Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confrontation at Woodstock Supercharger!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charging yesterday and there was a jeep Wrangler parked in the Chademo station. It was also parked there last week on my way out to the States. As i was charging yesterday , a beat up Volkswagen pulled up to the 2nd of 3 Chademo spots and I politely asked the guy if he could perhaps park somewhere else as these are reserved for EV cars.
He was a big, muscular guy heading to the Good Life Fitness place and he said to me, Who are you? Why do you care? Are you the police? Needless to say he stormed off to the Fitness place without a care.
Another member of the club, who was walking from his car in the parking lot, observed the confrontation and he was very polite and civilized. He says he knows the guy and will try to talk to him about it inside the club.
I feel both the Tesla and Chademo spots are too close to the building there. Too convenient for lazy people to use. Last week, a mother and child in a minivan pulled in to the Chademo spots and I politely told her about the EV parking and she said, "I know" and proceeded to stay and park. They just don't care and don't understand.

At the Ann Arbour SC in Michigan, they have big cones in front of the stalls. Great idea! Certainly a deterrent for people.
I asked the Quality Inn at Woodstock, who owns the land and Fitness club, to perhaps place cones there as well. They liked the idea, so w'ell see what happens.
Of all the SC locations I've been to, this is by far the worst as far as Icing goes!

Charging yesterday and there was a jeep Wrangler parked in the Chademo station. It was also parked there last week on my way out to the States. As i was charging yesterday , a beat up Volkswagen pulled up to the 2nd of 3 Chademo spots and I politely asked the guy if he could perhaps park somewhere else as these are reserved for EV cars.
He was a big, muscular guy heading to the Good Life Fitness place and he said to me, Who are you? Why do you care? Are you the police? Needless to say he stormed off to the Fitness place without a care.
Another member of the club, who was walking from his car in the parking lot, observed the confrontation and he was very polite and civilized. He says he knows the guy and will try to talk to him about it inside the club.
I feel both the Tesla and Chademo spots are too close to the building there. Too convenient for lazy people to use. Last week, a mother and child in a minivan pulled in to the Chademo spots and I politely told her about the EV parking and she said, "I know" and proceeded to stay and park. They just don't care and don't understand.

At the Ann Arbour SC in Michigan, they have big cones in front of the stalls. Great idea! Certainly a deterrent for people.
I asked the Quality Inn at Woodstock, who owns the land and Fitness club, to perhaps place cones there as well. They liked the idea, so w'ell see what happens.
Of all the SC locations I've been to, this is by far the worst as far as Icing goes!
I'm not sure if the bolded was exactly what you said but, if so, you may wish to change your strategy to "EVs need these spots to refuel just like you need spots at a gas station." Otherwise we can come off like privileged brats who have preferred parking spots.

• Funny
  • Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler and IdaX
I feel both the Tesla and Chademo spots are too close to the building there.

This is common practice because the electricity source is usually in the building and it's much less expensive to locate the station close to the building. Most EV owners would rather have the spots farther away (less chance of ICEing), but again, too expensive to run wire out there.

I'm not sure if the bolded was exactly what you said but, if so, you may wish to change your strategy to "EVs need these spots to refuel just like you need spots at a gas station." Otherwise we can come off like privileged brats who have preferred parking spots.
Not sure how the bold text got on there as I didn't do it bold. My post doesn't seem to have it.
I did try to talk to the guy about EV cars needing the space just as gas cars need pumps but he would have nothing to do with me!
I also asked the Quality Inn if they could put up better signage too!

Reactions: Jaff

Haha and this happens in Canada? :D Try the same in some U.S. states...

The best way to educate would to get people to start using the CHAdeMO/CCS. However, those EV spaces aren't going to be used much for charging as long as the fee is $10/session. Write to Oxford County to explain that they would get much more business if they charged twenty or twenty five cents per minute instead.

6f42aa2dd34a2a41929ecbaf387011ae.jpg

Much needs to be done to heighten visibility and cure ignorance, but hell, we are not even respecting ourselves and eliminating indifference to overstaying SC visits yet. Ignorance or indifference.....same poison.
That may be an issue in SoCal but here in Canada it is rarely an issue. I have used the Woodstock SC several times and never seen more than one other car there - granted I haven't used it on very heavy travel times, like long weekends.

Reactions: Jaff
Public charging stalls should have retractable tire spikes or barriers that are lowered when a vehicle carrying a subscriber transponder approaches the stall or a subscriber card or credit card is swiped. When the vehicle leaves, the barrier is raised again. Signage should boldly and clearly warn of the presence of the spikes/barrier. If the parked vehicle does not engage in battery charging, a minimum fee will be charged to the subscriber account or credit card. This will discourage EV parking (non-charging) as well as ICEing.

This changes the perception of the stalls from being parking spaces to being service stations. After all, people don't leave their cars parked at gas pumps.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: rypalmer

Enough already. Time to start a Tesla gang. Someone here can certainly draw some colors for our vests.

• Funny
Reactions: XHabjab and Jaff

This is what anyone should expect when their rarely used personal spots sit right in front center. Charging sites should be at the back edge of the parking lot, not the front. People coming to charge are not necessarily going to the gym, and vice versa.

It's amazing how charging spots placed away from the store, gym, theater, front doors, don't get ICEd.