Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging has become more expensive than Supercharging at night. Should I still charge at home?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will remember to pre condition the battery before the occasional Supercharging.
Well, that probably isn't what you think it is, because Tesla confusingly use the exact same term for two different things. There isn't just a button you can push to prepare the car for Supercharging. What would happen is that if you put the Supercharger into your navigation as the destination and are driving to it, THAT is the thing where the car will decide to really preheat the battery for Supercharging.

If you are thinking of the button you see in the app climate controls that says preconditioning, that is just prewarming the cabin, and it will also as a side effect if the battery is really really cold, warm it up to just above freezing. That isn't really preparing it for Supercharging.

So in other words, this isn't really something you need to remember to do, because it isn't something you can do, other than using navigation, which you probably would anyway.

Thank you for pointing that out. Given how close the station is to my home, it seems like I will need to enter the supercharging address in navigation and wait 30 minutes in the garage before actually driving it. I will see if I can just leave the door open and get back to the house during that time.

Reactions: GSP
Seems like a waste of time. The car will charge if not pre-conditioned, it just will not charge as fast until it warms up. I suggest you are overthinking this.

The OP is trying to save like 10 bucks a month by going to a Supercharger instead of charging at home. I think they just really enjoy optimizing things even when they know they're clearly overthinking.

The OP is trying to save like 10 bucks a month by going to a Supercharger instead of charging at home. I think they just really enjoy optimizing things even when they know they're clearly overthinking.
Which makes pre-heating all the more silly since they would be using power to heat the battery, which of course they will pay for anyway. All pre-heating really does is allow the car to charge quicker to shorten time required at a Supercharger. ;)

Which makes pre-heating all the more silly since they would be using power to heat the battery, which of course they will pay for anyway. All pre-heating really does is allow the car to charge quicker to shorten time required at a Supercharger. ;)
Pre-heating only reduces battery degration, but yeah the OP would have to pay for this :)

Reactions: GSP and Kelculate
Pre-heating only reduces battery degration, but yeah the OP would have to pay for this :)
Perhaps indirectly, but this is not why Tesla recommends pre-conditioning. From the Model Y manual:

NOTE: When navigating to a Supercharger (or third-
party fast charger in some regions), Model Y
preconditions the Battery to prepare for charging.
This ensures you arrive with an optimal Battery
temperature, reducing the amount of time it takes to
charge.

Thanks for pointing out the cost of pre conditioning the battery. Fortunately for me I live in a warm climate and I park my car in a garage. But it is still a factor to consider if my only objective is to minimize cost.

Tesla never mentions anything to the customers that lower state of charge reduces battery aging either, but as I learned in this forum from the battery experts, it can make a significant difference.

We have two teslas and always charge at home during the day because we have a large solar system with a back up battery system. This is the best way if you have that setup I think. We charge one at a time of course. We do charge at night if we have bad weather for over 6 days in a row. We have found just one day of sunshine with our solar system can charge both cars because we keep them above 50%.