Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Concern about rotors rusting as I live near the ocean

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In normal use such as using the friction brakes when backing up the rotors will be cleaned of any surface rust. If the roads in Maine are treated with road salt or brine solution in winter then you should have the brakes serviced annually. The pins in the brake calipers need to be cleaned, lubricated annually if the roads are treated with salt in winter.

Upvote 0
In normal use such as using the friction brakes when backing up the rotors will be cleaned of any surface rust. If the roads in Maine are treated with road salt or brine solution in winter then you should have the brakes serviced annually. The pins in the brake calipers need to be cleaned, lubricated annually if the roads are treated with salt in winter.
Good advice. Appreciate the advice.

Upvote 0
I live on the ocean in Maine and almost exclusively use regenerative breaking on my brand new 2023 MY. Should I be concerned about the rotors rusting? Should I apply brakes every so often? I charge to 80%.
I own a Model S, and from time to time, I adjust the regen setting from standard to low. This forces the car to use more physical brake action than regen. I'm not sure if this can be done on the Model Y.

The rotors will definitely rust faster than normal ICE cars since it's not used as often, and when it's used, the temperature isn't enough to clear the rust out. I just recommend from time to time to spray brake cleaner on the rotors so it can clean it out. Do it more often too during the winter months, especially after the roads is treated with whatever salt or sand they throw on the roads.

Upvote 0
The current Tesla software has a setting under Pedals and Steering that will automatically apply the friction brakes whenever regenerative braking is reduced or unavailable. In winter there is no sense of reduced regenerative braking as was the case in the past in Tesla vehicles. Also, the brake rotors will get a workout.

Upvote 0
The current Tesla software has a setting under Pedals and Steering that will automatically apply the friction brakes whenever regenerative braking is reduced or unavailable. In winter there is no sense of reduced regenerative braking as was the case in the past in Tesla vehicles. Also, the brake rotors will get a workout.
I have a relatively new Tesla, 2018. which version are you referring to? My brakes still get rusted during the winter badly. It failed inspection a few times because of the rotors. That's how I know.

Upvote 0
I have a relatively new Tesla, 2018. which version are you referring to? My brakes still get rusted during the winter badly. It failed inspection a few times because of the rotors. That's how I know.
It is listed under 2022.40.1

Regenerative Braking

Your vehicle can now automatically apply regular brakes for consistent deceleration when regenerative braking is limited due to battery temperature or state of charge. To enable, tap Controls > Pedals & Steering > Apply Brakes When Regenerative Braking Is Limited.

Editor's note: This feature has been added to additional regions and vehicles.

Applicable in the US for Tesla Models S,3,X,Y

2022.40.1 Official Tesla Release Notes - Software Updates

Upvote 0
It is listed under 2022.40.1

Regenerative Braking

Your vehicle can now automatically apply regular brakes for consistent deceleration when regenerative braking is limited due to battery temperature or state of charge. To enable, tap Controls > Pedals & Steering > Apply Brakes When Regenerative Braking Is Limited.

Editor's note: This feature has been added to additional regions and vehicles.

Applicable in the US for Tesla Models S,3,X,Y

2022.40.1 Official Tesla Release Notes - Software Updates
Interesting, probably not working as effectively as the software update indicates.

Also, this is the same as regenerative "low" mode and "standard". How so? It's an automatic version of it.

Upvote 0
Interesting, probably not working as effectively as the software update indicates.

Also, this is the same as regenerative "low" mode and "standard". How so? It's an automatic version of it.
The objective is that when the battery is cold or has too much charge instead of reduced or no regenerative braking (vehicle does not slow as expected when you start to release pressure from the accelerator pedal) the vehicle slows in a predictable manner. When you enable the blended friction braking the braking is seamless and the vehicle slows at the same rate at different temperatures and battery state of charge.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I don’t know about these buttons. Are they self installed or SC installed? How much do they cost?
S3XY Buttons

They are an aftermarket product. Easy to install. Four buttons cost about $240 but they periodically go on sale for less than $200. They come with a CAN bus interface and an OBD2 reader that interfaces with: the CAN bus, the buttons, and an app so the price is not outrageous. They also let you use an old phone or tablet as a dashboard.

They add other neat features. For example they can automatically switch from chill to sport when you floor the accelerator. Or they can open the frunk when you hold the driver door handle open for several seconds.

I got them to make it easy to keep my headlights on. You'd think this would be trivial but Tesla made it a pain in the neck even though they advise it is often best for safety.

Upvote 0
Great explanation. Thank you for your time.
When I was buying my car I got tremendous help and support in this massive thread:

I now realize that was not typical but I still try to pay it back/forward.

Upvote 0