Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Conducting an off-grid test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This seems like a really stupid question, but I haven't been able to puzzle it out on my own. I *thought* I knew how to disconnect my house from the grid, but apparently I don't. I recently received PTO for my 3 PW + Solar Roof installation. I have my whole house backed up (no loads were separated out when the system was designed / installed). What is the proper / correct way to disconnect my house from the grid while leaving the PWs and solar operating (i.e. simulate a grid power failure)?

Go to the panel that has the electrical meter on it. It should be one that has a big (~2") conduit coming into it.

You will find a single large switch in that panel. That is your grid disconnect. Throwing it should show the power exchange on the meter to go to 0, if you have no loads on that panel. Your house (backed up panel) should continue to operatate.

If you are uncertain post a picture of the panel and we can verify before you throw the switch.

• Informative
Reactions: dortor4ev
Go to the panel that has the electrical meter on it. It should be one that has a big (~2") conduit coming into it.

You will find a single large switch in that panel. That is your grid disconnect. Throwing it should show the power exchange on the meter to go to 0, if you have no loads on that panel. Your house (backed up panel) should continue to operatate.

If you are uncertain post a picture of the panel and we can verify before you throw the switch.

Thank you!! I completely overlooked that panel originally.

Reactions: dortor4ev