Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change Denial

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Such as us designing more “efficient” systems than what evolution has, through trial and error, come up with over millions of years.
Unless you are advocating a return to hunter gatherer lifestyle then we will in fact need to design more efficient systems than what we have now, and we don't have millions of years to wait for changes. You have offered zero "solutions" other than "don't stop polluting now because the lack of pollution might cause...something"? Seems like vague nonsense.

Reactions: CyberGus
Unless you are advocating a return to hunter gatherer lifestyle then we will in fact need to design more efficient systems than what we have now, and we don't have millions of years to wait for changes. You have offered zero "solutions" other than "don't stop polluting now because the lack of pollution might cause...something"? Seems like vague nonsense.
I would like to wrap this up from my end with a few quotes.

Peter Senge "Today's problems come from yesterday's solutions"
Stephen Hawkings said that 21st century will be the century of complexity
Albert Einstein "We can't solve problems with the same thinking we used to create them.

We engaging in the exact same type of thinking and behavior that has brought us the problems that came with burning of fossil fuels. We are just doing it faster, and at a much bigger scale. It is absolutely an inevitability, that this approach will lead to a systemic collapse.

I'll try one more framing to help you grasp what I'm saying. If the probability of consequential negative consequences is >0 in any solution we engage in, and we are on a curve that causes us to solve problems exponentially faster, it is an inevitability that we will sooner or later end up with a situation where we cause the system to collapse.

Last edited:
I would like to wrap this up from my end with a few quotes.

Peter Senge "Today's problems come from yesterday's solutions"
Stephen Hawkings said that 21st century will be the century of complexity
Albert Einstein "We can't solve problems with the same thinking we used to create them.

We engaging in the exact same type of thinking and behavior that has brought us the problems that came with burning of fossil fuels. We are just doing it faster, and at a much bigger scale. It is absolutely an inevitability, that this approach will lead to a systemic collapse.

I'll try one more framing to help you grasp what I'm saying. If the probability of consequential negative consequences is >0 in any solution we engage in, and we are on a curve that causes us to solve problems exponentially faster, it is an inevitability that we will sooner or later end up with a situation where we cause the system to collapse.
Where is your evidence that "the probability of consequential negative consequences is >0 in any solution we engage in"? Do you really believe that no (net) good has ever come of human endeavor? Are you a professional nihilist?

It's actually a silly assumption. (Pointless, as well, because humans will always endeavor to do...something.)

I'm sure that Stephen Hawkings and Albert Einstein felt that their endeavors were destructive and pointless.

Last edited:
Reactions: CyberGus and JRP3
Where is your evidence that "the probability of consequential negative consequences is >0 in any solution we engage in"? Do you really believe that no (net) good has ever come of human endeavor? Are you a professional nihilist?

It's actually a silly assumption. (Pointless, as well, because humans will always endeavor to do...something.)

I'm sure that Stephen Hawkings and Albert Einstein felt that their endeavors were destructive and pointless.
Like I’ve said multiple times, the problem is the scale and speed. We engage in new ways of doing things at scale before we can validate them in the real world. Electrified economy, for example, is something that has not experienced even the predictable volatilities! See my comment on carrington events. Accepting the fragility of modernity is difficult.

Like I’ve said multiple times, the problem is the scale and speed. We engage in new ways of doing things at scale before we can validate them in the real world. Electrified economy, for example, is something that has not experienced even the predictable volatilities! See my comment on carrington events. Accepting the fragility of modernity is difficult.
I stand by my direct quote of what you said. If that's not what you meant, feel free to retract.

Some things we can't validate on a worldwide scale until we do them, so in spite of what else you might think you said, paralysis is the philosophy you appear to espouse.

Reactions: JRP3
I stand by my direct quote of what you said. If that's not what you meant, feel free to retract.

Some things we can't validate on a worldwide scale until we do them, so in spite of what else you might think you said, paralysis is the philosophy you appear to espouse.
Not at all. Scale and speed. Look at natural systems and evolution for an analogy.

There’s also an analogy for this in product development. Test first with small experiments before scaling. We are not doing that right now.

How do you think a globally electric
electrified economy might do if we lost the grid for a few years. Open up your mind a bit and engage with the right side of your brain.

This is ridiculous. The gradual shift to renewables and increased electrification is not a sudden overnight shift and we do not have the time to play around with "small experiments". Even if we could magically flip a switch and eliminate all fossil fuel emissions instantly there would still be at least decades of continued effects from their use. Basically you are advocating the equivalent of being in a smoked filled room and experimenting with drilling a few small holes to see what happens instead of opening a window. You provide nothing but vague platitudes about "thinking differently" while ignoring the obvious fact that switching to a renewable sustainable economy is "thinking differently".

