Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Colorado Registration Timeline

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Delivery November 3. Original paper plate was December 29 but I lost it and the replacement expires on January 12. Doesn't look promising that the paperwork will arrive by then. My small county clerk's office warned me that Tesla is slow to submit paperwork. I guess I will need another $7 paper plate soon. Rather annoying — I really want to put my twelve year old PLUGSIN plates on my new car!

LEAF license plate0305cropsf 10-27-11.jpg

Upvote 0
My temp tag expired so I had to request a new one from Tesla. On a whim I called my county DMV office and they had my paperwork already but hadn't processed it yet. They processed it the same day I called so it might be worthwhile to call your county DMV to see if they have the paperwork and can go ahead and process your title so you can get your plates.

Reactions: Operator
Upvote 0
Timeline:

3 November 2023, Delivery

9 January 2024, Text message from the county Clerk and Recorder that my paperwork had finally arrived (three days before my replacement paper plate expired)

10 January 2024, License plate registration completed

PLUGSIN on Model Y 20240110sf_134312149.jpg

^ My car at the Ouray County Courthouse with my twelve year old plate finally on it. Yes, we are having a real winter here in the mountains, so all the cars were covered with road grime from the snowpacked roads this morning. I'm at more than 5900 miles on the new Y LR in a bit over two months.

Upvote 0
I just moved here so a little hazy on the details. I purchased the vehicle in Utah and received a packet from Tesla including the title and some other documents. I’m assuming I’ll have to take this into the dmv and self-register to get my plate and pay sales tax?

Sorry, this worked very differently in WA state

Upvote 0
I just moved here so a little hazy on the details. I purchased the vehicle in Utah and received a packet from Tesla including the title and some other documents. I’m assuming I’ll have to take this into the dmv and self-register to get my plate and pay sales tax?

Sorry, this worked very differently in WA state
You might want to start here:

If you live in a small county you can just visit the Clerk and Recorder office, which handles vehicle registrations. Larger counties tend to have a motor vehicle office, check the county website.

Some registrations can be done online but I have no experience with that since it is so easy to deal with the county staff directly where I live. Others here will know more.

Upvote 0
WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally had the opportunity to register the car............ You have GOT to be kidding me! $1700! And Colorado roads are in the state of disrepair they are in..... Pass!!! Ended up swapping plates with my wife's car, and just had to pay around $370. But wow, was not expecting over $1500.

Upvote 0
WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally had the opportunity to register the car............ You have GOT to be kidding me! $1700! And Colorado roads are in the state of disrepair they are in..... Pass!!! Ended up swapping plates with my wife's car, and just had to pay around $370. But wow, was not expecting over $1500.
In my county, Ouray, the largest portion of a new car registration is the specific ownership tax, which is basically a sales tax for cars. Mine was over $800 of the $1200 total for my Y LR, reduced somewhat by the trade-in value of my old S60.

It isn't widely known, but that money does not go to the state, it stays right here in the county and is divided up among the various taxing authorities. So, it supports the school districts, fire districts, library districts, the county, and so forth. (I became aware of this from serving on several district boards, over two decades, and from seventeen years of working at the assessor's office as a volunteer.)

Upvote 0
Just received my Colorado tax refund, and it looks like the $5k EV credit wasn't with the deposit, although it showed up on my Tax Form. Any ideas or experience with the credit?
Did you e-file you state form? If so, did you submit the "extra data" (copy of sales agreement, copy of registration) either by mail or electronically?

There was no way to attach these copies directly from Turbotax. If the state did not get the extra data, which they use to confirm the eligibility for the state tax credit, then ,maybe they adjusted your refund and paid what they thought they owed.

Reactions: Operator
Upvote 0
Did you e-file you state form? If so, did you submit the "extra data" (copy of sales agreement, copy of registration) either by mail or electronically?

There was no way to attach these copies directly from Turbotax. If the state did not get the extra data, which they use to confirm the eligibility for the state tax credit, then ,maybe they adjusted your refund and paid what they thought they owed.
What you described, sounds about right. I couldn't attach any additional docs. But the Fed paid out the $7500 without the same missing docs which is somewhat odd. I have since submitted a "Protest" with all the required information. Not sure the timeline on that process.

Upvote 0
What you described, sounds about right. I couldn't attach any additional docs. But the Fed paid out the $7500 without the same missing docs which is somewhat odd. I have since submitted a "Protest" with all the required information. Not sure the timeline on that process.
That sounds right too - the Fed get's the information from the form filed by Tesla. The state depends on the self reporting.

Go to DR 0617 - Innovative Motor Vehicle Credit & Innovative Truck Credit | Department of Revenue - Taxation , that will take you to form and instructions. Good luck

Upvote 0
That sounds right too - the Fed get's the information from the form filed by Tesla. The state depends on the self reporting.

Go to DR 0617 - Innovative Motor Vehicle Credit & Innovative Truck Credit | Department of Revenue - Taxation , that will take you to form and instructions. Good luck
That form was included in my Turbotax filing. But like you mentioned, my assumption is Colorado didn't get the MVPA, or my registration (oddly enough). So hopefully my documents get reviewed quickly, as I already earmarked those funds 😁

Upvote 0
In my county, Ouray, the largest portion of a new car registration is the specific ownership tax, which is basically a sales tax for cars. Mine was over $800 of the $1200 total for my Y LR, reduced somewhat by the trade-in value of my old S60.

I didn't realize the tax value is reduced by trade-in. So that is a little incentive to trade in for lower than I could get with a private sale.

Upvote 0