Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Concrete Garage No Wireless Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in a condo made of concrete and the unattached garage is the same type of construction and I don't have wireless service to my garage and therefore don't get updates. The garage is only about 20' from my back bedroom which has reduced wireless. I an not a tech and can hardly understand some of the posts. My router is located at the far end of my condo. What are some possible solutions to getting software updates?

I live in a condo made of concrete and the unattached garage is the same type of construction and I don't have wireless service to my garage and therefore don't get updates. The garage is only about 20' from my back bedroom which has reduced wireless. I an not a tech and can hardly understand some of the posts. My router is located at the far end of my condo. What are some possible solutions to getting software updates?
Here’s a good article:
The differences between a WiFi booster, WiFi extender and WiFi repeater. Unhappy with your WiFi? The term WiFi booster was a catch-all phrase for devices that extended a WiFi signal, including a WiFi repeater, WiFi extender or WiFi Range Extender. Learn how they are different. - Actiontec.com

WiFi Networking Equipment for Home & Business | TP-Link

There are many brands on the market such as D-Link, TP Link, and others. I have the TP Link and it works perfectly.

Google mesh network to extend range of your router. Think of them as repeater antennas. One will hardwire into router. Place a second halfway between router and window. Have one in your bedroom and park your car in line of sight of window. I use my mesh and they are much more than 20 feet apart. Wi-Fi will be stronger throughout house.
https://smile.amazon.com/Google-WiFi-system-3-Pack-replacement/dp/B01MAW2294/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3V909TPMDTFN&keywords=google+mesh+wifi+3+pack&qid=1558209794&s=gateway&sprefix=Google+mesh,aps,177&sr=8-3

As other members have mentioned, the best solution is to setup a 3 node mesh wifi system. Probably.

However, that also depends on whether wifi can penetrate the concrete and reach your garage. (and if you're ready to spend $250)

IF you're okay with the wifi for the rest of your house, or if it's unlikely that wifi can reach your garage from the rest of your condo, another solution is to spend $60 on a powerline WiFi extender. To use a powerline extender, you hook up one node near your router, and then plug the second node to an outlet in your garage. Performance depends on your condo's wiring but in most cases you'll have more than enough bandwidth for receiving updates.

Here's one extender you can check out:
https://www.amazon.com/Tenda-Powerline-Extender-Ethernet-PH5/dp/B078PH3QBD/ref=sr_1_16

As for mesh network, TP-Link has a 3 node set for around $160 right now. Google makes a nice system but I don't think it's $100 better.
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Deco-Whole-Home-System/dp/B06WVCB862/ref=sr_1_3

As other members have mentioned, the best solution is to setup a 3 node mesh wifi system. Probably.

However, that also depends on whether wifi can penetrate the concrete and reach your garage. (and if you're ready to spend $250)

IF you're okay with the wifi for the rest of your house, or if it's unlikely that wifi can reach your garage from the rest of your condo, another solution is to spend $60 on a powerline WiFi extender. To use a powerline extender, you hook up one node near your router, and then plug the second node to an outlet in your garage. Performance depends on your condo's wiring but in most cases you'll have more than enough bandwidth for receiving updates.

https://www.amazon.com/Tenda-Powerline-Extender-Ethernet-PH5/dp/B078PH3QBD/ref=sr_1_16

As for mesh network, TP-Link has a 3 node set for around $160 right now. Google makes a nice system but I don't think it's $100 better.

Thank you very helpful I'm going to try a $39 range extender first and then go up from thee if it doesn't work.

Thank you!

Hi @Lanzer,
I do have the same problem and I already tried to fix it with a Powerline from TP-Link. No luck so far.
The wifi itself works fine from my garage (my smartphone easily connects there) by my M3 doesn't seem to like it.
It doesn't connect even if the signal is very strong.

In your answer you mentioned "As other members have mentioned, the best solution is to setup a 3 node mesh wifi system. Probably."
can you please provide a specific link I can double check?

thanks for your help!
bi

Hi @Lanzer,
I do have the same problem and I already tried to fix it with a Powerline from TP-Link. No luck so far.
The wifi itself works fine from my garage (my smartphone easily connects there) by my M3 doesn't seem to like it.
It doesn't connect even if the signal is very strong.

In your answer you mentioned "As other members have mentioned, the best solution is to setup a 3 node mesh wifi system. Probably."
can you please provide a specific link I can double check?

thanks for your help!
bi

I wouldn't be able to make any good suggestions without some troubleshooting. Before I start, have you checked out this page about connecting to WiFi?
WiFi Guide and Troubleshooter for Tesla Vehicles | TeslaTap

If the 3 has trouble connecting to your wifi, here's what I would do to troubleshoot:

- I'd like to know exactly what "my M3 doesn't seem to like it" means. Did you get an error message? Did the wifi channel show up in the channel selection? What exactly do you see on the screen that leads you to not be able to connect?
- Make sure that your WiFi is setup for WPA2 authentication
- There might be problem connecting to your TP-Link Powerline bridge for whatever reason. Try removing your main wireless router from you home, bring it into the garage and only plug in the power. See if the Model 3 can connect to the WiFi with the router in close proximity.
- Another thing to try and test is to remove the WiFi password temporarily, and try connecting with the Model 3. This could help determine if the issue has anything to do with the authentication handshake.

