Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Collection day sanitising

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dilly

Feb 24, 2020
Norfolk
Being in the self isolating ‘at risk’ category and at the same time wanting the car, I know all things I can do to keep me safe.

It would seem prudent to clean the door and boot handles and for that Dettol wipes or suchlike should suffice.

Anyone have any recommendations for cleaning the touchscreen and steering wheel without inflicting damage on them.

Thankfully there is not much to touch and the risks should be pretty low. But you never know!

Being in the self isolating ‘at risk’ category and at the same time wanting the car, I know all things I can do to keep me safe.

It would seem prudent to clean the door and boot handles and for that Dettol wipes or suchlike should suffice.

Anyone have any recommendations for cleaning the touchscreen and steering wheel without inflicting damage on them.

Thankfully there is not much to touch and the risks should be pretty low. But you never know!
Things like detol wipes not recommended for the faux leather but once probably won't hurt. Screen is glass so alcohol screen wipes would be fine

I’m perhaps wrong but touching surfaces etc is only a transmission vector if you then go on to touch your face, isn’t it? The virus doesn’t penetrate skin.

The key thing is to wash your hands properly and avoid touching your face.

You could wear disposable gloves when picking up the car (again remembering not to touch your face) and then dispose of them when you get home?

Reactions: BluestarE3
I’m perhaps wrong but touching surfaces etc is only a transmission vector if you then go on to touch your face, isn’t it? The virus doesn’t penetrate skin.

The key thing is to wash your hands properly and avoid touching your face.

You could wear disposable gloves when picking up the car (again remembering not to touch your face) and then dispose of them when you get home?
I think wearing gloves would help remind you not to reflexively touch your face.

Reactions: Gatsojon and Durzel
Indeed.

If you are thinking that everything you or your clothes come into contact with have Covid-19 on them then realistically you’re going to be changing your clothes several times a day.

Just be sensible about it :)

I'm no doctor (and I don't play one on tv, either) but I don't think viruses are 'alive' and so can't be 'killed'.

not sure about the temperature thing. also not sure about the 'not thru skin' thing. I think all that is wrong.

you should take it more seriously than people here are suggesting.

me, I say: "kill it with fire. its the only way to be sure."

(j/k)

There some simple steps, no need to be cleaning anything down etc.

Keep your distance from the people you meet today, at least two metres if you can.

Wash your hands, and don’t touch your face.

This is a serious situation we are in and I get the sense the “people” may not be there yet as we have not reached peak, but with sensible precautions you will be okay.

Reactions: house9
From my collection experience at Stockport yesterday they were pretty on top of hygiene. There was always someone wiping surfaces down and cleaning regularly touched areas.

Likewise they had a no handshakes and a 2m policy. There was no group presentation only a video on loop to view as and when and you were given your key to go and view the car yourself. Any techs that came to assist all had gloves on anyway.

I haven’t personally taken any steps to clean/ ‘disinfect’ the car. Although I don’t think it’s a bad idea.

Reactions: house9 and Gatsojon
washing our hands with regular soap as advised?

One of the things I have heard (and reason for "two verses of happy birthday") is that prolonged exposure to soap does the trick, along with the abrasion to dislodge stuff. Is so then the PM doing a demonstration with his hands under a running tap won't have been any use ...

I suppose there must be a reason that surgeons go through the hand washing routine, as seen on Casualty :) Although they then use Hibby(sp?) scrub after that.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions.
Glad to know that Tesla staff are on the ball though they must be as scared as the rest of us.
The evidence suggests that the virus cannot live longer than 72 hours outside a host, so potential contamination will come only once the cars get moved around leaving the boat.

Here’s the plan:
Wipe down the door handles etc inside & out. Leave screen protector on, wipe that down. Wipe down the steering wheel, wipe down the seat controls. Wear gloves.
There appears to be some truth in high temperature killing it, so heat the car to the max.

finally, being British, we love to laugh in the face adversity. So I would like to take the opportunity to start the rumour that he virus cannot survive speeds above 120mph. But then nor can the wife...

• Funny
Reactions: WannabeOwner
WHO info (FWIW at #6 I do each individual finger, rather than just the thumbs. I am sure that #10 is obvious, but hadn't occurred to me ...)

WHO | Clean hands protect against infection

• Clean your hands regularly.
  • Wash your hands with soap and water, and dry them thoroughly.
  • Use alcohol-based handrub if you don’t have immediate access to soap and water.
How do I wash my hands properly?
Washing your hands properly takes about as long as singing "Happy Birthday" twice,
using the images below.

how_to_handwash_lge.gif

P.S. Dental hygienist yesterday required all visitors to wash hands on arrival / before departure. Of course the actual dental room and instruments are beautifully sterile ... which is a lot more than can be said for their bog, now visited by ever single person, touching door handles, swing-lid for bid, and a bunch of other surfaces ...

The soap thing is because its chemical composition breaks down the lipid outer shell of the virus. Soap is better than detergent, so a bar rather than the usual pump handwash is better.
yup, saying soap doesn't work on virus' is a load of crap. The lipid bilayer that they are contained within is by name a fatty acid that is dissolved by soap. So get soap on them and they literally fall apart.
If you're worried about the virus, there's nothing wrong with wiping down any hard surfaces with an anti bac wipe and turning the heat up to dry things out. The worst that can happen is you have a clean warm car.

Reactions: Gatsojon