Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Collecting my car today - what to check for?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don't need to take a sim.

Here's one that you can use - it's probably out of date and a bit American but I found it helpful

delivery checklist.jpg

Things to check inside the car (frunk and boot - under floor area):

Red bag with first aid kit etc

Black bag with UMC (portable charge point), should have two adapter leads, one with a 16 A commando plug, one with a 13 A plug

Type 2 charge cable, usually 4m long, usually inside a clear plastic bag.

Things to check that you are given:

Two RFID cards to access the car, usually tucked inside a cardboard wallet that may well be left in the centre console.

Things to take with you:

Your phone, with the Tesla App loaded, but with the app physically shut down (needs to be activated with the car on for pairing - ask me how I found this out...).

Your driving licence as photo ID

Any paperwork they've asked for (my experience was that they didn't check insurance, but I took it just in case).

No need for any data SIM, but you may wish to take a suitable USB stick, formatted with a folder called TeslaCam, with you, so that the dash cam is operational from the moment you start driving. I took a Samsung T5 SSD, formatted with two partitions, one with a folder called TeslaCam (for the dash cam) the other with a folder called TeslaMusic, with my entire MP3 collection. Doing it this way allows the dash cam to work all the time, allows video from Sentry Mode to be stored and also allows your music collection to be played through the car's (pretty impressive) sound system.

Be prepared for the wipers to probably not work well, if at all, on automatic. In light rain they are near-useless, and the chances are that any newly delivered car will be on an older version of the software (the wipers are getting better). In particular, make sure you can easily work the wiper controls on the screen before you set off, although you can get a single wipe by just pressing the end of the left stalk.

[edited to add that @Alex987854 beat me to it with a much more comprehensive list!]

• Disagree
Reactions: T.F.S.
Don’t forget to check if the cubby hole in the left hand side of the boot is there.

Nah, seriously, do some basic checks but most importantly enjoy driving the car on the way back home rather then stress over issues that probably won’t exist or genuine ones that Tesla will fix. Do a more thorough check when you get back home, preferably in daylight.