Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Compete with Taycan on Nurburgring?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taycan turbo s has a price tag 180k + Porsche options. So in reality it’s a direct compete with roadster. Everything of roadster is definitely stronger, 0-60, 0-124, vmax, range, except one thing unclear: Nordschleife lap time.

Taycan’s lap time 7:42 is not that fast compared to ICE cars. However I’m still wondering if roadster (non-spacex) could beat that. More probable Tesla will never bother doing that test and we will never know the answer.

• Funny
Reactions: CarlK and Big Earl
Taycan turbo s has a price tag 180k + Porsche options. So in reality it’s a direct compete with roadster. Everything of roadster is definitely stronger, 0-60, 0-124, vmax, range, except one thing unclear: Nordschleife lap time.

Taycan’s lap time 7:42 is not that fast compared to ICE cars. However I’m still wondering if roadster (non-spacex) could beat that. More probable Tesla will never bother doing that test and we will never know the answer.
I think Tesla WILL do that test. Roadster will wipe the Taycan off the map IMO. It will probably weigh the same or less than the porky Taycan. And the power levels are much higher. If they test one with the cold air thrusters it will also have higher cornering speeds.
Elon wants to make sure the Roadster beats all ICE competition and the Taycan is worse than a 911 turbo S on the ring.

Direct? Sedan vs. high performance sports coupe? Just because it's 180K+?

I don't see how one could put the Roadster 2.0 in the same class Taycan. For one, they aren't the same type of car. Additionally, we have only paper specs and promises from Tesla to compare with pre-production examples from Porsche. Neither are reality.

8A02A6BB-C071-4407-892B-669111FFA49D.png

Off the model, but...here it happens!

Can't wait for this- II'l believe it when I see it. Wow, what an idea- upgraded tyres, brakes? Or "as is"? Good on you Elon- have a crack :)
I would have thought the Taycan would be a minute in front of the Model S, just as a guess??

Taycan was designed by Porsche. They have a long heritage of racing vehicles and their street cars also tend to do well on the tracks.

Will be interesting to see what Tesla can do, with their latest Raven technology and E series battery.

Tesla has their own internal data on just what a Model S can do on the track. They will use this knowledge to get that car around the Ring in as speedy and efficient way possible.

Imaging the Porsche engineers and marketing people will be chewing their nails until this upcoming stint on the Ring is over.

I predict that Tesla will do quite well...better than most would expect.

Reactions: RabidYak and wenkan
Taycan was designed by Porsche. They have a long heritage of racing vehicles and their street cars also tend to do well on the tracks.

Will be interesting to see what Tesla can do, with their latest Raven technology and E series battery.

Tesla has their own internal data on just what a Model S can do on the track. They will use this knowledge to get that car around the Ring in as speedy and efficient way possible.

Imaging the Porsche engineers and marketing people will be chewing their nails until this upcoming stint on the Ring is over.

I predict that Tesla will do quite well...better than most would expect.
Don't forget track mode. I think it debuts on the performance S next week.

• Informative
Reactions: wenkan and RabidYak
Am I the only one to have had the new P100DL on the ring? There must be others on here....

Date stamp this $hit boys:

1) The Model S will best the Porsche Taycan's record of 7:42.
2) The Model S will beat the Ferrari Enzo's current time.
3) The P100D will become the fastest 4 door sedan (ICE and BEV) to ever run the ring by beating the purpose built "ringer" in the Jaguar XE SV 8.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
Cory151, I like your confidence. Looking forward to the lap(s)!!
Am I the only one to have had the new P100DL on the ring? There must be others on here....

3) The P100D will become the fastest 4 door sedan (ICE and BEV) to ever run the ring by beating the purpose built "ringer" in the Jaguar XE SV 8.

Reactions: RabidYak

Bold prediction, but ultimately will not age well. Model S will certainly not beat the Taycan time of 7:42. I would be surprised if it we see better than 8:30, especially if they do not have reserved time.

• Funny
Reactions: callmesam
You can’t really get a time during tourist hours, and you can’t film on manufacturer days (if you even have time booked) except for an extra-cost narrow time window at the end of the day, basically one shot at it.
Everybody who’s tried to track a P Tesla overheats it within the first 90 seconds or so. Fine if you are trying for a time at Lime Rock or Willow Springs, but not the Ring.
I’d love to see some new tech that produces P levels of power but doesn’t overheat (like a monster PM motor) but that’s hardly production tech in today’s Tesla.

Reactions: St Charles
You can’t really get a time during tourist hours, and you can’t film on manufacturer days (if you even have time booked) except for an extra-cost narrow time window at the end of the day, basically one shot at it.
Everybody who’s tried to track a P Tesla overheats it within the first 90 seconds or so. Fine if you are trying for a time at Lime Rock or Willow Springs, but not the Ring.
I’d love to see some new tech that produces P levels of power but doesn’t overheat (like a monster PM motor) but that’s hardly production tech in today’s Tesla.
There will be a track day on the Ring on Monday. One of their instructors posted a picture of the model S test car on Instagram right after Elon’s tweet. I assume they will squeeze between the sessions to do a demo lap. Not sure if this can be considered official record, but nowadays onboard video is everything.

I'll make a bold prediction of my own. Model S time will disappoint and many will perform mental gymnastics on how the results were not comparable or fair.
You do realize the tech in your car is not the tech they will be running this week?
As I have said before: Elon would have already had the team simulate the runs with track mode on the raven tech, with adaptable suspension. He knows they can beat the time, or he would not have sent the tweet.

You do realize the tech in your car is not the tech they will be running this week?
As I have said before: Elon would have already had the team simulate the runs with track mode on the raven tech,
with adaptable suspension. He knows they can beat the time, or he would not have sent the tweet.
I can't wait... It will be between

and

Prepare the popcorn!