Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confirmed no model S / X interior refresh coming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those that didn't see on twitter:

Person asks: So like... @elonmusk when’s the refreshed Model X coming? Asking for a friend...

Brandon Havard on Twitter

Elon: There is no “refreshed” Model X or Model S coming, only a series of minor ongoing changes. Most significant change in past few years was to use high efficiency Model 3 rear drive unit as S/X front drive unit. That went into production 3 months ago.

Elon Musk on Twitter

Person replies: Will we be seeing an interior revamp anytime soon though? Appreciate the reply!

Brandon Havard on Twitter

Elon: NO

Elon Musk on Twitter

FWIW Elon is clearly talking about near term, not long term, but for anyone holding out for the refresh, I doubt it will be this year.

I always thought the interior refresh idea was a bit odd at this stage. Considering the S is of 2012 vintage they should be looking at a new model in the next couple of years, assuming they stay in this market. The X is approaching middle age too in terms of a typical product cycle. I do wonder about the future of top end Tesla models with Model Y coming out relatively soon and the pickup. Do they have the capacity to redesign the Model S/X? How long can you realistically sell a 2012 model, even though it has been improved considerably over the years?

But it's a 2012 model still ahead of the competition

Very true, but some of the ways it's ahead are ways in which the 3 is also ahead. And ways in which the competition should get close fairly soon. And quite a few S buyers would've bought a class down had it existed.

Given their reasons for going roadster then S(&X) then 3, what does their product line look like once the 3 and Y are fully up and running? Would you develop a new relatively very low volume product requiring a different production line, even if per unit gross margin was good? I guess not that appealing against other priorities...

I would much rather Tesla devoted resources to new models such as the pick-up, rather than try to redesign the already good model S and X. Great if they update as improved technology comes available, but that is what is already happening.

It is a strange facet of the modern world that people expect products redesigned every few years, for no reason other than a change.

what does their product line look like once the 3 and Y are fully up and running?

Once FSD is up and running then one option is that they stop making cars for sale period. Just make Robo Taxis ...

Would you develop a new relatively very low volume product requiring a different production line, even if per unit gross margin was good?

Faster than anything else, no more expensive, ground breaking in some other ways (Supercharger? Fart mode? :) but there are other things: Better OTA; FSD; minimalist cabin ...)

its good for PR that it can burn anything off at the lights.

Roadster II will do that ... but not at an affordable price tag. Pickup might ("Will drive like a 911" is I think what Elon said ...)

I would much rather Tesla devoted resources to new models such as the pick-up, rather than try to redesign the already good model S and X.

Model-S and X are cash cows with falling sales as they get dated. Cheaper to tart that up, to generate revenue, than all the hassle of a new product ... but I expect Elon is aiming for both. If a refresh made the exterior look different a load of people would buy it "just to be seen to have it" ... Human Nature and all that ...

It is a strange facet of the modern world that people expect products redesigned every few years, for no reason other than a change.

Agreed. And what Tesla have done, so far, is to enhance the existing model. Maybe that WILL be all that Tesla do ... some incremental changes. Sticking another 20-30kWh in there would differentiate it from the rest (although maybe current 300 mile range is enough for a few years - that's still 25% more than e.g. iPace, and all the current offerings at the top end are similarly bloated, can't see anything top-end being over 250 miles range in near future.

But it's a 2012 model still ahead of the competition

But there's ultimately a limit for how long you can soldier on with a 2012 model. Right now I think it still looks pretty good, partly because it was such a forward thinking platform and partly because there is very little competition. But if there is no new model by say 2021/22 I think it will die a death as current owners want something different and there is finally some fresh competition. The cheaper M3 is already starting to make the S/X look a bit long in the tooth in some respects. I really hope there is an all new Model X by 2022 or we will probably look elsewhere to replace our current one unless of course there really is still nothing else on the scene!

Well a typical automotive product cycle is say 6 or 7 years. Rarely does a new model come out that is not significantly better than the model it directly replaces. Engineers don't sit around for that length of time doing nothing! Yes there is some cosmetic pandering to the market (typical facelifts for example), but actual engineering also moves on. Compare any car to its direct equivalent 10 or 20 years ago and you see massive progress in every respect.