Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Collision and State Farm Insurance company

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Involved in a collision in 2022 Model Y with only 8000 miles on it (purchased new in 11/2022). I posted some pictures. We have State Farm Insurance. There are 3 potential Tesla authorized repair shops I can choose from in the Seattle area, none of which are on State Farms Preferred Repair list (not surprising). This is our first Tesla and the first time we will have to deal with an insurance claim with a repair shop that is not on their preferred list. When I called one shop, they set a date for an estimate (car cannot be driven for will send pics or will tow if needed). When I called another shop, they asked that I get a State Farm estimate first.
Here is my question:
If I send pics in etc to State Farm, and they give an estimate (which may be lower than actual repair cost when it is actually taken in)- what happens?
Could State Farm just send me a check for their own estimate and then I have to pay the difference, even before I actually take it in? This is what I don't want to happen as I feel this may be a totaled car.
Or does the the autobody repair shop talk with State Farm about the actual cost of repair, and then State Farm approves and pays for the full repair? (or I guess declines to agree and not pay?)

Do I need to do the initial State Farm quote in the first place? or should I just wait for my estimate date and let the shop quote a repair cost and then they send it in to State Farm?

Looking for any guidance on the best way to go about this- get the State Farm estimate first, or get the auto repair body quote first and have them send to State Farm.

thanks

Attachments

• DA2470DD-5F74-4B1B-A22D-D1AD09591289.jpeg
    DA2470DD-5F74-4B1B-A22D-D1AD09591289.jpeg
    757 KB · Views: 193
  • 5D615C8D-9360-4E87-B4C6-11446EEF935A.jpeg
    5D615C8D-9360-4E87-B4C6-11446EEF935A.jpeg
    583.7 KB · Views: 94
  • 8090C0EF-8A21-41CA-B3A9-7A69622DA789.jpeg
    8090C0EF-8A21-41CA-B3A9-7A69622DA789.jpeg
    633.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 28E7FCAA-DA5A-4580-9C5A-C7E1899C0B81.jpeg
    28E7FCAA-DA5A-4580-9C5A-C7E1899C0B81.jpeg
    365.6 KB · Views: 98
I hope you have gap insurance.hope everyone is okay. Sorry to see this happened to a new car. are you in California?
Involved in a collision in 2022 Model Y with only 8000 miles on it (purchased new in 11/2022). I posted some pictures. We have State Farm Insurance. There are 3 potential Tesla authorized repair shops I can choose from in the Seattle area, none of which are on State Farms Preferred Repair list (not surprising). This is our first Tesla and the first time we will have to deal with an insurance claim with a repair shop that is not on their preferred list. When I called one shop, they set a date for an estimate (car cannot be driven for will send pics or will tow if needed). When I called another shop, they asked that I get a State Farm estimate first.
Here is my question:
If I send pics in etc to State Farm, and they give an estimate (which may be lower than actual repair cost when it is actually taken in)- what happens?
Could State Farm just send me a check for their own estimate and then I have to pay the difference, even before I actually take it in? This is what I don't want to happen as I feel this may be a totaled car.
Or does the the autobody repair shop talk with State Farm about the actual cost of repair, and then State Farm approves and pays for the full repair? (or I guess declines to agree and not pay?)

Do I need to do the initial State Farm quote in the first place? or should I just wait for my estimate date and let the shop quote a repair cost and then they send it in to State Farm?

Looking for any guidance on the best way to go about this- get the State Farm estimate first, or get the auto repair body quote first and have them send to State Farm.

thanks
Hope you are okay. Can you please tell what happened afterwards? I am in a similar situation. Need some advice.

In my experience "non preferred" is a non-issue. I have a local auto shop that I trust, they work on everything I have body wise, and it's all covered by SF. I simply give the shop my policy number and I'm done. He handles SF directly, they pay him, etc.. It's been a bit, I think I paid them for the shop my deductable, but that was it.

I was told by SF the key is to get the shop and the SF together before any work is done, and I've followed that. SF is common enough I've never seen a body shop that didn't know how to engage SF.

As a point of fact, simply asking SF the process and implications is easy and appropriate. Personally I've always found them expensive, but very very responsbile, responsive, and reasonable. Which is why I pay for a more expensive insurance company. Simply put, I want the customer service and am willing to pay for it.