Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Collection location variances

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Heathrow is a very well lit warehouse. I reckon it is pretty much ideal for examining the car (under artificial light, you can obviously drive it outside if you want to also check in daylight)

You definitely won't be rushed at Heathrow, there is plenty of space in the warehouse (probably 50 cars in there at any one time, if they are busy they "refill" it a couple of times a day; other people will leave in good time, I can't believe they will be in any hurry for you to vacate your specific slot). There are people on hand, they will spend time with you if you need it, the knowledge and "customer service" is friendly and good.

I'm doubtful they have capacity to handle a lot of workshop-throughput for fixes (i.e. relative to the 100+ cars they handover each day ...), but there again they of course are aiming not to have faulty cars in the first place :) I've picked up 5 cars from there; 4 of them had zero faults, on the car this week the rear door was slightly out of alignment, they took it to workshop and sorted it out and when they brought it back they said they had found a chip on a rear wheel so they had replaced that with a new one ... but I would also say that I was there early, I skipped the PowerPoint as already familiar with the 3 and so I was "first and only" in the warehouse, so I might have got lucky for that reason.

That's all after you've joined the group PowerPoint presentation :) Before that there is coffee / biscuits, and they have a "show" car parked there which you can sit in and figure it all out, if you are in good time ahead of the PowerPoint. (They had one each of 3, S and X this week. Last time I went I think there was just a 3 there, but over in the Sales Showroom they definitely have cars so you could always go over there if you wanted some pre-PowerPoint familiarisation).

So don't let me put anyone off Heathrow ... but I'm pretty sure it is a conveyor belt, in comparison to any of the provincial stores. But on the other hand they are tooled up for high-turnover.

This is the sort of info that is invaluable to those that haven't had any sort of experience with the collection process. Deffo makes me think it would be worthwhile going to Heathrow.

Even if the car wasnt fully charged, it would be nice to stop on the mway on the way home (Leicester)

Reactions: Durzel
Even if the car wasnt fully charged, it would be nice to stop on the mway on the way home (Leicester)

Not many stalls at Heathrow, tight to get in/out of, sometimes blocked by people getting service.

Hilton Heathrow nearby, offers discount to Tesla drivers for Food/Drink. More stalls there.

If possible do not Pair (stalls are marked A/B), as second-to-arrive gets reduced power (until first car leaves)

SatNav shows "reachable" Superchargers with bright-red icon, out-of-range ones as a lighter colour icon.

Click on appropriate one and check the facilities - I recommend avoiding old sites with only fewer stalls - more chance of being occupied, or having to pair. Press "Navigate there" (if you navigate to destination, and need a charge, Satnav will take you via a Supercharger, but if you don't or need more juice for onward-journey, or perhaps just want to make sure you have done the Supercharger-experience when range not critical :), then click on Icon and "Navigate there")

Deliberate Navigate to / via Supercharger will also precondition the battery for maximum charge rate when you get there (as compared to just passing one and off-chancing it)

If planning your journey beforehand use A Better Route Planner - choose vehicle model, and set "Start charge" to e.g. 40% and see what it recommends. For Leicester you can't use M1 Newport Pagnell as it is South Bound (well ... there is the access road but I don't know what the barrier-state is currently, that may well prevent access). Northampton is at a hotel, not many stalls ... make sure you register at Reception to avoid parking-fine.

Heathrow / Hilton Heathrow might be best for Leicester