Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Complaints about sound system moved from Investor Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

madodel

X at the end of a rainbow
Supporting Member
One of the many pleasures of Tesla ownership is updates, even after 4 years, you never tire of it and sometimes they're totally awesome...

Tesla is planning a major navigation update ‘light-years ahead’ of current system, says Elon Musk

For months now, we have been reporting on Tesla’s new map and navigation modules that they are testing for an upcoming overhaul of their system.

Today, CEO Elon Musk acknowledged the update, which he hyped as “light-years ahead of the current system.”
That sounds great, but I wish they'd fix the audio system. I'm getting tired of the Loading Errors on both streaming and USB media. I had hoped the upgrade to Linux would fix it, but it is worse. Sporadically it shows entire albums of songs on my USB media as missing/blank, but they play fine on my Macbook, and reappear and disappear on the Tesla with no rhyme or reason. I've heard the streaming problems were related to the proxy they use, but that shouldn't screw with the USB. But a more usable mapping solution would be a great help.

That sounds great, but I wish they'd fix the audio system. I'm getting tired of the Loading Errors on both streaming and USB media. I had hoped the upgrade to Linux would fix it, but it is worse. Sporadically it shows entire albums of songs on my USB media as missing/blank, but they play fine on my Macbook, and reappear and disappear on the Tesla with no rhyme or reason. I've heard the streaming problems were related to the proxy they use, but that shouldn't screw with the USB. But a more usable mapping solution would be a great help.

Yeah, the audio system needs some updates. From my experience:
- add ALAC decoding
- enable gapless playback
- add FLAC 5.1 decoding

I don’t get loading errors.

• Helpful
  • Love
Reactions: neroden and Rarity
Yeah, the audio system needs some updates. From my experience:
- add ALAC decoding
- enable gapless playback
- add FLAC 5.1 decoding

I don’t get loading errors.
The massive (half-hour plus) delays on plugging in large USB sticks (>128 GB) are also a major problem -- one which has prevented me from updating for about two years, since it's a critical feature for me (I have a very large collection of very obscure music). I'm assuming this critical issue is still broken since I'd read about it in the forums if they'd fixed it -- many people have complained about this critical bug. I personally have reported this bug twice and the gapless playback bug four times.

Tesla's system for bug tracking, regression tracking, and bug fixing is NONEXISTENT. It's actually terrible.

• Love
Reactions: aubreymcfato
Those, who do not believe the sentence bolded above should study the following page and draw some conclusions:
15 Insane Things That Correlate With Each Other
Of course, most of these actually demonstrate something. Usually joint causation. In most of the cases on that page, the lurking variable is either increased population or the passage of time (obviously, any two long time-based trends will correlate with each other, so over the right time period, the decline in cigarette smoking correlates with the rise in cellphone usage). In a couple of cases, it's how well the economy is doing (note the Japanese passenger cars sold / suicide by crashing).

I think the only ones which are pure coincidence are the last two.

Reactions: aubreymcfato
Is the lack of gapless playback actually a bug? Or is it just a missing feature? (Has it ever worked? Has Tesla said that they support gapless playback?)

It's never worked, but it has been a standard feature of CD players (specified in the Redbook), tape decks, vinyl, and is present on all good audio players... basically, any system without gapless playback isn't even trying. I have stated that Tesla's audio system is objectively worse than a tape deck, and it is, because of this. It's *pathetic*.

Gapless playback of digital audio is a bit trickier than you might expect, though in something like a Tesla it shouldn't be hard, as it has CPU to spare when it comes to audio (if nothing else).

At least as long as you're using a format that is either lossless or has metadata telling you how much silence is in the open/ending of the track that needs removal. MP3 makes this tricky as there's no way to know precisely how much gap should be removed, in addition to all the other potential issues with gapless playback.