Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PW disconnect inside or outside?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a second PW2 installed yesterday. First was installed about four years ago. They are located in the middle of the walk-out basement.

Yesterday, installer was telling me code four years ago did not require PW disconnect to be outside by my solar disconnect. Disconnect is next to PWs in basement. Now, code requires it.

Having the disconnect outside seems like a good idea as far as the fire department is concerned. It would be a bit of work and expense (2 gauge, I think, maybe 45 ft). Don't know if installer would charge me for it.

Seems that even if PWs disconnected outside, PW power switch is still on and even if off, if its 100% full, as it always is, would still be a safety hazard in some ways.

Anybody know when that became international or national code and/or the citation? Should I get it done? Thanks.

Last edited:
-Do you want to pass local inspection and obtain PTO?
-Do you trust the electrician you hired to know the codes/laws he must abide by?
-Why do you think it’s 2AWG wire for a 30-40a powerwall?
--Per installer, no permit/inspection required for additional PW.
--I do trust the installer.
--I asked installer what AWG would be required for disconnect. He eyeballed what I have already on main panel and he admittedly guessed it would likely be 2AWG, but by no means was making an official pronouncement. Probably somebody else's job at the company.

--Per installer, no permit/inspection required for additional PW.
--I do trust the installer.
--I asked installer what AWG would be required for disconnect. He eyeballed what I have already on main panel and he admittedly guessed it would likely be 2AWG, but by no means was making an official pronouncement. Probably somebody else's job at the company.
Interesting. I’m unaware of where you’re at, but typically all installs have to be inspected. PTO side may be different in your location.

I’d let the installer do things to code. Heaven forbid something happen later and insurance says, “not to code” then denies your claim.

Interesting. I’m unaware of where you’re at, but typically all installs have to be inspected. PTO side may be different in your location.

I’d let the installer do things to code. Heaven forbid something happen later and insurance says, “not to code” then denies your claim.
Kansas City area. Apparently, only initial installs need permit/inspection (same as if I added PV panels). Additions do not. There is no PTO. Installer just turns it on.

I will check with inspector next week to see if this is correct. Thanks.

• Informative
Reactions: buckets0fun
I don't know if it will work for your situation, but Tesla supports a low voltage Emergency Power Off remote switch. I would ask your installer if this can be applied to your situation to allow emergency personnel to shut down your Powerwalls from outside in an emergency.

@miimura & @Vines , I have a GW1 & PW2. Is there any way to use remote battery disconnect? If not, changing Gateways seems easier (more expensive?) than running new cables. Any other benefits to GW2? Thanks.
GW1 is not compatible with the remote battery disconnect button that I know of.

GW2 would be an option from my perspective and would give PCS control as well. This may or may not be helpful to your design. It also has other features that might be useful such as load shedding.