Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Degradation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Problem description: degradation of battery

Over the last several months I have noticed that my range at 90% charge was losing about 3-4 miles of range over time. Today, however, after supercharging, I noticed that my range dropped by about 20+ miles at 90% charge. Tesla refuses to give me a detailed analysis as to what is causing this degradation. I would like to speak with the TESLA second their support personnel and have them give me an answer as to what is happening. I hope I am not driving a very expensive soon-to-be paperweight. Does anyone have a phone number for their senior support?

How old is the car?

But you may not have a problem. The “range” you see is based on calculations made by the BMS and includes your average wh/Mi as well as battery temperature. If you can, run down your battery to single digits and then charge it to 100% at home. Ensure it completes the charge several hours before you look at the projected miles and see what it says.

Upvote 0
How new is your vehicle? The first year always has the biggest drop in mileage. It tapers off after that. Just like @ATPMSD said, there are also tons of factors that dictate projected range. I would humbly suggest changing to percentage instead of miles so you don’t have to obsess over it and can just enjoy the car. If longevity is something that concerns you, there are tons of threads on here on good charging practices that help increase the life of the battery, such as charging frequently only a few percent daily instead of letting it go down to low and charging back up, and keeping the battery at that 45-65% sweet spot.

Reactions: Eric33432
Upvote 0
I would like to speak with the TESLA second their support personnel and have them give me an answer as to what is happening.
That’s not gonna happen unless you walk yourself into a service center and make a scene. And maybe not even then.
I hope I am not driving a very expensive soon-to-be paperweight.
This is what the battery warranty is for, and it does not cover degradation until you have lost more than 30% of your rated range (or maybe not at all depending on the age of your car), so if you’re less than that you’re just wasting your time.
Does anyone have a phone number for their senior support?
No such number exists.

Upvote 0
I installed a S3XY button Commander yesterday and discovered it gave me statistics on the battery. My 2023 MYP is now 9 months old with 10,500 miles, and degradation is reported as 8.8%. I've long heard to expect it to stabilize at about a 10% loss after a year. Seems right on track for this type of battery pack.

Upvote 0
losing about 3-4 miles of range over time

Welcome to the site. Do yourself a favor and change the display from miles to %. Also, there are many long running threads on the site about how to measure and monitor battery degradation. You need to spend time reading these threads to fully understand some of the references (BMS) and advice given above. Your car is fine, but you need to do the reading to understand what's going on before sweating a few miles variance. Also, it's helpful to tell us what car you're driving, age, miles, etc. It matters.

Upvote 0