Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clicking sound when turning wheel all the way left or right.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a clicking noise when I turn my steering wheel all the way to the left or right. I feel a bit uncomfortable driving and service won’t see me until their next opening which is a week away.

Can anyone comment what this might be and if it something serious ?

2023 model 3 RWD - 6k miles

Thank you

I have attached a video below.

Model 3 clicking noise

Last edited:
Um. That's with wheel rotation, right?

I'm guessing that you have a dual-motor M3.

All right: I haven't experienced this with a Tesla. But, back in days of yore, I drove a '71 VW Beetle around. The rear had constant velocity joints, two per side, with honking great big ball bearings. Your noise sounds suspiciously like a CV joint going bad. Especially since you've got the steering wheel turned far right or left, and that's when the front CV joints get their maximum flex.

What follows is advice: The kind that's worth what you're paying for it. If that's a CV joint and it goes bad, you're going nowhere after it fails.

Um. CV joints tend to be more than a little rugged. Did you happen to run into a curb somewhere? That could do it.

I've been driving Teslas since 2018, haven't had this particular problem, but I have run into CV joints before. Like I said, it sounds like one of them.

Comments from anybody else out there?

Doesn’t sound too serious, but still a good idea to investigate. Not familiar with the suspension, but my guess is that the wheel is hitting a suspension component. Might even be a wheel weight. Do you have aftermarket wheels? Have you tried looking behind the wheels; any indication of metal to metal contact?

Um. That's with wheel rotation, right?

I'm guessing that you have a dual-motor M3.

All right: I haven't experienced this with a Tesla. But, back in days of yore, I drove a '71 VW Beetle around. The rear had constant velocity joints, two per side, with honking great big ball bearings. Your noise sounds suspiciously like a CV joint going bad. Especially since you've got the steering wheel turned far right or left, and that's when the front CV joints get their maximum flex.

What follows is advice: The kind that's worth what you're paying for it. If that's a CV joint and it goes bad, you're going nowhere after it fails.

Um. CV joints tend to be more than a little rugged. Did you happen to run into a curb somewhere? That could do it.

I've been driving Teslas since 2018, haven't had this particular problem, but I have run into CV joints before. Like I said, it sounds like one of them.

Comments from anybody else out there?
Yes wheel fully rotated. I believe my car is single motor(RWD). Can cv joints go bad at 6k miles? My wife may have hit a parking block at really low speeds but no where near the wheels were hit

Last edited:
Doesn’t sound too serious, but still a good idea to investigate. Not familiar with the suspension, but my guess is that the wheel is hitting a suspension component. Might even be a wheel weight. Do you have aftermarket wheels? Have you tried looking behind the wheels; any indication of metal to metal contact?
My car is completely stock took delivery on November 2022 6k miles

Just providing a update , it was a worn lateral link bushing. I was told it was a part defect from the factory. The sound is now gone.

Attachments

• IMG_7107.png
    IMG_7107.png
    564.3 KB · Views: 363
  • Informative
Reactions: Gtech and Black306
Interesting. My background, with cars, is classified under, "Shade tree mechanic." Which means I know some stuff (oil changes, grease guns, various pumps, and so on. Suspension isn't something I've really messed with, other than taking to the people who (a) know how to do it and (b) have wheel alignment systems that work.

I may have heard the words, "lateral link bushing" before now, but never really knew what it was. I've looked it up.

From what I can tell, these are bars that go between the frame and the wheel on the rear wheels. They work, apparently, to help keep the rear wheels pointing where they're supposed to go. The bushings appear to be at the ends and allow the wheel to move up and down. According to the brief description I read, worn ones allow the rear wheels to wobble, make for funny steering and, apparently, weird noises.

So, you being the victim in all of this: Were the noises from the rear?

Interesting. My background, with cars, is classified under, "Shade tree mechanic." Which means I know some stuff (oil changes, grease guns, various pumps, and so on. Suspension isn't something I've really messed with, other than taking to the people who (a) know how to do it and (b) have wheel alignment systems that work.

I may have heard the words, "lateral link bushing" before now, but never really knew what it was. I've looked it up.

From what I can tell, these are bars that go between the frame and the wheel on the rear wheels. They work, apparently, to help keep the rear wheels pointing where they're supposed to go. The bushings appear to be at the ends and allow the wheel to move up and down. According to the brief description I read, worn ones allow the rear wheels to wobble, make for funny steering and, apparently, weird noises.

So, you being the victim in all of this: Were the noises from the rear?
The fronts were replaced and the noise was coming from both wheels