Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Y open garage door without myQ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found that homelink generally closes the garage farther away from my house than the clicker.. so I see the garage door completely closed with the clicker as opposed to homelink where I had to slow down leaving the house if I wanted to make sure it closed all the way.... Of course I have myq on my phone anyway just in case
BTW you can program the distance where you want the HomeLink to trigger. I have it trigger the door as I am entering my driveway so that the door is fully open by the time I get to the door and close it immediately as I am backing out of the garage and I can see it close before I exit my driveway. Pretty neat with HomeLink!

BTW you can program the distance where you want the HomeLink to trigger. I have it trigger the door as I am entering my driveway so that the door is fully open by the time I get to the door and close it immediately as I am backing out of the garage and I can see it close before I exit my driveway. Pretty neat with HomeLink!
I found I could never get it to close as close to my garage as a clicker can.. I can close my garage with clicker just inches from door while homelink needed at least 20 feet or so

Basically I don't feel the need to pay $350 for something that doesn't work as good as my clicker

Last edited:
Reactions: arvindm
I found I could never get it to close as close to my garage as a clicker can.. I can close my garage with clicker just inches from door while homelink needed at least 20 feet or so

Basically I don't feel the need to pay $350 for something that doesn't work as good as my clicker
Homelink does the auto open/close based on the GPS location of your car, and that isn't accurate down to inches.
Now if you manually close the garage door using homelink (not automatically based on your location), then it will also close it from anywhere, no matter how close you are (even inside the garage) or if you are across the ocean in Japan, as long as the car has a solid wifi of cell signal connection.

In my case, our first half mile drive from the house is a dead spot with no connection. So homelink always lost it's connection when I drove away, while being in the "garage closing" state. Unfortunately, homelink could pretty much never recover from that, I call it a bug in their software. It would show "garage door closing" forever, and then act erratically at times. Including two times when homelink was so confused about the state of the garage door that it opened it when I was miles away. It probably just sent another "close garage door" signal while being confused, and since the homelink module is operating no different than a clicker, the "close" signal is actually an "open garage door" signal when the garage door was already closed.
It was frustrating, not worth my time and an open house whenever homelink was in the weeds, LOL.

Last edited:
Reactions: arvindm
Homelink does the auto open/close based on the GPS location of your car, and that isn't accurate down to inches.
Now if you manually close the garage door using homelink (not automatically based on your location), then it will also close it from anywhere, no matter how close you are (even inside the garage) or if you are across the ocean in Japan, as long as the car has a solid wifi of cell signal connection.

In my case, our first half mile drive from the house is a dead spot with no connection. So homelink always lost it's connection when I drove away, while being in the "garage closing" state. Unfortunately, homelink could pretty much never recover from that, I call it a bug in their software. It would show "garage door closing" forever, and then act erratically at times. Including two times when homelink was so confused about the state of the garage door that it opened it when I was miles away. It probably just sent another "close garage door" signal while being confused, and since the homelink module is operating no different than a clicker, the "close" signal is actually an "open garage door" signal when the garage door was already closed.
It was frustrating, not worth my time and an open house whenever homelink was in the weeds, LOL.

To build off of that, Homelink on the Tesla screen is not able to tell you if the door is opened or closed, so you have to visually confirm, right? Or if you have MyQ, you can look there.

Homelink doesn't use wifi or cell it uses RF afaik

Ouch. I keep on saying "homelink", but was really referring to "MyQ".
You are right.
So the following issue you had was with MyQ NOT Homelink?

My Tesla-myQ free trial ended today and I didn’t pay to subscribe because it was flakey. I believe the problems I experienced were all related to latency of the Internet and/or their servers.

It worked fine about 80-90% of the time but I often arrived home and had to wait in my driveway for a couple of minutes for the door to open. Often it never opened and ERROR was displayed on my touchscreen where OPEN or CLOSED is normally displayed. My guess is that it timed out without seeing the door open.

