Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

commoditization and perfection of the automobile..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I was throwing my car around some turns at some speed, I was thinking about what an amazing driving experience the M3 is. As more and more people get to experience what incredible acceleration is like in an average car, being able to drive almost on rails through the turns, an interface that will just get more and more natural and better with time, is it possible that the automobile is reaching some sort of perfection.
Thinking about how mobile phones have developed, the model S was kind of like the introduction of the iphone. Today though any cell phone is amazing, screens of such high quality only our own biology is a limitation. Processing power that's really amazing. It's ever harder for a phone to stand out and nobody really gets that excited about the latest iphone or Samsung as they struggle to make meaningful improvements. Cell phones have just become a commodity for better or worse.
Could the same thing happen with cars as they move to electric? With 0-60 times in super car territory already, better handling than many sports cars and only top speed (which is irrelevant for normal daily drivers) maybe a slight limitation, a self driving option that is already amazing, once all cars catch up to Tesla cars will become more like cell phones than they already are.
Of course just like cell phones it is the battery that remains the truly difficult thing to drastically revolutionise.

Reactions: electricar