Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1 week old MYP - reversed into fire hose

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

Today is a sad day.
My one week old new Model Y Performance has its first battle scar - inflicted by me... and I'm completely devastated.

Whilst reversing, I clipped a free-standing fire hose. Fortunately it was at very low speed and damage is fairly minimal compared to what it could have been.
But it did scuff the paint on the hatch door, and crushed part of the spoiler. I've attached pictures of the damage.

I live in Hervey Bay in QLD, but understand that I'll probably have to travel down to Brisbane to get this fixed. Does anyone have any body shops they've had good experiences with that they could recommend to repair the scuffed paint? (And approximate costs for similar damage if anyone knows).

Secondly, what's the best way to go about getting the spoiler replaced? I'd imagine this would need to go through Tesla Service for an OEM part?

Really appreciate any advice or recommendations anyone can provide. In the meantime, I'll try not to wallow in my own self pity and frustration...

Thanks!

Attachments

• 71057963265__CE89F622-FC75-46C3-8267-67F7F0C5C416.jpg
    71057963265__CE89F622-FC75-46C3-8267-67F7F0C5C416.jpg
    414.4 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_5429.jpg
    IMG_5429.jpg
    805.1 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_5430.jpg
    IMG_5430.jpg
    568.3 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_5431.jpg
    IMG_5431.jpg
    464.9 KB · Views: 154
Really sorry that happened to you.

What the heck is a free standing fire hose?
Yeah it sucks... my own fault for not paying close enough attention though - the fire hose has been there the whole time I've lived here so I should have been more careful.

I live on an acreage, and there is a fire house near the shed where the Model Y is parked and charged.

The fire hose is free-standing in that it's fixed to a metal post in the middle of the yard, not attached to a wall. I've attached a picture for clarity - picture is a bit average as there is very little light out here in the country at night.

Fortunately (?) the car only hit the edge of the red hose reel and not the metal post itself which would have caused much more significant damage.

Attachments

• IMG_5449.jpg
    IMG_5449.jpg
    354.3 KB · Views: 112
As far as the small dent goes, that will need to be worked on by a body shop. The paint transfer could be buffed out with some rubbing compound and some scratch X.
May be surprised on how well this works.

1688912413994.png

1688912456386.png

The spoiler can be replaced but I would look up on youtube on the best way to remove the one installed, It may require some heat and you don't want to cause any additional issue.

You can find more reasonable aftermarket spoilers. I would recommend to replace their installed tape with a 3M brand.
I personally like this model.

Don't beat yourself up about this. It happens and it can be repaired. My wife hit the side of the garage on our 2017 MS when it was new. I was able to get the paint transfer off by using rubbing compound and scratch X. The small, very small dent was left. I didn't worry about it.

I hit a curb with our 2020 MY a month or so ago and well, it's still in the shop. They are still tracking down a vibration issue. They're at $8,900 and climbing.

I wish you positive results.

Last edited:
As far as the small dent goes, that will need to be worked on by a body shop. The paint transfer could be buffed out with some rubbing compound and some scratch X.
May be surprised on how well this works.

Don't beat yourself up about this. It happens and it can be repaired. My wife hit the side of the garage on our 2017 MS when it was new. I was able to get the paint transfer off by using rubbing compound and scratch X. The small, very small dent was left. I didn't worry about it.

I hit a curb with our 2020 MY a month or so ago and well, it's still in the shop. They are still tracking down a vibration issue. They're at $8,900 and climbing.

I wish you positive results.
Thanks for that!
I don't trust myself to apply the rubbing compound/ScratchX so I might leave that to more skilled hands!

Although one part of the mark is not paint-transfer (well... not on to the car at least), it's chipped the MSM paint right off and is showing what I believe to be the layer under the paint (I have pointed with an arrow in attached image), so it looks like I'll have to get that touched up/sprayed anyway.

The nearest Tesla-approved body shop is two hours away from me so I'll give them a call during the week and see what they'll charge to repair.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-10 at 1.02.33 am.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-10 at 1.02.33 am.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 88
The nearest Tesla-approved body shop is two hours away from me
I may be going against the grain here but I don't think you would need Quote, Tesla Approved shop for this. See if there is a shop near by that does vinyl wraps or Paint Protection work on vehicles. They may help with the spoiler work and maybe use some professional rubbing compound with an orbital buffer and knock that out. They probably can use touch up paint to fix where the paint had came off and when dry, buff it to where it looks new again.

Yeah it sucks... my own fault for not paying close enough attention though - the fire hose has been there the whole time I've lived here so I should have been more careful.

I live on an acreage, and there is a fire house near the shed where the Model Y is parked and charged.

The fire hose is free-standing in that it's fixed to a metal post in the middle of the yard, not attached to a wall. I've attached a picture for clarity - picture is a bit average as there is very little light out here in the country at night.

Fortunately (?) the car only hit the edge of the red hose reel and not the metal post itself which would have caused much more significant damage.
Didn’t know such things existed. I can see how they’d be easy to back into.

I may be going against the grain here but I don't think you would need Quote, Tesla Approved shop for this. See if there is a shop near by that does vinyl wraps or Paint Protection work on vehicles. They may help with the spoiler work and maybe use some professional rubbing compound with an orbital buffer and knock that out. They probably can use touch up paint to fix where the paint had came off and when dry, buff it to where it looks new again.
Only reason I was thinking Tesla-approved (aside from hoping they might do a better job) is that I figured they would have ready access to Tesla paint as opposed to another shop that may have difficulty matching it.

Admittedly my knowledge in this area is entirely zilch, so happy to take recommendations for non-Tesla-approved onboard.

Reverse parking sensors did not help?
Unfortunately not - the only noise they made was the higher pitched chime for 'STOP' about half a second before it hit.

I'm guessing because the pole is quite narrow and the hose reel itself is raised up above the range of the sensors they couldn't detect it properly.

Attachments

• IMG_5450.jpg
    IMG_5450.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_5453.jpg
    IMG_5453.jpg
    688.7 KB · Views: 90
Reverse parking sensors did not help?
I have a Landcruiser 200 which i sent in for a routine service at the Toyota Stealer. It had the ultrasonics and reverse camera
The apprentice mechanic reversed into a firehose which was set against a wall.
Destroyed the upper liftgate which pushed into the lower liftgate, the bumper which had the tow bar and smashed the rear window. Major repair job

Lesson: warning aids can only do so much

sorry to hear @PG93. Interested to hear of the repair process... 👍

figured they would have ready access to Tesla paint as opposed to another shop that may have difficulty matching it.
They can all lookup or use their scanner to match paint these days.
And the dent looks small enough that some dent removal tools (magnets and suction cups) might be able to help.

The spoiler is probably the toughest part. The patch suggestion above might be most cost effective.

Only reason I was thinking Tesla-approved (aside from hoping they might do a better job) is that I figured they would have ready access to Tesla paint as opposed to another shop that may have difficulty matching it.

Admittedly my knowledge in this area is entirely zilch, so happy to take recommendations for non-Tesla-approved onboard.
When I damaged my tesla, the local tesla guy recommended a small one man repairer that he assured me would be better value and a superior job to any of the tesla approved places. The challenge is finding such a skilled repairer. He had no issue maching the tesla metallic paint.

Reactions: Quickst