Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clipped a curb turning, auto-steer is pulling -- what did I break? :/

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was turning right at an intersection (from a stop) and brushed the curb with my rear wheel, causing a pretty nasty curb rash on the rim and bouncing the car pretty loudly.

The alignment might be pulling a little (it's hard to tell with road crowns) but autopilot immediately veers to the right like it just saw a rest stop and it NEEDS TO GO, NOW! It keeps pulling until it cancels because I refuse to let it exit the road.

I've never had a self-steering car before, I love mine, and I'm afraid I did something terrible to it. Any thoughts? Suggestions? Reassurances?

Mystery solved: I had knocked it way out of alignment, causing "straight" to be off-center on the steering wheel. Autopilot started off by attempting to straighten the steering wheel when engaged, which sent me careening towards the next lane over.

Whew.

Big props to Custom Alignment in Mountain View for getting me taken care of today. Alignment is better than factory now.

PSA: If you're ever turning from Byron onto Lytton in Palo Alto, watch out for this bugger:

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

It's hard to imagine all of the rims this one has claimed over the years. Seems like a little bright orange paint would do a lot of good here.

I feel a little -- and only a little -- less embarrassed at having clipped it, after stopping by today for a closer look. Cutting corners too close is a good example of what not to do when driving a low-slung car. Lesson learned.

Last edited:
I always drive the S as if I had a semi-trailer in tow... taking really wide exaggerated turns around tight corner things like this... because the car is so wide and long. Sorry you had to learn the hard way.