Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla repair vs State Farm insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone experience with the process of filing claim with State Farm?

My situation: hit road debris, brought to Tesla, initial visual inspection determines that a battery pack replacement is needed

As I understand the process:

1. Called state farm to start claim process and chose Tesla repair shop
2. Tesla will do thorough inspection
3. State farm will use their adjuster to wheel/deal/low-ball estimate from Tesla
4. I'm left in the middle to convince State Farm this is the only way and give more money?
5. Repair finally approved.
6. Most important: Tesla requires payment from me after repair, State Farm will send check to me?

Thank you.

My situation: hit road debris, brought to Tesla, initial visual inspection determines that a battery pack replacement is needed

3. State farm will use their adjuster to wheel/deal/low-ball estimate from Tesla
4. I'm left in the middle to convince State Farm this is the only way and give more money?
6. Most important: Tesla requires payment from me after repair, State Farm will send check to me?

Thank you.

Hey - So I just joined the group. I’ve been insured with State Farm for 30 years. I have 5 vehicles on my policy and excellent rates. I’m trying to find out what insurance rates would look like on a 2023 Model 3 - Standard Rear Motor which I’m about to order. All my Agent will tell me is I don’t know - I need a VIN. So does anyone have any insights on full coverage vs the tradition ICE?

Thank you.
I am in your situation now (just posted a similar question) and am wondering if this is how it went for you. I had one shop ask me to get a State Farm estimate first- did you do that? I called State Farm and they sent me a link to upload photos etc that they will then review and give an estimate. My concern of this is - does State Farm just send a check based on their estimate of repair, or will they wait for me to take it in to a shop and then the shop and State Farm will compare estimates, come to an agreement etc.
I am not sure if I should go about sending pics first to State Farm. I think it may be totaled but obviously need to wait to get an estimate first

Hey - So I just joined the group. I’ve been insured with State Farm for 30 years. I have 5 vehicles on my policy and excellent rates. I’m trying to find out what insurance rates would look like on a 2023 Model 3 - Standard Rear Motor which I’m about to order. All my Agent will tell me is I don’t know - I need a VIN. So does anyone have any insights on full coverage vs the tradition ICE?
Likely lazy agent. Mine gave me an accurate quote without vin.

I can tell you these things:

1) State Farm insures everything I own and I've never been under-compensated for anything. 35 years now. I've made money on 2 cars that were totaled.
2) For auto claims I've never done more than call them at the moment of the incident and tell them where it was going. Been a while, but I seem to recall SF paying the shops directly.
3) I don't believe SF has the right to tell you what they'll pay. it costs what it costs. I suppose it depends on what coverage you have. You might, as an example, be open to ammortized use with some policies. I always make sure I have full replacement on mine.
4) The like to have a VIN to make sure they know what car and trim level you have. Need it? I don't know. If I had a M3 I'd PM you mine as a for instance. Maybe look around? A VIN is every car window. Hardly confidential.

YMMV. Good luck!

I dunno if it helps, but i had a similar situation with my windshield replacement claim. I had put in a claim with State Farm and they recommended a couple of places. Found out only Tesla would do the repair (other glass shops wouldn't do it). Contacted State Farm again and mentioned only Tesla could do the repair. They requested an estimate from Tesla. Sent the estimate I got from Tesla and they approved it. I had to pay it first though (as the check didn't come in time).