Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clicking from the steering column area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I put a little bit of weight on the steering wheel (e.g. let my arms hang off it), there's a clicking or creaking that happens from what sounds like either inside the steering column assembly or somewhere towards the footwell area, particularly if I turn the steering wheel or when I drive over medium type bumps or even road surface elevation changes.

Anyone else experience something like this? I've tried recording a few times but on camera the noise tends to get lost in all the normal noises from uneven surfaces :/ The service center considers any noises they heard during their test drive as normal, but there's no way this is expected behavior :mad:

I am experiencing this noise as well. I do NOT hear it when driving over bumps only when turning rapidly backing out of/pulling into parking spots and garage. It's going to a SC in the near future once they open near me.

Let me know what they say - for me it's most often associated with changing steering angle as well, but I've heard it while backing out of my driveway holding the steering angle constant with the only the uneven road surface causing something to trigger it.

Remembered I can get the sound to happen without actually driving. Generally putting a bit of weight on the steering wheel triggers the sound, or turning the steering wheel after putting a bit of weight on it (as well as happening randomly when turning the wheel while driving). My guess is possibly the steering column mechanism since holding the plastic around the steering column while driving does not change the sound at all... Going to try to get another service center to diagnose

They ended up adding a bunch of grease and sound deadening insulation but it didn't resolve anything since the sound wasn't being produced by the steering column shroud :rolleyes: I'm basically stuck with this until I either try pulling it apart myself or they allow customers and techs together in the car for test drives.

Last edited:
take it back to them

I did. The tech tried the car again and couldn't reproduce the noise on another brief test drive. Unfortunately it was the end of day at the service center and the guy disappeared before I could show him another way to reproduce it without driving further than a few feet. "Get someone to record a video of the noise" said the service advisor. I have several, now what ...

I did. The tech tried the car again and couldn't reproduce the noise on another brief test drive. Unfortunately it was the end of day at the service center and the guy disappeared before I could show him another way to reproduce it without driving further than a few feet. "Get someone to record a video of the noise" said the service advisor. I have several, now what ...
you send that video to them

upload the video to youtube then share that youtube link to them. Making sure the video is not set to private so they can view the video through that link