Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comfort Wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Folks! Still hoping to take delivery of a MYP in Feb/Mar 2023, and still obsessed with getting a tad more range and a tad more comfort. I do know about changing suspension components, but (for now) looking at tires and wheels. I came across RAYS Vesus Mode Forged (VMF) C-01 wheels i 19X8.5J (+38) with TOYO 255/45-19 tires. I admit I really like the looks of these wheels, but intrigued with their "Comfort and Quiet" claims. This is the first time I've ever invested in a rather pricey set of wheels, and don't know much about the mechanics and physics side ... can design really provide better comfort and noise suppression? Teach me, please. (or maybe convince me to spend money elsewhere)

RAYS VMF C-01

RAYS VMF C-01.jpg

I have! T SportLine is available in Japan, and a set of 18X8.5J wheels cost about the same as these RAYS. To be honest, I think the RAYS look nicer …

… and maybe quieter and more comfortable! 😉
Rays do look nice. I just thought the 18” size would have even more benefit for reducing road noise and adding comfort because you can add a tire with even more sidewall. However, if sporty feeling while going around curves is goal too, 18” will not be to your liking & 19”+ is better.

Reactions: charisjapan
Rays do look nice. I just thought the 18” size would have even more benefit for reducing road noise and adding comfort because you can add a tire with even more sidewall. However, if sporty feeling while going around curves is goal too, 18” will not be to your liking & 19”+ is better.
Yeah, @ElectricAnt54, I've been reading a lot of good things about T SportLine's 18" wheels, but 19" is where I decide to draw the line. I love the look of 21" or even 22" rims with super-low-profile tires, but daily-driver reality (my wife drives about half of our kilometers) makes me want a bit more cush. Some of the back roads out of town that I like to meander are rough, and the chance of ruining an expensive tire and/or rim tells me to get some rubber. My days of lateral acceleration at the limit of adhesion are (almost) gone. That said, four parches of 255mm wide rubber on a low-c.g. vehicle is still pretty capable ... I just want to be a bit more comfortable.

Just had a Senior Memory ... 195/70R on a 15X5.5JJ was "Low-Profile" "High Performance" and "Super-Wide" !! And after upgrading to these from the bias-ply tires I had on my Crown, I thought the ride was a bit harsh ... LoL ;)

I went with flow forged 19s, was about 1700 for the set, weight around 25 lbs.
At today's ¥en-US$ rate, these wheels are about $2,100, and weigh about 24 lbs. And though I've been searching, I still don't really know what "Mode Forged" means. "Versus" is RAYS dress-up line of wheels, and these are the flagship. Seems the "Quiet and Comfort" comes from a thickened rim lip ... which kind of adds weight. Not sure I fully understand the technical side of that?

RAYS has some very pretty GramLights that are cast aluminum, at appreciably less cost. They are still very strong wheels, and weigh about 22 lbs.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
At today's ¥en-US$ rate, these wheels are about $2,100, and weigh about 24 lbs. And though I've been searching, I still don't really know what "Mode Forged" means. "Versus" is RAYS dress-up line of wheels, and these are the flagship. Seems the "Quiet and Comfort" comes from a thickened rim lip ... which kind of adds weight. Not sure I fully understand the technical side of that?

RAYS has some very pretty GramLights that are cast aluminum, at appreciably less cost. They are still very strong wheels, and weigh about 22 lbs.
Mode Forged probably similar to Flow forged. TRUE forged are like 1600 EACH.

Reactions: charisjapan
Mode Forged probably similar to Flow forged. TRUE forged are like 1600 EACH.
You could be right about Mode Forged ... but though these have been in production for a few years, I can't find a lot of information about the process. However, lots of good reviews ... mostly about how they look. Only a few comments regarding "quiet and comfortable," but not surprised that looks are a priority. :cool:

Anyone, comments about how a sufficiently strong wheel could also contribute to comfort?

Cheers!

I would make sure they are strong enough. We have managed to bend Rays and Advan wheels so far with the Model 3.
Hey, MP, thanks for the comment. I've read a LOT of your posts, and trust your input. Can you elaborate a bit? RAYS has been around a while, and their reputation in Japan is top-notch. Their racing exploits are well-known, and street-use credentials are highly regarded. But I admit that Japan's typical drivers are a bit less aggressive. I guess I'm not that typical, as I managed to bend a rear OEM rim on my Model 3, lol. In my case, I was somewhat "over-enjoying" the low-c.g. handling on a rough road. So I have to ask, was your experience with RAYS and ADVAN wheels due to (ahem) abuse and/or track-use, or daily driving? After paying nearly $1,000 to replace one rim, I'm trying to take my driving habits down a notch. ;) Because tire shops are held responsible for selling wheels that meet spec for inspection, the only choices I have for wheels are RAYS and T SportLine. ENKEI, Weds, and WORK have all chickened out, saying, "We have no data for Tesla cars." As I said before, I like the RAYS offerings better. Appreciate your help!

Btw, I am seriously looking at your suspension offerings!! I asked Tesla Service, and they had no problems with tweaking suspension, as long as it was not "too high or too low." Hahaha. I would only want to raise my Performance to standard LR height.

Cheers!