Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Concerned Battery Degradation Raven MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need some advice about the amount of battery degradation my 2019 Raven MX 100D has experienced. I have tried to do a search but I can’t get a straight answer. I took delivery in the beginning of June last year. I have approximately 12k miles on it. I charge it almost exclusively at home level 2 charger usually to 75% every night. I may have used a SC about 10 times total. I have since then had my max range at 100% SOC drop from 325 to 309 miles. So in other word my battery has experienced between 5-6% degradation in about 9 months and 12K miles. Is that within normal expectations? I live in Michigan so taking it to a service center out of state is a whole day ordeal. Would be great if I could speak to someone at the SC and see if they could run an OTA diagnostic but speaking to a service tech let alone a human is nearly impossible. I have included a Battery report from Teslafi. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.

698E9D83-9DB4-448C-8194-C3F6121D81FD.png

What software version were you running at the time when you were showing about a 322 mile range, just before it dipped down to about 315 miles of range? And what version were you at after that dip? I saw a dip last September on my September 2017 X100D. I was getting about 294 miles of range on 2019.32 before applying 2019.32.1. It dropped down to 286 miles of range briefly with 2019.32.1 before coming back up to 290 or so in 2019.32.2.2. It's slid down a bit since then. Pretty sure these observations were a result in Tesla firmware updates changing how it calculates range and not an actual battery problem. My TeslaFi charge is attached for reference.
FusionCharts.jpg

Just saw the new TeslaFi beta battery report which compares your personal battery range experience with the TeslaFi fleet as a whole. It shows several fleet wide drops in the last six months or so, including one aligned with 2019.32.1 which affected me. I think this pretty much confirms a firmware change as the source of the range change.
FusionCharts (1).jpg

Just saw the new TeslaFi beta battery report which compares your personal battery range experience with the TeslaFi fleet as a whole. It shows several fleet wide drops in the last six months or so, including one aligned with 2019.32.1 which affected me. I think this pretty much confirms a firmware change as the source of the range change. View attachment 516763
I had the drop occur when upgrading from Firmware 32.2 to 32.11. So I ran the Teslafi beta battery report and my MX battery seems to be experiencing significantly more battery degradation than the fleet average don't you think?

IMG_0998.PNG

Folks have had issues on the 3 when charging consistently to 70 percent. Try charging to 90 for a couple weeks and/or 100 percent for couple days in a row.
To be clear - your situation appears related to balancing, not degradation

Folks have had issues on the 3 when charging consistently to 70 percent. Try charging to 90 for a couple weeks and/or 100 percent for couple days in a row.
To be clear - your situation appears related to balancing, not degradation
Thanks for the tip on balancing. I had read a post on this on a facebook group recently and performed the suggested actions. Namely, discharge the battery to <= 20% or so, and then complete a full charge to >= 90% and leave it connected upon charge completion for a period of time. In my case, I charged @ 48A at home overnight to 90 or 95% (don't recall exactly) and didn't unplug until mid-day the next day (did this on a weekend). Didn't notice any improvement in my calculated range after doing this. I did this only once mind you. I would think rebalancing, if it is in fact the problem, would be a one-time (or at least an every so often) task and not one you need to perform multiple times in a row to see the desired result.

As for my charging routine - I tend to run the car between 35 and 80% normally, charging probably 3 times a week at work on a 20-32A level-2 charger. I do go on extended road trips with lots of supercharging as well, but don't supercharger much in between.

Thanks for the info - certainly lots of different opinions out there on this. I'll consider trying multiple full charging cycles to see if it makes a difference.

I don't know if it applies to the X as well (although I assume it would be similar) -- but the Model 3's theory of operation guide calls out to do basically exactly the above to get the cells balanced. It happens very slowly - one mV about every 24 hours - and only runs when the vehicle is over 85% charge and sleeping. So, yeah. Set it to 90% and let it do its thing.

FWIW, on my July built Raven LR, I always charge to 90% except for trips (three times to 100%), have supercharged about twenty times, never taken the battery below 35% and my range is exactly what it was when new... 325 at 100%, 294 at 90%. I have not seen any degradation at all in my first 7500 miles.

I picked up my performance raven X on August 1, it had 5 miles on it, and showed 270 range @ 90% charge. It now has 12,750 miles, and shows 269 miles at 90% charge. I have supercharged about 10 times, never above 80% when supercharging, gone on a few trips that took it as low as 13%, but all the time I am at home I keep it plugged in, set to 90% charge. Even if I’m going out later, and the SOC is 80% or so, I plug my car in every time I am home. Pretty happy with my battery so far.