Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Colored Paint Protection Film - what's a reasonable price?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to get my Model Y protected with a color-infused Paint Protection Film by GSWF. Just the one PPF is applied, and it is orange instead of transparent. The cost of the PPF film is $1400 for a roll of 54 feet. I have been calling around, and most shops only do xpel, 3m, or flexieshield. One shop gave me a price quote of $9,000 and a second shop quoted me $7,700

Do you think these prices are reasonable and what is the reason for doubling in price over clear PPF?

I want to get my Model Y protected with a color-infused Paint Protection Film by GSWF. Just the one PPF is applied, and it is orange instead of transparent. The cost of the PPF film is $1400 for a roll of 54 feet. I have been calling around, and most shops only do xpel, 3m, or flexieshield. One shop gave me a price quote of $9,000 and a second shop quoted me $7,700

Do you think these prices are reasonable and what is the reason for doubling in price over clear PPF?
That seems a little expensive. I did 3M Gloss Storm Gray for $3,606 plus some windshield clearplex for $1,021 and ceramic tinting on windows and windshield adding up for the grand total of $5,169. I’m in Scottsdale AZ, not in FL but I hope this helps.

That seems a little expensive. I did 3M Gloss Storm Gray for $3,606 plus some windshield clearplex for $1,021 and ceramic tinting on windows and windshield adding up for the grand total of $5,169. I’m in Scottsdale AZ, not in FL but I hope this helps.
Sounds like you did a vinyl wrap, which is usually cheaper than PPF. I've never heard of color-infused PPF the OP is talking about.

OP, are the shops quoting you they will buy the roll for you? Or are you providing the roll? One issue I see is warranty/issues... does GSWF have certified installers? Is there a warranty for the film? If you have a non-certified installer install the film and it looks bad, who's fault is it... the film or the installer? The installer can say it's the film because they're not used to working with it (different films can have different properties and affect how they "feel" during installation).

Sounds like you did a vinyl wrap, which is usually cheaper than PPF. I've never heard of color-infused PPF the OP is talking about.

OP, are the shops quoting you they will buy the roll for you? Or are you providing the roll? One issue I see is warranty/issues... does GSWF have certified installers? Is there a warranty for the film? If you have a non-certified installer install the film and it looks bad, who's fault is it... the film or the installer? The installer can say it's the film because they're not used to working with it (different films can have different properties and affect how they "feel" during installation).
True. Thanks for clarifying. I have never heard of color infused PPF, which is why I assumed wrap. Good catch!

I just got a new quote from another shop for $4,995! I gues you really need to shop around
That seems a little low. Usually a full clear PPF will run $5k - $6k, at least in CA. Colored PPF is more expensive. So the $7,700+ cost sounds right.
Just remember, cheaper isn’t always better. You’re paying for the quality of the installer not just the PPF.

I just picked up my Y. Had GSWF Bahama Sea Breeze installed in SoCal. The price you were quoted is about right. There were only a few installers in my area that had the product so my options were limited. I had never heard of this brand before I did my research a few months ago, but I believe they manufacture other brands of PPF, including Suntek and 3M. I had some doubts about going bold and bright, but I'm very happy with the end result.

I just picked up my Y. Had GSWF Bahama Sea Breeze installed in SoCal. The price you were quoted is about right. There were only a few installers in my area that had the product so my options were limited. I had never heard of this brand before I did my research a few months ago, but I believe they manufacture other brands of PPF, including Suntek and 3M. I had some doubts about going bold and bright, but I'm very happy with the end result.
Screenshot_20220807-153041~2.png

Reactions: WyoDude
Looks good, yeah most places I asked here in Miami FL gave quotes around $3-5k for clear PPF. I could only find 3 that responded that do GSWF.
I’m in Miami also and looking to get my MYP done with clear ppf. I’m starting to call around Monday. I’ve heard good things about My Tesla Miami and EZDetailing.

My Tesla Miami

EZDetailing

Man, if you can find a shop that will do full body PPF for $3000 to $4000 that is a FANTASTIC price!

Alset Auto (a Tesla only detail shop) publishes their prices online and will charge about $6k for full PPF for a Model Y, color add on (they have GSWF and FlexiShield) carry about a $600 premium.

Two years ago I paid about $7500 for paint correction, full body PPF (clear), window tint, and ceramic coating. That same service would be about $8k, so there certainly has been some inflation cost or labor increase.

PPF is very labor intensive. I suspect they spend about 10 to 15 hours for each vehicle, often with two people to help apply the PPF. You also pay for what you get. Alset does such a good job that with clear film you can't even tell it's applied. I have to LOOK under the funk and stuff like that to see the PPF edge. They applied it incredibly well. I think $5k to $7k for clear PPF is a "fair" price to pay for high quality work (price range depends on market, middle of the US would be cheaper than SoCal for example). They're probably making a few grand profit on that of course, but if you've got a long weekend jump in your garage and wash the car extremely well, apply the PPF, cut to shape/size without damaging the paint, and save you're some huge bucks.

