Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Complicated install, lack of clear info from Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Best of luck on your inspection.

Can I ask if Tesla is coordinating the inspection? We need our final inspection and have talked to the Tesla project coordinator, but not heard anything from the Tesla inspection team. This team is supposed to arrange for the inspection and walk the city inspector through the inspection.

Thanks. At this point with just the main panel this is all on us and our electrician. Tesla did ask if when done if we would update them with new photos of the main panel and the Model number so they can be up on it when they go back to the City to revise our solar permit (from 2 PW to 3) and make any other equipment adjustments before scheduling us for the solar/PW install. Don't recall discussing with Tesla how they will do the inspection since we are still waiting for the install date. Is your city inspector working right now or is their office still closed? I'm not sure our City is giving the go ahead on solar installs yet, that may not happen until end of May but hope sooner. At least the permit office is accepting permits again.

@roofsolartexas, I suspect the pricing is due to the fact that everyone makes solar panels and offers deals on them (PW being an incentive to go with Tesla) and the solar roof tiles are new and production on v3 only started recently so not much inventory built up yet so no incentive offered on the PWs there.

Last edited:
Thanks. At this point with just the main panel this is all on us and our electrician. Tesla did ask if when done if we would update them with new photos of the main panel and the Model number so they can be up on it when they go back to the City to revise our solar permit (from 2 PW to 3) and make any other equipment adjustments before scheduling us for the solar/PW install. Don't recall discussing with Tesla how they will do the inspection since we are still waiting for the install date. Is your city inspector working right now or is their office still closed? I'm not sure our City is giving the go ahead on solar installs yet, that may not happen until end of May but hope sooner. At least the permit office is accepting permits again.

Thanks for the info.

According to our city inspection department website they are back at work. Call in the morning for inspection that day!
We have all permits and they signed off on the mid-project inspection. Construction is complete and the system is running great (8+ KW in early May, PWs filled by 1 PM) when we test it. We just lack the final inspection from the city and PTO from PG&E. So close, but yet so far.

Reactions: SMAlset
Crazyrabbit, you will have to call and email. Most emails don't get responses, so call. They tried to tell me all I could get was 4.3 KWH for my roof, I said no way, I need more than that. They said I couldn't with my design, I asked what the problem was and they told me I had vents in the way. I told them I will move or remove them, if that was the problem. I can't change this in the future, I need to max it out right now. This isn't like solar panels where I can ad more. Since I'm switching to electric appliances, I'm eliminating two flues from the roof and relocating a bathroom plumbing vent further up the roof. I'm going to be around 5.2-5.5 KWH.

Ask lots of questions. I'm not thrilled with the consulting. They just send you a design and expect you to sign it with out any further consultation, with no regard for you needs or plans for the future. For example, I'm switching from gas to electric, I may purchase an electric car in the future, get a jacuzzi, etc. They size it based on your current energy usage and your available roof space.

It wasn't easy to find literature, even with all my questions being ask, they couldn't point me in the right direction. I'm glad I came here and asked, or I'd still be in the dark not knowing.

Whoa, do NOT move ANY roof plumbing vents--get RID OF THEM entirely.

We have a newer home in AZ with almost zero roof penetrations. Further research reveals that they are no longer needed, which is a very, very good thing as they are a prime source of roof leaks, and they get in the way of many solar installations. The plumbing vent issues are now resolved with these, and there are many brands:

https://www.amazon.com/Oatey-39012-...1ASKYBFCEKY&psc=1&refRID=NJ9BHEEJ81ASKYBFCEKY

Just install these in your attic and roof stacks are finally GONE!