Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cold weather driving sucks up the battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I only have all season tires on my 2020 M3 LR. Within 2 months of buying it I took it out in 10 inches of fresh snow. It did great on our twisty-turny steep rural New England roads. In fact it handles as well as either of the two jeep Grand Cherokees I've had in the past. Having said that, I'd get some winter tires for a trip to Mammoth. I've driven there from L.A. several times. The roads are, for the most part, straighter and less steep than the roads around here, but the snow can be way, way, way deeper. If I were you I'd check with Tesla about whether or not your car can handle chains. The state or county authorities may require chains depending on the weather. As for range, I'd play it safe and assume your going to get about 20% less range on those really cold days and nights. You can see where the superchargers are located on the Tesla website or just enter mammoth as a destination in the navigation feature on your car's touchscreen and it will show you where they are.

This will be a relatively easy trip in your Tesla. You probably have all season tires on your car. If you have summer only tires, you need to be more careful. Supercharging network is the most reliable high speed charging system on the planet. While nothing is perfect, your display will tell you how many chargers are available at each station.
One caution, is that you will be going at a very busy travel time. Superchargers tend to get busiest as drivers all want to charge up about lunch time. This can often result in lines at the more popular stations. If you are worried, please stop before 10:00 or after 3:00. This way you can avoid the heaviest congestion on Holday Weekends.

Have a great trip.