these lanes.

Express lanes operators in California are preparing to toll CAVs that are using express lanes today toll-free. For example, LA Metro will be tolling CAVs later this year, offering a 15 percent toll discount when using the express lanes. CAVs already receive a 50 percent discount on Bay Area bridges. VTA’s proposed toll ordinance would provide solo-driving CAVs a 50 percent discount to use express lanes, aligning with other toll operator ordinances. Simply put, without the VTA toll ordinance, no discounts can be offered to CAVs or HOV(2+).

The number of CAVs on SR 237 Express Lanes have increased tremendously over the years and are now about 30 to 40 percent of all vehicles in the lanes. CAV ownership in California continues to increase year over year, especially in Santa Clara County, and these vehicles continue to become more mainstream with the State goal to reach five million CAVs by 2030. The rationale behind charging solo-driving CAVs at a discount is to still recognize these vehicles as carpool exempt, while still paying their fair share to use the express lanes as a solo driver. CAVs who meet the occupancy requirement will always be toll-free.
[...]