Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Company fleet insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picking up my model 3 (company car) tomorrow and so I enquirer with our insurance broker about adding it to our Company fleet policy (Aviva). He told me that it could not just be added as you would with an ICE vehicle as the model 3 has apparently been known to catch fire when involved in an accident, and battery has to be soaked in water for 4 days to properly put out. He also said that they can only insure if pin to drive, sentry mode and vehicle tracking are enabled. Anybody else have to jump through hoops like this to insure their car?

Picking up my model 3 (company car) tomorrow and so I enquirer with our insurance broker about adding it to our Company fleet policy (Aviva). He told me that it could not just be added as you would with an ICE vehicle as the model 3 has apparently been known to catch fire when involved in an accident, and battery has to be soaked in water for 4 days to properly put out. He also said that they can only insure if pin to drive, sentry mode and vehicle tracking are enabled. Anybody else have to jump through hoops like this to insure their car?

Well, given the delight that the press takes in reporting electric car fires it's surprising I haven't read anything lately ... the above claptrap smacks of simple ignorance! Has anybody had their M3 stolen lately? We've had posts about every other tragic circumstance that can befall a vehicle so it's surprising that we haven't heard anything about fires or thefts.

Tracking can't really be disabled as far as I know so that is nonsense. Sentry can't really be used all the time and no other make has it so it's bizarre to make it mandatory. Pin to drive actually makes a lot of sense. And the fire thing.. sigh.

Had similar issues with Aviva, M3P now only drivers over 30, enable pin to drive, Sentry mode on at all times (don't see the point if its nicked, they'd have the bloody flash drive?!) have to name them all too and current 'convictions'.. stupidly high excess... will be moving the policy come renewal!

Some of the other cars on the policy arguably more 'nickable' eg, got a new X5 M50D on there - it's half the cost any anyone over 20 can drive it - don't need to name them. Keyless entry too. Think these guys are on another planet. Hopefully when more fleet based m3s hit the road over the next few months a few other options will open up.

Although they did also say if we didn't already have an existing policy they wouldn't enter 'entertain' to ensure it!

The whole 'Teslas catch on fire more than ICE cars' is nonsense. It's annoying that insurers are even using this 'information' when adding cars to policies.

The stats show that Teslas are actually far less likely to catch on fire than ICE cars. Forget the ratio of EVs to ICE cars on the streets and base it on billions of miles traveled:

For every billion miles traveled there are approx 5 Tesla fires.
For every billion miles traveled there are approx 55 ICE fires.

Tesla is new tech, so naturally every Tesla fire or accident is going to be reported in the media where it wouldn't be for ICE cars. That's why they get this false reputation for catching on fire.

Fleet insurance is a little more strict than normal insurance though (or often has more conditions lets say), so not overly surprised you have to jump through hoops and ensure PIN to drive is on etc. The company EVEZY who essentially 'rent' you a Tesla Model 3 on a month to month basis actually have all their cars on a massive fleet insurance policy, that's how they are able to offer the insurance within the monthly cost. Apparently a condition of their insurance is that a separate dashcam is fitted and turned on within the car at all times, despite the M3 having built in dashcam features.