Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone 15 and Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just changed to my new iPhone 15 - there were some reports of overheating and the charging/apple pay stopped after doing wireless charging (Tesla chargepad) with iphone 15, I thought I’ll update since changed to 15.

It is been 1 week and I have the new iOS version 17.1.1 - bug fixed for charging issues.

Though even before that I did not encounter any issues with charging but did not charge that much as there was no need as the charge remained around 70% after work or around 50% if I charge it upto 80% set up.

The BT works without any issue, though I had to reset the phone once. I thought I had to set up the phone as a device again as this is a new hardware but the phone worked without setting it up as a key - I did not change the name of my current phone.

All the music apps works fine - just apple watch hand shake with iphone 15 is slightly different when it comes to spotify as I have to press the play button for the music to start - will reset the watch and see.

The call quality is amazing when it is connected to Tesla - this may be phone related, it is crystal clear even when making international calls. I heard carwow Matt mentioning about the highland that come with two microphones slightly closer to the driver and the clarity if offers when making phone calls. Waiiting to see how good it will be with the new iphone 15.

Though I have seen lots of posts on this forum about Tesla not using carplay, I think they don’t need to. It is a very simple process moving from one device to another (Thanks Apple and even Google if you move from Android) and Tesla works great with any change of devices and that is very important for lots of customers who don’t want to spend another hour figuring out how to configure the phone. Yes we may miss the amazing google or Apple maps without car play but I think Tesla display does more than enough to guide you.

Finally I felt it was so easy to switch devices when Teslas ecosystem depends more on the phone, though Apple and Tesla have their own walls to protect their intellectual propriety rights - it still works with minimal fuss. I’ll wait and see how this works when I change my current Model 3 to highland.

Last edited:
Yeah it didn't knacker the phone but NFC stopped working completely. People were taking their phones in to Apple stores and ultimately getting replacement phones since they couldn't be "fixed".

One presumes the NFC failure was some kind of failsafe where it doesn't work again unless reset in software, something Apple techs in stores had no access to do. 17.1.1 - I presume - disables NFC while wireless charging, which sortof makes sense anyway.

Reactions: spdpsba
I just moved from Android (Samsung Note 20 Ultra) to Apple (15 Pro Max). Adding the new phone as a key was as simple as installing the Tesla app and logging in. Didn't even have to go to the car or set anything up on the screen. I just logged into the app on my new phone & it automatically set it to my driver profile and worked flawlessly as a key when I walked up to the car. I was quite surprised to be honest.

Also, the Spotify/Tesla integration works much better on iPhone than Android. I only use Spotify for music & quite often listen to music while walking to and from my car. When taking out my earbuds & getting into the car, the music continues from where my phone left off & keeps playing the same playlist. On Android it didn't, and behaved as two separate disconnected instances (same account login).

The shortcut button is really handy too. I've set up a dual-function shortcut so if I long press the button with the phone upright it opens the boot. If I turn the phone upside down, it opens the charge port.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
I've noticed that my car shows up with a key icon under Bluetooth on the phone, which suggests Tesla is integrating with Apple's Car Key system. That would explain why you don't have to do the whole keycard authentication thing anymore, at least on (current?) iPhones.

Like you when I got my 15 Pro Max I added it as a Phone Key with just a button tap, didn't have to use my keycard or anything.

That dual function shortcut thing sounds genius! I'd probably do the same except for the fact that I occasionally absent mindly press the action button thinking it's volume up, which would mean I'd open the boot or something without intending to.

That dual function shortcut thing sounds genius! I'd probably do the same except for the fact that I occasionally absent mindly press the action button thinking it's volume up, which would mean I'd open the boot or something without intending to.
Yes, you do need to be a bit careful with it, as it doesn't need you to be near the car & will work from anywhere...

Hi I have an iPhone 15 Plus and have a 2022 M3LR with the Tesla wireless charging pad. I previously had the iPhone 13 Pro Max and it was charging fine no problems with it. With the iPhone 15 I noticed that it charges for maybe 5-10 seconds before disconnecting and it is really frustrating. I did the scroll wheel reset to see if that could fix it but did not. I took it to an Apple store and they tried it on their wireless charging and it works fine. Even at home I have a wireless charger and it works fine there.

Recently Apple released an update iOS 17.2 that addresses the bug fix of iPhones not charging on wireless pads but since upgrading, it did not make any difference.

Does anyone have a fix for this? Is there a wireless pad that you can get on top of the Tesla one?

Thanks

Hi I have an iPhone 15 Plus and have a 2022 M3LR with the Tesla wireless charging pad. I previously had the iPhone 13 Pro Max and it was charging fine no problems with it. With the iPhone 15 I noticed that it charges for maybe 5-10 seconds before disconnecting and it is really frustrating. I did the scroll wheel reset to see if that could fix it but did not. I took it to an Apple store and they tried it on their wireless charging and it works fine. Even at home I have a wireless charger and it works fine there.

Recently Apple released an update iOS 17.2 that addresses the bug fix of iPhones not charging on wireless pads but since upgrading, it did not make any difference.

Does anyone have a fix for this? Is there a wireless pad that you can get on top of the Tesla one?

Thanks
Did you reset the phone? And can you try another phone now and see whether that charges? My iphone 15 charges without any issue. Is it the size of the phone the issue? But your previous one was Pro max.

Rule out the issue by trying another phone that may give you some idea about whether it is the car or the phone.

Did you reset the phone? And can you try another phone now and see whether that charges? My iphone 15 charges without any issue. Is it the size of the phone the issue? But your previous one was Pro max.

Rule out the issue by trying another phone that may give you some idea about whether it is the car or the phone.
I reset the phone and still same problem. My wifes iPhone 13 works perfectly. Tried it on both spots the drivers and passengers and works fine. It could just be a defect in the phone