Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cleaning windows

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m having a real problem cleaning my windows. No matter what cleaner I use you always seem to leave a film that looks terrible when driving into the sun. Any suggestions?
Inside or outside? What does the "film" look like? Is it possible it has some sort of product on it from washing the car?

Also, do you have the "six squares" issue where there are 6 roughly 2"x2" square areas arranged in a grid across the windshield on the inside. They are visible only under certain circumstances, most easily seen when the inside fogs up a bit. Did you have it and have Tesla fix it? My window is usually fairly clean but it was next level clean when I got them to fix that, they had someone in there with a glass detailing pad rubbing for a number of minutes.

Isopropyl alcohol and many paper towels are the only thing I have found to remove the film on the inside of the windshield. Like all of my past new cars, the first year is the worst as all of the plastic in the car cause this problem.

Found the answer! Stop using the crappy window cleaning products from the Dollar Store and get Windex (or equivalent). Also, microfiber towels look and feel great but don’t seem to have the water absorbency of cotton.

Found the answer! Stop using the crappy window cleaning products from the Dollar Store and get Windex (or equivalent). Also, microfiber towels look and feel great but don’t seem to have the water absorbency of cotton.
I recommend the non-ammonia version of glass cleaner. Windex makes one, it'll say right on the bottle. There are others, too. It isn't really an issue for glass but the ammonia over the long term is hard on plastics when you get a bit of collateral misting, which is pretty much guaranteed to happen, or if you intentionally use it to clean things like the console surface.

I would still recommend using the microfiber towels, just the higher weight ones when you are looking to soak up a lot of liquid. For example: Autofiber Microfiber Car Care & Detailing Products They look a bit expensive but if you wash and dry them correctly they'll last you for years.

That said microfiber isn't quite as crucial on glass, as it is a relatively forgiving surface because of how study it is. It's just that the microfiber will work better at picking up dirt, and when it's fairly clean glass to start with because of a recent thorough cleaning you can even use the micro cloth dry and it'll suck up most of the dust (where as the cotton is just as likely to leave as much of its own fibers as it picks up).

Reactions: SammichLover