Chamberlain and Tesla support had me reboot, relink and reinstall everything and both blamed the other. They both said diagnostics from their side showed no problem.

I’ve had the free version of myQ on my iPhone for 10 years and never had a problem and Amazon delivers in my garage using myQ without problems. Maybe the Tesla-myQ service uses different servers and maybe they're overloaded. It's also possible that Tesla's real-time application, by its nature, is more sensitive to delays.

My last two Teslas used Homelink for 10 years without problems. However, using myQ looked good because it had some nice features that Homelink doesn’t have. I may give myQ a try again some day, but for now I’ll use Homelink.

My Tesla-myQ free trial ended today and I didn’t pay to subscribe because it was flakey. I believe the problems I experienced were all related to latency of the Internet and/or their servers.

It worked fine about 80-90% of the time but I often arrived home and had to wait in my driveway for a couple of minutes for the door to open. Often it never opened and ERROR was displayed on my touchscreen where OPEN or CLOSED is normally displayed. My guess is that it timed out without seeing the door open.

Chamberlain and Tesla support had me reboot, relink and reinstall everything and both blamed the other. They both said diagnostics from their side showed no problem.

I’ve had the free version of myQ on my iPhone for 10 years and never had a problem and Amazon delivers in my garage using myQ without problems. Maybe the Tesla-myQ service uses different servers and maybe they're overloaded. It's also possible that Tesla's real-time application, by its nature, is more sensitive to delays.

My last two Teslas used Homelink for 10 years without problems. However, using myQ looked good because it had some nice features that Homelink doesn’t have. I may give myQ a try again some day, but for now I’ll use Homelink.
Waiting for minutes to open...incredible and horrible. I would not tolerate even 10 seconds. Mine just opens instantly once my car is in the distance, it's been very reliable so far.

are you sure your car has good cell connection when pulling up to your house?

Waiting for minutes to open...incredible and horrible. I would not tolerate even 10 seconds. Mine just opens instantly once my car is in the distance, it's been very reliable so far.
Mine opened instantly 80-90% of the time. Also when I test with the myQ iPhone app, its mostly instant but never worse than 5 seconds. It sure looks like something different about the Tesla-myQ integration is causing the delay.

That's the first thing I suspected. Its always 4 bars of LTE. Even inside the garage.
LTE bars are misleading. It only tells you the strength of the signal and not the transmission of data. You can have all bars light up but still have very poor internet connection! Once you get close enough, your cell phone should be able to pick up your Wi-Fi and connect to it with very little delay, generally a few seconds which is acceptable given the circumstances. HomeLink is definitely superior to MyQ but it all depends on what works the best for you.

LTE bars are misleading. It only tells you the strength of the signal and not the transmission of data. You can have all bars light up but still have very poor internet connection! Once you get close enough, your cell phone should be able to pick up your Wi-Fi and connect to it with very little delay, generally a few seconds which is acceptable given the circumstances. HomeLink is definitely superior to MyQ but it all depends on what works the best for you.
Since my iPhone's myQ works and my car's myQ is delayed, the problem could well be constant retries from the car that eventually get through. I'm wondering what test I could do to prove the delay is caused by the car's poor Internet connection.

Since my iPhone's myQ works and my car's myQ is delayed, the problem could well be constant retries from the car that eventually get through. I'm wondering what test I could do to prove the delay is caused by the car's poor Internet connection.
Run a speed test on your internet browser. It should give you the latency and internet speeds. High latency may result in delay in opening the door. Try opening the garage door with your phone first and compare the delay when MyQ does it. If there is a significant delay in the car MyQ vs the Phone MyQ app then you know who to blame!

You are willing to pay for the subscription to do more testing? Your trial has expired, right?
I have experienced similar symptoms during my myQ trial, only that in my case it worked 10-15% of the time and failed 85-90%, lol. (not really kidding though).
I am sure in my case a poor cell connection was to blame.
Did you ever experience that when you pulled away, it shows "closing", forever, and doesn't recover?