Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Collision detection too agressive for garage (need "Garage Mode")

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I'm pulling into or out of my garage, it sounds like the bridge of the Enterprise when there's a "red alert". The collision detection stuff is giving me warnings to stop immediately...sometimes when there's literally nothing there, or sometimes when there are some leaves near me (oooh, scary!).

I think some degree of collision detection is going to get triggered in pretty much any single car garage. I have only a few inches of clearance on each side with the mirrors open. Not sure there's too much they can do here, but they can detect which direction the car is travelling in, and whether or not it's on an actual collision course with the door frame.

Thoughts:
- Let users define location(s) - or automatically detect - places where they frequently park.
- "Garage Mode" would change the response of these alarms at these locations
- When travelling at very low speeds, or when the user presses some button on the screen, change the operation mode of the cameras. Don't just detect "obstacles", detect "solid" obstacles. (Leaf on ground == not solid obstacle)
- Or maybe the geofenced locations just temporarily disable the audible warnings. I don't want to disable them completely, because they are valuable in other cases.

I don't know what the capabilities of the cameras are today. But instead of scanning near & far for items nearby, they could potentially be more focused to things directly in the path of the car.

These sorts of bogus warnings make me worry about the accuracy of the cameras. Wish there was some way we could put the car into a more detailed "bug report with video" mode, so that we could capture a broader set of telemetry to share with the engineers.

Reactions: Msjulie