Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Configuration of 20 Inch Wheels & Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Go with 21" as the 19" option consistently and noticeably overestimated vehicle speed. I used Waze to check actual MPH and the 21" option was always accurate. I also have 20" wheels on a 2015, running 245/40 tires all around.
Thanks for the information. It is greatly appreciated. I will follow your advice. I am going with a staggered look with 255/40 in front and 285/35 on rear.

Question....I'm about to order a set of 20s. Coming from the stock 19s, my initial thought was to go with a square setup (255s all around) to minimize road noise and possibly keep the similar range. Do you noticed a difference with road noise running a staggered setup and with more tire/road contact, did you notice a drop in range?

Squaare 255 may rub up front. I stayed with 245s and tire noise went up slightly from the stock MXM4s to A/S 3+ on 20" wheels. Efficiency also took about a 5% hit. It will be slightly higher for the first 1,000 miles or so as the tires break in. Ride comfort is a touch harsher than stock, but not objectionable, even with the plus suspension.

The car does handle and brake MUCH better than the stock setup though.

Question....I'm about to order a set of 20s. Coming from the stock 19s, my initial thought was to go with a square setup (255s all around) to minimize road noise and possibly keep the similar range. Do you noticed a difference with road noise running a staggered setup and with more tire/road contact, did you notice a drop in range?
No I have not noticed a difference in road noise but I have noticed a smoother ride in my opinion. I did initially notice about a five mile drop in range at first but my range has returned to where it was prior to adding the 20"s staggered. I do have rubbing when I am in reverse and turning the wheels with the front wheels due to them being 255's so I highly recommend going no larger than 245 in the front. I will eventually replace my fronts with 245's to rid the rubbing.

No I have not noticed a difference in road noise but I have noticed a smoother ride in my opinion. I did initially notice about a five mile drop in range at first but my range has returned to where it was prior to adding the 20"s staggered. I do have rubbing when I am in reverse and turning the wheels with the front wheels due to them being 255's so I highly recommend going no larger than 245 in the front. I will eventually replace my fronts with 245's to rid the rubbing.
Thanks. Another question, just curious what your front wheel size and offset. Wondering if there's anyway to get away with the 255s in the front without rubbing ( diff offset, etc). Otherwise I'll just play it safe and go 245s. Thanks.

On my Plaid I purchased Forgestar 20x9.5 and 20x11 wheels. Offsets are 29 front and 36 rear. Tires are 265/40/20 Michelin Pilot All Season 4 front and 305/35/20 rear. No rubbing issues and I am lowered on N2itive lowering links. Love the set up. I did not change the tire configuration, speeding is spot on. Running 40psi front and 42 rear.
2BC08C09-9531-4B94-B671-3A37915E218F.jpeg

On my Plaid I purchased Forgestar 20x9.5 and 20x11 wheels. Offsets are 29 front and 36 rear. Tires are 265/40/20 Michelin Pilot All Season 4 front and 305/35/20 rear. No rubbing issues and I am lowered on N2itive lowering links. Love the set up. I did not change the tire configuration, speeding is spot on. Running 40psi front and 42 rear.
View attachment 790299
Note that the pre-refresh cars use different size wheels and offsets.

Thanks. Another question, just curious what your front wheel size and offset. Wondering if there's anyway to get away with the 255s in the front without rubbing ( diff offset, etc). Otherwise I'll just play it safe and go 245s. Thanks.
No there is really no way to avoid the rubbing which only occurs in reverse as I turn my wheels. I will check my offset and get back with you.

No there is really no way to avoid the rubbing which only occurs in reverse as I turn my wheels. I will check my offset and get back with you.

I was actually curious on the 255 rubbing, do you mind sharing your offset/width of the wheels you went with? Not many Tesla owners want to stray away from the recommended 245, but I'm curious how many have been successful and what offset/width their wheels were.

It sounds like you are catching/bumping something on the wheel liner, but it sounds like your offset/width 'mostly' works.

I was actually curious on the 255 rubbing, do you mind sharing your offset/width of the wheels you went with? Not many Tesla owners want to stray away from the recommended 245, but I'm curious how many have been successful and what offset/width their wheels were.

It sounds like you are catching/bumping something on the wheel liner, but it sounds like your offset/width 'mostly' works.
I believe you are correct in your thought as to why it only rubs in reverse as I turn the wheel. I need to reinvestigate.