There's almost no reason for your Model 3 to not be able to connect to your router that's sitting in the same room. If you can connect, then the next step would be to compare the WiFi setting between the router and the TP-Link extender. Good luck.

• Informative
Reactions: Runt8
I’m in the same situation. So far, twice, I’ve tethered my car to my iPhone. It took about 30 mins each time, but it worked. Another solution I’ve heard is to park outside of Starbucks. Haven’t tried that yet.

Also, just curious, how close to the car can you get before your phone loses reception? Because if you can get close enough to do a hotspot and still have cellular, you could connect your car to that hotspot. But I don't know your setup. Otherwise, if you can't do that, as others have mentioned, you'll need to get some kind of wifi extender (or coffee shop, lol).

So, the really expensive, option, which I did as I park my Tesla in a workshop which doesn't have cell service either, is to run a Cat 6 cable to your garage, and hook up a PoE Wireless router in the garage, and hook it to a PoE switch in your house - I also put up some PoE security cameras at the same time.

It enables my phone to work, and has cameras in about the only room where there's anything worth stealing.

• Helpful
Reactions: SageBrush
I wouldn't be able to make any good suggestions without some troubleshooting. Before I start, have you checked out this page about connecting to WiFi?
WiFi Guide and Troubleshooter for Tesla Vehicles | TeslaTap

If the 3 has trouble connecting to your wifi, here's what I would do to troubleshoot:

- I'd like to know exactly what "my M3 doesn't seem to like it" means. Did you get an error message? Did the wifi channel show up in the channel selection? What exactly do you see on the screen that leads you to not be able to connect?
- Make sure that your WiFi is setup for WPA2 authentication
- There might be problem connecting to your TP-Link Powerline bridge for whatever reason. Try removing your main wireless router from you home, bring it into the garage and only plug in the power. See if the Model 3 can connect to the WiFi with the router in close proximity.
- Another thing to try and test is to remove the WiFi password temporarily, and try connecting with the Model 3. This could help determine if the issue has anything to do with the authentication handshake.

There's almost no reason for your Model 3 to not be able to connect to your router that's sitting in the same room. If you can connect, then the next step would be to compare the WiFi setting between the router and the TP-Link extender. Good luck.

thanks for your message, much appreciated.
Unfortunately I already checked that page and I tried to apply actions there presented when relevant.

What happen is that:
- my M3 see the wifi with max signal
- I select it, enter the pwd and after 30sec I receive a generic error: "Can't connect to wifi <my wifi name>" - "Please verify your pwd"
- BTW obviously I know the pwd is correct, it works fine on my smartphone

>>>>- Make sure that your WiFi is setup for WPA2 authentication
- the wifi has WPA2 authentication

I do agree that the problem most probably is on about M3 vs Powerline but I'm not sure I can do the test you're asking me.
My wifi is together with my finer line, and since I don't have any fibre at the garage how can I move it there?
Or better I could move it there, maybe the wifi will connect, but I won't go to internet because there's no external line

I already tried, no luck

I tried also to:
force the wifi to work on a specific channel
create a guest network where m3 is the only device
change the VLAN addresses because the guide said that it may cause conflict with internal one (I had 192.168.1.XX, I tried 192.168.2.XX)

No luck.

I tried to use the hotspot of my smartphone and it connected fine, I don't have evidences that it actually works because I can't use the browser from M3 (no premium intern) and it didn't download the m3 sw update in that timeframe. But I'm confident that if it connects it should go the internet.

Jus to said I moved my wifi to the garage, the M3 was able to see the "original" network (so no Powerline involved) but when it tried to connect it returned a different error (Can't reach <wifi name>. Can't get an IP address, Check DHCP server settings) but I believe this one is due to the fact that there was no line there, just a wifi hotspot.

Tomorrow I plan to go to a friend where his wifi is reachable from the road, let's see how it goes.

I'm worried that M3 will connect there but V10 won't be downloaded, I already tried this using the hotspot from my smartphone and it didn't download anything.

Keep you posted.
Thanks for your help

Just tried to re-configure the Powerline with WPS (so now the network in the garage has the same user/pwd of the network at home) but no luck.

I also disabled DLNA, Print Server and File Sharing on the wifi, no luck.
this is driving me nuts!