Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Y open garage door without myQ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an old LiftMaster garage door opener. It doesn't support MyQ.
My 2018 Model 3 "learned" the door opener clicker code and was able to open the door from the car touch screen however we can't figure out how to get my new 2023 Model Y to do that.
Is it possible?
I'm confused about HomeLink and myQ. Even if I were to get a new garage door opener, would I then have to pay a monthly subscription fee to myQ in order to get the car to open the door? That seems ridiculous. But perhaps I just don't understand the process.
thanks for the help in advance.

Reactions: idealsol
New tesla Ys and 3s do not come with Homelink standard, like your 2018 did, so the answer to your thread question (which is "Can Y open garage door without MyQ") is:

"Yes, if you purchase homelink and have Tesla install it. Homelink does not require a subscription but does require a purchase of the module. MyQ requires a subscription if you do it the normal way".

I recommend either buying homelink, if you want to duplicate the experience from your 2018 vehicle, or , using the garage door clicker for free that you already have.

One thing to note about HomeLink installation. I've been told by Tesla that they no longer want to do those installs via mobile technician. They prefer you to make service center appointments for it now. They also told me that they no longer help you program the remotes (this seems obvious, since they wouldn't be at your home to do it, but they pointed it out to me when I called).

• Informative
Reactions: Mike_TV
One thing to note about HomeLink installation. I've been told by Tesla that they no longer want to do those installs via mobile technician.
This is true. On my car, a year ago, the hardware was shipped to my house with instructions not to open the package and a mobile tech came and installed it in my driveway. On my SILs car, last September, the hardware could only be shipped to and installed at the SC.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
FWIW, its easy to use MyQ with any HomeLink garage door opener. There is an inexpensive MyQ kit that converts MyQ commands to HomeLink. It contains two garage mounted devices: (1) a sensor attached to the door to monitor its open/close status, and (2) a MyQ device signed onto your WiFi that transmits HomeLink commands based on your MyQ inputs.

When I signed up for the Tesla MyQ free trial, it included an offer for one of those kits for 1 cent and free shipping. I took the offer, of course and it will end up a gift to someone. Don't know if the trial includes that offer now but it did a month ago and seems logical for them to do that since the $45 annual subscription is less appealing if you also have to buy such a kit. I mean all you get for the MyQ Tesla integration is automatic opening. You can always use the MyQ phone app to open and close the door manually for free.

Amazon has previously offered the kit for free at times as an incentive to use their delivery option that allows drivers to leave packages inside your garage. I got a kit that way once years ago but disabled that option before placing my next order. Didn't want strangers in my garage.

I'm confused about HomeLink and myQ. Even if I were to get a new garage door opener, would I then have to pay a monthly subscription fee to myQ in order to get the car to open the door? That seems ridiculous. But perhaps I just don't understand the process.

HomeLink and myQ are two completely different garage door management systems that are unrelated to each other from a systems/usage standpoint. HomeLink is a system that will control a garage door just like a standard garage door remote controller will and requires special hardware (the part that acts like a remote control). myQ is a system that uses internet connectivity to control a garage door via communication with the door opener itself, and you can trigger the door via your car (with its internet connection) or an app on your smartphone or some other smart home device.

As others have mentioned, Tesla stopped including the HomeLink module in new cars so you have to get it separately. It's totally possible to buy it yourself and install it. There's plenty of good info in this thread. I bought the module off of eBay for nearly half of what Tesla charges and installed it myself in about 30 minutes (going very slowly to be careful). I preferred HomeLink since it's a single purchase with no ongoing subscription, and the garage doors I want to control are older and don't have any myQ capability (you can control up to 3 garage doors with a HomeLink module).

Reactions: amoney805
My 2018 Model 3 "learned" the door opener clicker code and was able to open the door from the car touch screen however we can't figure out how to get my new 2023 Model Y to do that.
Is it possible?
Just velcro the garage door opener on the back of the touchscreen.
out of sight, easy to reach.
Done.

Reactions: Skavatar and Kupe
The way I read it is that his garage door is out of wifi range, and with that, myq isn't going to work. The opener needs a wifi signal to be controllable.

Yes exactly. The garage door and gate are out of WiFi range so myQ won’t work.
So how are you getting updates on your Tesla, tethering to your phone? Have you tried getting a WiFi extender? They're pretty cheap. That's how I got my wall connector, Tesla (and myQ unit) connected in the garage. Also note that 2.4 GHz signals (which is what you need) travel and penetrate a lot farther than 5 GHz. The latter's advantage is speed and security.

Reactions: flixden
So how are you getting updates on your Tesla, tethering to your phone? Have you tried getting a WiFi extender? They're pretty cheap. That's how I got my wall connector, Tesla (and myQ unit) connected in the garage. Also note that 2.4 GHz signals (which is what you need) travel and penetrate a lot farther than 5 GHz. The latter's advantage is speed and security.
For the garage I probably could do that. When I want to get updates I can park the car next to my house for a bit (I'd just rather not do that too often, though, because I live in a field and there are a lot of rodents that love wires). But, I'd still be totally out of luck on the gate. It's about 650-700ft away from the nearest building, and I honestly don't want to install a wifi extender that blasts wifi all the way out towards the road anyway.

So, I think I'm left in position where installing wifi extenders (I'd need a couple) and adding gateways to control the garage door and gate would quickly add up to basically the cost of installing the HomeLink device. Plus, when I move, I don't have to do anything to use it in my next home either.

Reactions: Hoosier-Daddy
Is it possible?

I have had the exact same experience. I traded in my Model 3, which connected, I think via HomeLink, easily to open my garage door. When I got the Model Y it required MyQ to set up. My garage doors do have MyQ, but my router does not have enough 2.4G signal to reach the outer corner of the garage, so it won't connect. Even if I got it to work, after 30 days MyQ requires a subscription of $40/year just to use your garage door. I agree that this is ridiculous.