They're probably making a few grand profit on that of course, but if you've got a long weekend jump in your garage and wash the car extremely well, apply the PPF, cut to shape/size without damaging the paint, and save you're some huge bucks.
Cost to buy the full roll of GSWF PPF to do it myself would be $1,400 LOL but I'm not even going to try an attempt to apply it myself.
The color you got cost more than the Bright Orange Gloss, for the color vvroom got is $1,750.00 USD
Screen Shot 2022-08-07 at 8.54.51 PM.png

Last edited:
Cost to buy the full roll of GSWF PPF to do it myself would be $1,400 LOL but I'm not even going to try an attempt to apply it myself.
And that's why these shops can charge what they do. It's a huge amount of work between prep and applying it. My shop said they applied the rear twice (so wasted product) because they weren't happy with it the first time and there was a stretch mark. The apologized saying the second time was a little better but because of the curves there was still a stretch mark and if I wasn't happy I could bring it back and have it done a 3rd time for free and they would cut it into two parts and hide the cut right along the edge of the rear deck.... I couldn't notice a single mark on the back and I looked REALLY hard since they tipped me off... Again, you pay for what you get. I rather have a shop that's super hard on themselves to send out the best product around vs one that's undercutting everyone else but you see the edge peeling up etc.

Also, be sure to ask if the shop will at least do a one step (but I would push for two step) paint correction before applying any clear product. A lot will claim that the adhesive of the PPF will fill in any small swirl marks and you won't see them, but if you're spending that kind of money, they should clean and correct the surface to be perfect before applying the film. My guys did do a single step paint correction and while it looks great, it's not supercar mirror finish. I think if I had it done again I would ask about paying extra for that amazing deep polish to get the mirror concours look before applying the film... but I'm thinking of going stealth for my Performance Red. (Still going to ask if they'll do a one step paint correction though, the more flake that catches the light and shows through the better that stealth will look!)

I think the color ppf is more labor intensive since more parts need to be removed and all edges completely wrapped. My model 3 has XPEL stealth and some parts you can see the gloss, since it was not a perfect job. My Y is originally white and my installer said it was a challenge to ensure no white would show. He basically took the whole car apart. He also did the rear twice to get it perfect and also did the mirrors twice. He wasted lots of film and used 2 rolls. That is why they charge at least 2k more than for clear PPF.

When we got out Teslas PPFed, we paid $2500, but that was only the part of the car that would likely get buggy or have chip damage. In other words, the front bumper, hood, fenders in front of the wheels, and a little patch in front of the rear wheels. There is no reason to do more than these areas in my opinion. If you insist on full body PPF, you'll pay that kind of money, and the price of the job is mostly labor, not material, as you point out.

And that's why these shops can charge what they do. It's a huge amount of work between prep and applying it. My shop said they applied the rear twice (so wasted product) because they weren't happy with it the first time and there was a stretch mark. The apologized saying the second time was a little better but because of the curves there was still a stretch mark and if I wasn't happy I could bring it back and have it done a 3rd time for free and they would cut it into two parts and hide the cut right along the edge of the rear deck.... I couldn't notice a single mark on the back and I looked REALLY hard since they tipped me off... Again, you pay for what you get. I rather have a shop that's super hard on themselves to send out the best product around vs one that's undercutting everyone else but you see the edge peeling up etc.

Also, be sure to ask if the shop will at least do a one step (but I would push for two step) paint correction before applying any clear product. A lot will claim that the adhesive of the PPF will fill in any small swirl marks and you won't see them, but if you're spending that kind of money, they should clean and correct the surface to be perfect before applying the film. My guys did do a single step paint correction and while it looks great, it's not supercar mirror finish. I think if I had it done again I would ask about paying extra for that amazing deep polish to get the mirror concours look before applying the film... but I'm thinking of going stealth for my Performance Red. (Still going to ask if they'll do a one step paint correction though, the more flake that catches the light and shows through the better that stealth will look!)
A one-step paint correction is fine for new paint. Unless the paint has visible scratches or swirls, using a compounding step is just a waste of time. The mirror finish would be based on the PPF type and the coating; ceramic or not.
Not all PPF is created equal, Xpel seems to be the most used but actually has quite a bit of orange peel to it. Where STEK has a smoother finish.

I’m in Miami also and looking to get my MYP done with clear ppf. I’m starting to call around Monday. I’ve heard good things about My Tesla Miami and EZDetailing.

My Tesla Miami

EZDetailing
Im curious to read where you ended up getting your car PPFed, what you paid and what the overall experience was.