Reactions: DrGriz and CyberGus
The IRA and it’s positive impact for the earth is like opening the window
We need more

Good news, the sustainable business expertise and tech is now a profitable business
Good thing we neglected our coal power plants and electricity currently has a high cost
Changing to wind and solar works

Reactions: DrGriz and CyberGus
This is ridiculous. The gradual shift to renewables and increased electrification is not a sudden overnight shift and we do not have the time to play around with "small experiments". Even if we could magically flip a switch and eliminate all fossil fuel emissions instantly there would still be at least decades of continued effects from their use. Basically you are advocating the equivalent of being in a smoked filled room and experimenting with drilling a few small holes to see what happens instead of opening a window. You provide nothing but vague platitudes about "thinking differently" while ignoring the obvious fact that switching to a renewable sustainable economy is "thinking differently".
Time and real world volatility will be the judge. Not you, nor me. Like I said there is a 100% probability that there will be a disruptive solar event. We do not know what the effects on electric systems will be, as is stated by the top expert i quoted in an earlier post. What do you think will happen to the renewable economy if yhe grid is down for a few years. You are engaging in burying your head in the sand and wishful thinking.

Time and real world volatility will be the judge. Not you, nor me. Like I said there is a 100% probability that there will be a disruptive solar event. We do not know what the effects on electric systems will be, as is stated by the top expert i quoted in an earlier post. What do you think will happen to the renewable economy if yhe grid is down for a few years. You are engaging in burying your head in the sand and wishful thinking.
You are stuck in magical thinking about a stable world that is fully predictable. There’s a great word that encapsulates your ignorance - hubris.

Now you're just rambling replying to yourself. I don't think you are interested in an actual conversation.
JRP3, direct question to you. What do you think will be the consequence of the next Carrington event that could (or could not) cause the grid to be down for years? And this is a known risk. There are also plenty of risks we do not know about.

This is obviously also a risk to Tesla investors. In the article I shared Palmroth made a guess of the next big event in 2030-2040. It is heartbraking to face the smallness of our abilities, truly face them. It's scary as hell and I understand why most of us are refusing to see reality as it is. But the real world does not care about your, or my opinion or wishful thinking.

A large Carrington event is likely going to be a worldwide disaster, as would be a large asteroid strike or a super volcano eruption . Somethings we just can't do much about so it's stupid to pretend we should do nothing in the meantime because a disaster might happen. Again you offer no solutions just fear mongering. If you fear the Carrington event so much then stock up preserved food, have a way to access and purify water without electricity, and have a source of firewood for heat and cooking. I have all of that. Also, don't live in a city.

Reactions: DrGriz
A large Carrington event is likely going to be a worldwide disaster, as would be a large asteroid strike or a super volcano eruption . Somethings we just can't do much about so it's stupid to pretend we should do nothing in the meantime because a disaster might happen. Again you offer no solutions just fear mongering. If you fear the Carrington event so much then stock up preserved food, have a way to access and purify water without electricity, and have a source of firewood for heat and cooking. I have all of that. Also, don't live in a city.
Oh now you are saying we shouldn't do anything about it! We literally have survived many such events, the proof is in us being alive right here right now. Its the current system that won't survive it. Why would you go full steam ahead with a system you know won't survive something that will very likely come in a few decades? What we should do is to make our systems for necessities local and robust. Instead of going faster and bigger with modernity, we should stop and maybe take a step back and rely on technologies and traditions we know have survived much more volatility. If you think its better to just double down and hope for the best, you have every right to do so. I will in the mean time try to make money with TSLA as long as its possible and help my community be more robust against all kinds of possible volatile events. Trying to predict the future is not a good strategy.

And I'm sure someone will soon come and ask "what's your evidence for future volatility", well I don't have any. The best we can do is to observe persistent patterns and minimize connectivity and keep production of life essentials close to local communities. Does life look different in that system? Absolutely, but I'm a bit weird since I prefer survival over the convenience that our current fragile and over consuming system provides.

The irony of you predicting a Carrington event and basing your life on that prediction.
It is just an example. One can acknowledge that there are events that we know quite well will happen at some point, we just don't know exactly well, but we can also acknowledge that there events that we don't even know about could happen. Current trends are towards centralization of capital, and production. Do the opposite of that and we are already much more robust against many events. Rely less on modern technology. I'm advocating for a much more conservative approach to any new intervention. Communities should have control over their own food production, organic and not reliant on mehanization. This will mean much higher percentage of people working in agriculture, and other essentials. But to be fair, I do think a change like that is not going to happen until its forced on us. I'm barbelling my approach, I ride the TSLA wave and enjoy the fruits of that while I can, and at the same time I'm trying to make sure that me, my family, and my community have the tools and the skills to have a better chance in a world that might lack much of the modern technology.

So you have zero solutions at all, and all your complaining has zero to do with the real need to move ourselves to sustainability. Maybe this will allow you to relax a bit:

Ice core samples have shown evidence that large-scale geomagnetic storms with similar intensities as the Miyake and Carrington events occur at an average rate of once every 500 years.

Reactions: DrGriz